ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Prx 835w  (Read 1104 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL Prx 835w
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 05:48:16 pm »

Id never use either box without subs. I have a smaller RCF system for smaller gigs.

Ive got PRX 818 subs and will likely end up getting another pair. They work for me - theyre just the right size to fit 2 across my trailer (SRX subs wouldnt)

Im not overly concerned about brand - definitely open to the RCF 745 (which, due to the vagaries of pricing in Australia, I could get cheaper than either the PRX 835 or the SRX boxes). Could also consider the DZR series. But staying with either RCF or JBL probably suits me.

I have no intention of going more than one box a side so the 60 degree coverage on the SRX 835 isnt what Im after.

At what frequency does the 835 begin to exhibit 60 coverage?  Hint:  it's higher than you think.   Does it matter?  It depends...

If the PRX subs make the rest of your existence happy (transport especially) then you've found the balance that works for you. :)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 08:25:35 pm »

About 1 1/2 ago I demo prx715 and prx815. Same store, mixer, and tracks. 6 months apart. Both at factory default. The prx815 was smoother especially when pushed. JBL did make changes to tuning on the top cabs and crossover on the subs. Then added wireless access to the amps DSP. Same box and drivers, different amp and grilles.

When comparing the response curves on the prx 735 and prx 835, the 835 is smoother on the mid/ highs. A Band in my area uses prx 735 over prx 718xlf . It sound very nice. I expect the prx835 to be an excellent match with your subs.

As others have commented, srx812 would be the way to go. You might loose some details of the 3ways but gain in volume and vocal clarity. They will outrun your single 18s. Get pricing from forum members. Shop around. I got a pair of srx818sp slightly used for slightly below the prices of one new.
I find it easier to move and store srx818 on its side/ handles pointing up and down.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 01:50:48 pm »

About 1 1/2 ago I demo prx715 and prx815. Same store, mixer, and tracks. 6 months apart. Both at factory default. The prx815 was smoother especially when pushed. JBL did make changes to tuning on the top cabs and crossover on the subs. Then added wireless access to the amps DSP. Same box and drivers, different amp and grilles.

When comparing the response curves on the prx 735 and prx 835, the 835 is smoother on the mid/ highs. A Band in my area uses prx 735 over prx 718xlf . It sound very nice. I expect the prx835 to be an excellent match with your subs.

As others have commented, srx812 would be the way to go. You might loose some details of the 3ways but gain in volume and vocal clarity. They will outrun your single 18s. Get pricing from forum members. Shop around. I got a pair of srx818sp slightly used for slightly below the prices of one new.
I find it easier to move and store srx818 on its side/ handles pointing up and down.

Good info to know. I also learned to transport those 818's on their sides. I added some nice, solid rubber feet to the sides, so I can just drive a hand truck beneath. I can dead-lift the speaker using the handles on the top (sides) into my van - just barely.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »

The long term plan is a second set of the subs - with the tops to stack on top.

The srx 812ps would be louder than the prx 835 for standard cover band/pop band music?

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 03:43:00 pm »

The srx 812ps would be louder than the prx 835 for standard cover band/pop band music?
[/quote]

SRX 812 on sub pole with the 12 at about 6ft will be louder than the PRX sitting on the sub. Easier to deploy. Thought and safety is a concern if raising the PRX up that high. No pole mount on PRX 3way

JBL has a firmware update for PRX800 tops only. There is an increase in LF output and most likely revised dsp. The LF boost can be turned off.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:21 pm »

Hey Heath, my rig is mostly srx at the moment (812/818) - let me know if you want to hear it in person. I also have one 828 that doesn't get used very much and open to dry hire if you need for bigger gigs.
I think it's dj warehouse that also have srx 835/828 for dry hire here in Melbourne, if you wanted to give it a run before purchase.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:21 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 26 queries.