ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless headword mic and transmitter for baptisms  (Read 3326 times)

Justin Quinn

Wireless headword mic and transmitter for baptisms
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »

I'm helping a church upgrade some old 600mhz systems to new QLXD systems.

They have a really old Samson UHF Series One system where the microphone and transmitter are self-contained in the headset.  They use it for baptisms which it's great for since all the electronics are neatly contained at the head level.  The issue... it's from 2003, a cheap piece of crap, and operates in the 800-806 mhz band.

Any recommendations for a replacement system where the whole transmitter is contained in the headset?  Samson still offers systems like these but even their higher-end offerings still look CHEAP.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 07:09:14 PM by Justin Quinn »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Wireless headword mic and transmitter for baptisms
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »

They have a really old Samson UHF Series One system where the microphone and transmitter are self-contained in the headset.  They use it for baptisms which it's great for since all the electronics are neatly contained at the head level.  The issue... it's from 2003, a cheap piece of crap, and operates in the 800-806 mhz band.

Any recommendations for a replacement system where the whole transmitter is contained in the headset?  Samson still offers systems like these but even their higher-end offerings still look CHEAP.

Having the Tx on the head is probably not optimal, hence why none of the "real" manufacturers offer it.

Why have electronics in the water in the first place?  Why not a small shotgun mic, either flown or on a stand or wall mount?  I'd have to see the room layout to know which is best. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »

The pro solution in theatre is a "micro pack", very high end tiny transmitters that can be hidden in a wig.  Shure UR1M would be an example.

I've also seen all-in-one headsets in the fitness market, but they tend to be cheap.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »

Having the Tx on the head is probably not optimal, hence why none of the "real" manufacturers offer it.

Why have electronics in the water in the first place?  Why not a small shotgun mic, either flown or on a stand or wall mount?  I'd have to see the room layout to know which is best.

There is one very unfortunate reason.  You probably already know the story.

There was a pastor that was electrocuted doing a baptism because the shielding on the tank pump/heater failed and energized the water.  When he reached out to touch the wired microphone he completed the circuit.

Yes, it was a freak accident, but i still decided to only use wireless mics on baptismals after that. 

I will say that if you can use a shotgun that is out of reach of anyone in the water, that could be a great solution.  The problem is that you've got folks [often kids] being baptized that are asked to speak and they are nervous and tend to be very very soft spoken.  Then you add the sloshing water noise on top of it.  Getting anything into a PA from that without having the mic very VERY close to the source is quite challenging.

My best solution most of the time is just a RF Beta87 on a stand right next to the pool. i put it as close to the folks as i can get but not over the water because i prefer my RF transmitters NOT be baptized.  This usually gets good results, even if it's not always the best look on camera.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »

I've seen wireless comm systems with the transmitter included as part of a low profile headset, but that probably isn't the look you want.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »

Granted, Sampson is not a professional wireless.  However it would be good for this purpose, I believe.  The new verson still is an improvement.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline-micro/airlinemicroearset/
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justin Quinn

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »

I will say that if you can use a shotgun that is out of reach of anyone in the water, that could be a great solution.  The problem is that you've got folks [often kids] being baptized that are asked to speak and they are nervous and tend to be very very soft spoken.  Then you add the sloshing water noise on top of it.  Getting anything into a PA from that without having the mic very VERY close to the source is quite challenging.

My best solution most of the time is just a RF Beta87 on a stand right next to the pool. i put it as close to the folks as i can get but not over the water because i prefer my RF transmitters NOT be baptized.  This usually gets good results, even if it's not always the best look on camera.
I thought about a shotgun mic but this was my concern, picking up a lot of water noise in addition to the pastor and the possibility of it getting splashed depending on its location.
The upgrade does include some QLXD Beta87 handhelds so that would be an option, but you still run into the issues of getting a lot of water noise as well as the possibility of being splashed.

Other than being cheap, the headset transmitter did work very well in this situation.  It's even been dunked a few times itself but still works fine.  Perhaps I'll try the new samson ones or just go with the Beta87 route.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 03:05:34 PM »

Live sound is all about compromises, and this may well be a situation where compromising on quality will get you the right mic position and form-factor. Plus, you'll cry a lot less when it inevitably gets dunked than you would if it were an ADX1M.

