ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Who makes a decent spot?  (Read 4200 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Who makes a decent spot?
« on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:08 AM »

I would like to add a small spotlight to some outdoor shows. It would ideally be 120 Edison . What's out there? Thanks for your time..

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Who makes a decent spot?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »

I would like to add a small spotlight to some outdoor shows. It would ideally be 120 Edison . What's out there? Thanks for your time..

Guess that leaves a super trooper out of the question.  I used a Chauvet Ovation that I rented once and it was decent.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »

Unless you go for the "leko on a stick" type that is getting more and more popular your only real choice is an Altman Comet. I wouldn't call it decent but it is heavy and awkward to move. The good thing is all the finger pinching and sharp edges!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »

Unless you go for the "leko on a stick" type that is getting more and more popular your only real choice is an Altman Comet. I wouldn't call it decent but it is heavy and awkward to move. The good thing is all the finger pinching and sharp edges!

i love everything about this post....

It amazes me that after all these decades Altman STILL sells the Comet, largely unchanged from it's original.  Since they basically never die, i would think at this point we'd be overrun with them
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »

Had a band come through here with a Microh led 150 spot. I was quite impressed with the output and size.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »

You cant go wrong with a Lycian follow spot. They make small units that use 1000 watt FELs but I would recommend an arc based light if your budget and need permits.

http://www.lycian.com/index.html

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »

Ultra Quartz by Strong (used to be a Lycian product)
or the basic Strong Touperette -there has to be a million of those things used around the country.

Many of the small ones I've encountered lately don't have the zoom focusing capability and you end up having to use the iris to set your spot size.  Unfortunately the farther you get back, the larger the native spot diameter and you have to iris down even more.  The end result is a very dim spot at distances and a burnt iris if used this way for a long time.
I am astounded at how many of the small "mini" or compact followspots are plagued with this issue and you are way better off with the source-four at this size level. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:22:14 PM »

I am astounded at how many of the small "mini" or compact followspots are plagued with this issue and you are way better off with the source-four at this size level.

I tend to agree with this.  Between all the different flavors of Source 4s and their accessories, it’s hard to top this until you step up to the much larger units.  I recall using an HMI 575w followspot that ran on 120 probably 10 years ago, but I can’t remember the make or model (maybe an Altman Satellite).  I just remember that it had an external ballast and was anything but portable.  Elation is also offering a followspot with the 15R lamp that runs on 120, but I have yet to see or use one.  Good luck!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 07:07:30 PM »

I tend to agree with this.  Between all the different flavors of Source 4s and their accessories, it’s hard to top this until you step up to the much larger units.  I recall using an HMI 575w followspot that ran on 120 probably 10 years ago, but I can’t remember the make or model (maybe an Altman Satellite).  I just remember that it had an external ballast and was anything but portable.  Elation is also offering a followspot with the 15R lamp that runs on 120, but I have yet to see or use one.  Good luck!
I just looked a bit closer at the strong lighting website.
http://strong.lighting/followspot/
The have a couple arc-sourced models that fit easily on a 15A circuit.
As well as having a couple LED models now -I'm definitely liking that idea, low heat, long life and minimal power draw!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Robert Healey

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »

I looked at a bunch of follow spots at LDI this year. In the 40'-120' throw range LED is taking over so there are a lot more 120V/20A options than before. In LEDs, Strong and Lycian both looked very nice in the mid-price range. Altman and Chauvet have LED spots in the lower-price range. Robert Juliat is the king but you'll pay for it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.