ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LCR applications?  (Read 1252 times)

Caleb Dueck

Re: LCR applications?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 07:46:19 pm »

... proper LCR mix when the LR mix would suffice and do just as well. ...

I disagree about LR being just as good as LCR. 

LCR, and immersive like Justice is doing, is for two things.
1) Localization - the cluster nearest the performer 'starts' time = zero and pulls our focus to that point.
2) Fewer acoustic sources.

For the first - using LR for music and C for vocals/speech misses the point.  Someone on SL should come from the SL cluster, SR through SR cluster, and so on.  Hence each cluster/hang to cover the entire seating area.

For the second - LR and 'phantom center' is not 'center'.  Ideally each source comes from a single cluster/hang, for a single arrival time at the ears.  Whether that single source comes from L, or C, or R is immaterial. 

If we focus on the second, this helps explain the rough natural progression, at least in installed systems, from mono, to stereo, to LCR, to immersive.  Each source can be placed in one location (mono), then two locations (stereo), then three (LCR), and now 5+ (immersive).  It's not infinite between physical sources (IE, 'phantom center), but the phase adjustment gets close. 

For arced stage faces where exploded mono gives the best coverage - giving the speakers a bit more overlap and taking a LR feed from the console to alternate speakers helps give some ambiance to sources that aren't hard-panned (IE stereo guitars).   I don't know if this is called mono, stereo, or stereo-ish, multi-zone-mono, or what. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 08:54:33 pm »

The benefits of an immersive system are hard to describe and nearly impossible to quantify until you've actually mixed on one.

On my show we sometimes have to cut down our full system because it won't physically fit in the room. In the heat of the moment, using the LCR or even LR version isn't terrible. But then once I go back to the full 5 arrays and full immersive set up, it's like the everything opens up and is so much clearer.

It's like the difference in listening to a singer through an SM58 versus a Neumann KMS 105.

With our system you can do horizontal and well as front to back localization. You can also take a source and widen it, to make a single mono channel spread across one or all of the arrays, while still maintaining the principal source from the intended position of one array of a point between two arrays. If you have a system built for it, you can also do rear effects, or elevation, if you have speakers in those locations.

The L-ISA system also has a really amazing sounding room engine (reverb) built into it which can do some pretty cool effects.

Yes it takes more speakers and more cabling, amplifiers, and rigging infrastructure. But the benefits are astounding once you hear it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:56:58 pm by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:15 am »

Tnx guys! I appreciate the replies...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:15 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.