ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Speaker Recommendations Needed: JBL Eon - EV ZLX - Bose F1 812  (Read 4376 times)

Ray Sherman

Hi, I'm into both, DJing and Karaoke anywhere from small rooms (500 sq. ft.) and large hall venues. I've been Djing with a Numark MixDeck Quad, a pair of passive Yorkville YS115 15" speakers in stereo and a passive SP Subcompact 18" Peavey sub. Powering the speakers and sub with a couple Mackie M1400i FR series amps. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers to powered (active) ones. Like everything else, I'm trying to figure out what's currently the best affordable quality speakers out there at a decent price point. I would like some kind of a crossover built in for added protection, although in my DJ setup above, I haven't had any problems without one.... yet. I've been looking at the JBL EON6's and EV ZLX's in 12" & 15" and now there is a new EV ZLH with BT. Of course, I just had to come across the Bose F1 812's which looked interesting enough to check out. Quality, clean, hiss free at "all" volume levels, warm but, crisp sound for both Djing and vocals/singing is all I'm looking for...... LOL  Seriously, I would like the aforementioned due them working out anywhere from very small rooms to your large hall venues. I would sincerely appreciate any input and/or experience that you may have, good or bad in regards to the above. In addition, if you have any other suggestions "please" feel free, I'm open. Thanks, Ray

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: User Speaker Recommendations Needed: JBL Eon - EV ZLX - Bose F1 812
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 03:22:00 PM »

Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12  or QSC K10.2 or K12.2
Either might work with your sub, although the matching subs for either of these brands is probably better.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »

I think EV provides the best bang for the buck. I am not a fan of the QSC stuff and would pick the JBL PRX over it. I have used a few different EV lines for different things and they have always impressed me. I find that EV really dives a great bargain for what you get in return.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

MikeHarris

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »

Yamaha recently did a Mkll upgrade to DXR series..see if you can get a deal on leftover non-Mkll..the DXR10 or 12 would be a nice upgrade..continue to use passive sub till it’s turn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »

Yamaha recently did a Mkll upgrade to DXR series..see if you can get a deal on leftover non-Mkll..the DXR10 or 12 would be a nice upgrade..continue to use passive sub till it’s turn

I just happen to have a pair of the DXR15 and some DXR8 still on the shelf that need to go.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 04:07:29 AM »

I have to disagree.
Working a wedding, the band that was booked insisted "we only play through Bose", and brought their F1 812s. Useful amount of LF from the box, but the mid-high range was a beamy mess. In front of the cabs was pretty bright. Go a few steps to the side and the treble disappeared.

I was pleased that my PA, in comparison, was smooth and clear throughout the coverage area.

There's a reason the rest of the industry uses compression drivers.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »

The EV ZLX and JBL EON are entry level boxes just like your Yorkville YS and would not be a hugh upgrade.. although the included processing and crossovers in the EVs would definitely make for a noticable difference in overall sound quality from what you have now.
Bose likes to claim they make professional audio equipment.. they are really best at selling overpriced lifestyle products, but if you have Bose money to spend then you could do much better. For the same or even less cost you could have a set of EV EKX12p with a single EKX18sp sub, this is an very nice package that is several steps up from the ZLX/EON level. I own these boxes along with ZLX12ps and some Yamaha DXRs and have plenty of opportunity to compare them to each other and many others boxes in this segment including Yorkvilles PS and Paraline, QSC K and KW, Mackie SRM 4,5,6, JBL PRX and EON, and even several Bose models including the L1 and F1.

For DJ applications where subs aren't optional there really is no need for 15" tops so I'd never recommend buying those, any sans sub job you think you need a 15" for can also be done with a 12" box which is significantly smaller and lighter, and the difference in lowend extension or max SPL between 2 boxes in the same series isn't enough to concern yourself with, so save your back and pack space.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »

I've done all with the EV EVOLVE 50 systems. People seem to love them for DJ events. Loads of positive response for wedding receptions, easy to move and setup, and they look nice. I offer bigger stuff for club type DJ events, but for parties and such the EVOLVE is my go to. Clients love the sound, look and price.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 07:56:04 PM »

Take the JBL Eon's off your list.

Now for the crossover.... are you not using any crossover with your system as it is now.
Any sub woofer that is getting full range signal will sound awful.

Your Mackie power amps have a subwoofer crossover function built in and variable
high pass filters to use on the amp for the top cabinets.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:58:09 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Ed Taylor

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 04:12:46 PM »

Take the JBL Eon's off your list.

Now for the crossover.... are you not using any crossover with your system as it is now.
Any sub woofer that is getting full range signal will sound awful.

Your Mackie power amps have a subwoofer crossover function built in and variable
high pass filters to use on the amp for the top cabinets.
would have to say everyone of the guys are giving you good advise.. I've worked a lot of gigs and have seen DJs and party bands roll just fine with Yamaha, JBL, EV, mackie, and yes, Peavey.
I actually still have a pair of those mackie 1400s in a rack..they've seen power once in the last 4 years I think..but they always served me well back when we were driving passives...I had kept them sitting with a set of old EV T18 sub (no, bass bins)..so each of those T18s (yes with upgraded drivers) gets all that the mackie 1400 bridged/passed can push..and they do about as good as that cab design will...only time they get to go out and play has been on the rare occassion we are doing some small town festival where my rig really is undersized to begin with..and I just need any and all the lows I can muster..ok..back on topic.
the QSCs...to me they are harsh..probably cause most DJs I see with them have them cranked to unreasonable levels..the client party crowd seems happy..so what do I know, but man do they crank em..and those little boxes can get to "hurt you" levels for sure.
if, and when , I were to run out and spend new money, I'd be wanting to go EV...but I also recognize that sometimes you can run into a band that will turn their nose up at a lot of brands...QSC seems to be a defacto and never questioned...so a couple K12s on the sticks should be all you'd need for mobile dj..then either keep your old passive sub and amps, or if you're ready for powered subs...there's a ton of great options out there.
I will say that over the past couple years, for wedding work (not live band..that's a different rig for me) but for ceremony with quick change over to reception dj mode, I've been continually amazed at my combination rig, which is a pair of Bose L1compacts sitting on top of EV ZXA1 12" compact subs (700 watts)..honestly, for a wedding reception...it gives me all I need and should have for dance level/pressure ...and a lot easier to load than the larger 15 and 18 subs and SOS..yes, I still have those, but they have not seen a dj wedding in 3 years ...
I'm not particular fond of the Bose folks in general...mostly due to their PPV policy...in a time when I used to own a national biz and could get significant discounts through my distributors, they were not allowed to take a dime off the price of the Bose...so I despite the painful amount of $ I put out yearly on product, I wasn't getting any more love than  the kid going to Bestbuy for his sound bar.
now in fairness they did answer that complaint at one point with a call to me asking me if I wanted to setup a dealership program...I passed on the "deal"...but, a few used deals later, I had all the Bose property that I wanted in the toolbox and I give them credit for making a pretty cool product in their little tower array units...the F1s?...for the cost?..no...too many other routes available... I agree with the guys...EV seems to be the better value out there..and with the world restarting hopefully from covid this year, I'd be looking at some clean used tops and maybe hang on to those old subs and rack amps til you see how biz picks up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 04:12:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.