Just take extra care to follow all the other wireless best practises (frequency coordination, keep the RX as close as possible, avoid desens, line-of-sight from TX to RX) and you'll probably be fine. Even better, if the mic is only being used in one area then the RX can be kept really close.

-Russ

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »

Doesn't Lectrosonics make a waterproof pack? Surely not the cheapest thing out there, but might be an option. Pair one with a waterproof headset from Point Source Audio and you'll be all set!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »

Doesn't Lectrosonics make a waterproof pack? Surely not the cheapest thing out there, but might be an option. Pair one with a waterproof headset from Point Source Audio and you'll be all set!

They do, but the system comes with a little note reminding you that wireless audio can't pass through water. 

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »

They do, but the system comes with a little note reminding you that wireless audio can't pass through water.

Place it on the person where it won't be submerged while he speaks.  Between the shoulder blades or in a breast pocket should work.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »

Place it on the person where it won't be submerged while he speaks.  Between the shoulder blades or in a breast pocket should work.
In a zip-loc bag with the opening down.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 12:00:18 AM »

I had a high on the back pouch made once for this exact purpose.  It worked great.  One of the keys is the person wearing it needs to be onboard with keeping it dry.  Yes accidents happen but if you’ve worked in the HoW space long enough you’ve probably run into quite a few “the rules don’t apply, I’m the boss, I’ll do it my way” pastors.  Figuring out a way to get lost/damaged RF to come out of their budget is a great way to get better stewardship.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »

Ask the Spiritual Person In Charge if, without amplification, will the almighty somehow not know about the ritual being done?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 12:54:15 PM »

I thought about a shotgun mic but this was my concern, picking up a lot of water noise in addition to the pastor and the possibility of it getting splashed depending on its location.
The upgrade does include some QLXD Beta87 handhelds so that would be an option, but you still run into the issues of getting a lot of water noise as well as the possibility of being splashed.

Other than being cheap, the headset transmitter did work very well in this situation.  It's even been dunked a few times itself but still works fine.  Perhaps I'll try the new samson ones or just go with the Beta87 route.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies.

Beta-anything would be my absolute last choice in high gain, high noise situations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justin Quinn

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »

Ask the Spiritual Person In Charge if, without amplification, will the almighty somehow not know about the ritual being done?
Well, the church encourages family, friends, and the congregation to attend baptisms.  The sanctuary seats about 500.  Without a mic, those who are hard of hearing start "whispering" amongst themselves (they're actually screaming but just don't know it) about how they can't hear.  So as the audio person in charge, I'm declaring that we need amplification in some capacity if we want to keep the grandmas happy.

Don't worry though, "just shout" is my solution to a lot of other audio reinforcement situations.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »

Church-based worship is a shared experience. And these days, shared with a lot of people at once.  Hence the need for sound reinforcement.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »

Granted, Sampson is not a professional wireless.  However it would be good for this purpose, I believe.  The new verson still is an improvement.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline-micro/airlinemicroearset/

Still think this is the best...
    simple
    clip on
    rechargable
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justin Quinn

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 11:50:01 PM »

Still think this is the best...
    simple
    clip on
    rechargable
Instead of that... what do you think of their AHX Fitness Headset Kit?
(http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline-atx/airline-ahx-qe/)

I'm attracted to this because of the receiver's removable antennas, I may be able to place it in the rack and feed it off the UA844's with the rest of the recivers.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »

Well, the church encourages family, friends, and the congregation to attend baptisms.  The sanctuary seats about 500.  Without a mic, those who are hard of hearing start "whispering" amongst themselves (they're actually screaming but just don't know it) about how they can't hear.  So as the audio person in charge, I'm declaring that we need amplification in some capacity if we want to keep the grandmas happy.

Don't worry though, "just shout" is my solution to a lot of other audio reinforcement situations.

See if this might help:

https://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/GT-S24OWP

I'm *very* aware of the 11AM God Show.  Trust me on that.

Consider "if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it, did it really happen?" as an analogy...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.