ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifiers for a 2.1 system  (Read 2288 times)

Ben Mays _

Amplifiers for a 2.1 system
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:12 AM »

Hi,
I've managed to get a few Martin Audio speakers for an absolute steal and am looking at getting some amp(s) for a few of them.

I'm looking at powering x2 EM76 and a EM251 sub.

The EM76 have a recommended amp of  400-550W into 4 ohms and the EM251 a recommended amp of 550-800W into 4 ohms.

Would it be best to get 2 amps and power the sub separately from the tops? As I can't seem to find a 4 channel amp with a decent price that can power the sub in bridge mode sufficiently as the ohms load would be too much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting rules
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »

Hi,
I've managed to get a few Martin Audio speakers for an absolute steal and am looking at getting some amp

Please go to your profile and change your displayed name to conform to forum posting policy.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Amplifiers for a 2.1 system
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »

Hi,
I've managed to get a few Martin Audio speakers for an absolute steal and am looking at getting some amp(s) for a few of them.

I'm looking at powering x2 EM76 and a EM251 sub.

The EM76 have a recommended amp of  400-550W into 4 ohms and the EM251 a recommended amp of 550-800W into 4 ohms.

Would it be best to get 2 amps and power the sub separately from the tops? As I can't seem to find a 4 channel amp with a decent price that can power the sub in bridge mode sufficiently as the ohms load would be too much.

I would get 2 amps of the same size and just bridge the amp for the sub. So a pair of PLX1604's would do you just fine and be cheap since they're old. They are however lightweight and very robust. The reason I would choose this setup is that 4 channels of amp in an SKB case is one of the handiest things you can have as a small sound company. It can be 4 monitor channels, 4 speaker on a stick channels, a 2.1 setup, 2 mains and 2 monitors, 2 bridged subs, or 1 main and 3 monitor.

If you can put a dsp in the rack with 2 small amps you are even better off. Or go with amps with built-in DSP. For very simple setups the Crown XLS amps are STUPID light and work OK. They have a very simple DSP system which would do a 2.1 rig, but no fancy slopes or EQ tweaking is available.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »

The newer Behringer NX series might be worth looking at. They fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the inukes and the DSP is pretty darn robust, especially for keeping power within driver specs.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.