ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorized Material Lift  (Read 2028 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Motorized Material Lift
« on: January 07, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »

Hi all, I'm curious what's out there in terms of motorized material lifts and what anyone's given preference is.  I'm looking for low capacity (sub-500 pounds) with a lifting height of at lest 10 feet, though preferably in the 12-14ft range.  Ideally both the lifting and driving will be motorized, but the catch is that the unit's weight needs to be under 400 pounds. 

I have experience with the Genie GL12 (and like it, especially with the ladder add-on), but before attempting to motorize one of those (and void my warranties/insurance) I am curious if anyone knows of something usable in this nature off the shelf.  This is strictly for lifting equipment and not for holding a suspended load in show position.  Budget is ideally under $5K.

Thanks!
-Jeff

Taylor Hall

Re: Motorized Material Lift
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »

I know Genie makes gas-actuated models of some of their equipment, they might have something in the weight handling range you need.

Past that I only really have experience with warehouse equipment for lifting pallets and such into racking, which could still work given the load is secured. You could probably find a used walkie stacker for that price range, and it would more than handle the weight and height you're looking for, at the cost of some truck space. They basically have the same footprint as a standard electric pallet jack but slightly wider due to the outriggers.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »

I'll offer that Vestil Manufacturing seems to specialize in this sort of stuff

https://www.vestil.com/

I use one of their power lift handtruck-like models to stack cases... it works great.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 02:18:01 PM »

I use one of their power lift handtruck-like models to stack cases... it works great.

https://www.vestil.com/category.php?CID=56
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »

https://www.vestil.com/category.php?CID=56

Thanks Tim and Mark - I'd been looking through the Vestil offerings and see that they have something similar to the Genie GL12.  They also have plenty of other choices that would work for my power and lift height needs, but nothing close to being under the weight limit.  I know that getting any semblance of powered lift for under 400 pounds is a tall order - I'm just hoping there's something I've missed before I try building my own (i.e. adding motors and batteries to a GL12).  Thanks again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »

Thanks Tim and Mark - I'd been looking through the Vestil offerings and see that they have something similar to the Genie GL12.  They also have plenty of other choices that would work for my power and lift height needs, but nothing close to being under the weight limit.  I know that getting any semblance of powered lift for under 400 pounds is a tall order - I'm just hoping there's something I've missed before I try building my own (i.e. adding motors and batteries to a GL12).  Thanks again!

This now requires me to ask "what's the application."  There, officially done ;D

I rather doubt your need is new but I'm certain that any off-the-shelf solution that ticks all the boxes will likely tap your wallet in a big way.  Know anybody at Disney Surplus? ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:50:57 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 08:29:30 PM »

This now requires me to ask "what's the application."  There, officially done ;D

I figured someone would!  No, not a new need.  I use lifts for raising everything from 80 pound speakers to 80 pound moving lights to truss and other equipment to secure to rigging at show height.  I’m just tired of pushing heavy lifts around and cranking the carriage up and down. 

The reason for the 400 pound limit is that I oftentimes service jobs with my utility van and transport the lifts with a hitch-mount.  400 pounds is the limit of that device (and nearly the van’s maximum tongue weight).  While working larger jobs I have trucks with lift gates, I don’t want to need that just to load and hang a few pyro devices or a half-dozen Mac Vipers at a venue lacking a proper lift. 

I’d rather not tow a trailer either unless the lift can attach directly to the hitch.  Hope that’s clear enough to explain my rationale!   

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »

No, not a new need.  I use lifts for raising everything from 80 pound speakers to 80 pound moving lights to truss and other equipment to secure to rigging at show height.  I’m just tired of pushing heavy lifts around and cranking the carriage up and down. 

Do doubt you're among like company, and "not a new need"... how did they build the pyramids?  Short of telekinesis (for those so endowed), stage hands still seem to be the popular "tough to improve on tool for the job".  In the past I had a service truck with a nice knuckle-boom, which worked well at times for moving the tonnage per my one-man shows at the time.  I've tried other work-around solutions... all sorts of contraptions... most (well functionally "all") of which were scuttled because either they didn't work out or were more over-all work.  With the increasing scarcity of reasonably priced, ready, willing, and able labor begets the growing popularity of "less is more"... and a bunch of the reason why my 24 box 650 rig is sitting collecting dust.  I wish I had a good recommendation... and am keenly interested in what others may have for suggestions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.