ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP trends  (Read 3012 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: DSP trends
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »

Back in the old(er) days, DSP units for live production were great and had a purpose - they replaced the crossovers/EQ/etc at FOH with a single black box.  That box helped save rack space, more precise, and could save/recall settings. 

Today though - mid/high end live production - DSP is built into the amps (d&b, L'Acoustics, TW Audio, Danley, and many more), and the amps/processing/speakers are a single package. 
Some amps have processing and are used with non-locked-down speakers (Powersoft, Lab.Gruppen, etc).
In the install world, DSP is incredibly powerful as it encompasses auto mixing, external control (tablets, iPads, etc), control over external gear (projectors/screens, video conference, system sequencing, cameras, etc).
At the low end of the price spectrum - "good enough" speaker processing is built into the speakers - and Meyer. 
At mid level self-powered speakers, such as Martin CDD, EAW Radius, others - the processing can be accessed over the network via computer.

It seems like the application for a stand-alone DSP is shrinking rapidly.  Remember all the XTA, Dolby Lake, and that level DSP's?  How many are still out there?  Is the market for stand-alone DSP's essentially gone?  Does it make sense to invest in, say, XTA or Lake LM anymore?  Or does it only make sense to think of speakers/amps/processing as a cohesive unit, and only if part that unit is lacking - do we try to fill in the gap? 

How many speaker manufacturers today even sell speakers without amps and processing, other than the lowest price points?  Fulcrum?   

I would strongly suggest that if you get a chance listen to a demo of Fulcrum Acoustic speakers. 

I was involved in 2019 with an install in a church that seats about 2000 of 21 Fulcrum Acoustics FA CCX 1295 speakers. The ceiling wasn’t high enough to do it any other way then a distributed layout. We used 3 4-channel power amps with all of the DSP built in. The room is wider then it is deep so the speakers are mirrored from one side to the other. Fulcrum supplied the speaker settings to load into the amps and I used the additional DSP capability in the amps to handle the delay and the routing and also the extremely minor EQ tweak for the room. The client really likes the new speaker system the way it is all setup. I didn’t specifically lock them out of the amps but they wouldn’t know how to get into them to mess with things that they shouldn’t.

The subs are a different brand with built in power amps. That part of the install I didn’t spec, they are under the stage and at the moment I have an output EQ on the mixer (Avid SC48) doing a little bit of out of band EQ. I said at the moment because I am going to be using DSPs that the church used to use on their old system to do a few things to the subs so someone can’t accidently change something in the SC48 and mess up these settings. This is one of the minor things that still needs to get done to finish this install. When you are trying to do a major sound system upgrade without interrupting their ability to still have the Sunday service in the room you sometimes have to do things to just make it work and deal with the finer things after the dust settles.

We also upgraded there IEM system (to eliminate the need for wedges) and now the only monitors in regular use are a couple of 8” coax monitors for speech monitoring on stage. Anyone speaking gets a little bit of themselves back in those monitors. These are EQed and limited with one of their existing DSPs so again they don’t mess with it. There existing RH bi-amped monitors (external power amps) are still able to be pulled out of a closet and used if they need to for special events. And they are processed by another external DPS.

Now how I deal with concert and theatrical work is another whole different subject.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »

We still use DSP on a systems level. As soon as you have a line array, subs, front fills, delays, it's best to have all that managed by a dedicated box with a lot of outputs and DSP on every output.

John P. Farrell

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 09:32:45 PM »

Pretty sure it's the exact reason you stated in your earlier post - putting the system DSP in the console gives a lot of people the heebie jeebies.  It was a good idea though.

I'm with most folks - although systems, and primarily speakers (whether amps in the box or next to the box) themselves have all the processing on board to make them "as good as they can be", there's still the need for another box to do all the distribution, zone alignment, console switching, etc., as well as being able to hand a tablet to the FOH mixerperson for their artistic swath of "voicing" at the front end of it all.  I don't think the Lake/Galileo/Newton market is going to go away any time soon because of this.

You got me!  I should have specified that I don't want to rely on the CONSOLE to process those items.  The Lake card would never work for a festival or club, for a tour it can be a space saver. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your above points. 

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 01:32:22 AM »

i dont use dsp. i use ashly xr1001 and xr4001 and custom built marchand crossovers and once set never adjust

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:24 AM »

I think it's time to Split the Hare (sorry, Bugs Bunny).

What most of *US* are using stand-alone DSP for these days is as a *system controller*, not loudspeaker processing.  The market for external loudspeaker processing is dropping to nil, but the market for system controllers as we use them is not expanding rapidly.  DSP for conference rooms, or for full campus/facility distribution is a growing and continuous market.  We get the crumbs and left overs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.