ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL vs QSC for a Newbie Engineer  (Read 9281 times)

Connor Nygaard

Re: JBL vs QSC for a Newbie Engineer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 06:22:47 PM »

Connor, it's been mentioned - but to reiterate, buy used gear when you can.  Especially in the early days.  Also, find a local shop that's reputable and can advise you.  Get a rapport with a good sales engineer.

Most of the gear at the professional level will last a long long long time - generally becomes obsolete way before it wears out unless it's really abused.

Thanks very much for the tip, the local shop here in Colorado Springs, Performance Audio, is looking to sell me demo units. Practically brand new speakers for several hundred dollars off list. I've no idea what a number would be on a KS118, but even with that at list it still sounds like a screaming deal to me.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 06:30:37 PM »

Thanks very much for the tip, the local shop here in Colorado Springs, Performance Audio, is looking to sell me demo units. Practically brand new speakers for several hundred dollars off list. I've no idea what a number would be on a KS118, but even with that at list it still sounds like a screaming deal to me.

I buy demo, open box & "B" stock items whenever I can.  Buy from the right place and if it has problems they will support you.  Picked up a Denon Prime 4 DJ console last month as a demo item from Sweetwater for about $300 below regular price.  Fired it up and it had issues.  They replaced it with a brand new console.  Back in the day I used dual 18" & dual 15" subs as well as 18" "W" horns.  Now everything is single driver in a box and I use them in multiples as needed - much easier to move around.

veditor78

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »

I owned a fair bit of the SRX800 gear for awhile. It was great stuff. Look for it used and you'll be very happy.
Josh Rawls

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »

JBL Vs QSC, I prefer the Yamaha DSR and DXR (much to my surprise).

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »

Also check out the JBL VRX918SP subs. Smaller then the SRX818. I have a few of them. I think they sound better IMO

Travis Retrum

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 10:18:25 PM »

I find this VERY hard to believe unless you were relying on the input gains 'appearing' to be the same. The sensitivity input on the SRX series is lower than the usual consumer grade stuff so you have to increase that for fair comparison.
That SRX828sp is a BEAST!...

Getting a pair of these subs soon, do you by chance know what the input gain needs to be at to be about equal to everything else? Or what do you usually increase it to?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 12:12:37 AM »

Getting a pair of these subs soon, do you by chance know what the input gain needs to be at to be about equal to everything else? Or what do you usually increase it to?

I didn’t pay attention to where the settings were - I relied on what I heard to be honest and I no longer own these subs. Just be prepared to push the levels up probably 20% higher than you would think. They will take it and perform safely …
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 01:11:31 AM »

I find this VERY hard to believe unless you were relying on the input gains 'appearing' to be the same. The sensitivity input on the SRX series is lower than the usual consumer grade stuff so you have to increase that for fair comparison.
That SRX828sp is a BEAST!...

Debbie,

I think the new KS QSC uses a B&C driver.  Whatever it is it must have significantly more xmax than the 828SP's.  It doesn't dig quite as deep though so that is another reason they can squeeze a bit more output.

When the JBL's came out almost 10 years ago they defined a new market.  That was when JBL still had US based service.  Now a 3" voice coil differential drive based box is starting to show it's age.  I know folks with amp modules that have been out for 6 months and that includes drivecore units out of expensive JBL boxes.  I know I would be pissed.

QSC was getting very old in tooth with the KW but their line refresh is great.  Hopefully they will now replace the KW boxes. 

Connor I think a single 18 in a club is unrealistic, especially with EDM. Maybe if they say Danley or JTR on the grill.  I also don't think you can have a club rig be your corporate rig in the day either.  They will get scratched and smell like booze and someone will complain. after awhile.  My wedding and corporate rigs stay in cases and never go to the clubs.  Even if you get a Turbosound Inspire rig for the corporate/wedding and then a used club rig.  If you want to fulfill some emotional need and get a JBL (Keep in mind they are owned by Harman these days) I would get SRX passive and amps from a company with service you can count on.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 02:09:21 AM »

The SRX828SP I listened to today was fantastic. Definitely the best, cleanest, nicest sub to my ears. But I simply cannot ignore that KS118. The amount of output that single 18" had was nearly identical to the dual 18" JBL, if not slightly more at times. I was in awe of that thing when it was cranked. The SRX was very pleasing to listen to as well, even when maxed out, and I would say the QSC was 95% as good. I hit them both with as loud a signal as I could with both up at +12dB, and neither one even considered blinking the limiter light, as the store was audibly shaking, from the *opposite* end.

Listening to speakers operate in a retail store is pretty close to the biggest waste of time ever.  Subs can sound wildly different depending on placement, room size, etc.

There's NO way that in the real world the single 18 will outrock the dual 18 SRX.  Your ears may have been deceiving you.  The fact that you couldn't bring either one up to the point of limit means you don't know what their output really is.

As far as picking out a SYSTEM, I don't understand the logic of mixing and matching.  Manufacturers spend a lot of time designing systems that work together.  Eg, if you're going with JBL, the SRX tops and subs are generally in the same class and pair nicely together.  Same thing with a QSC system.

When you mix and match, you're suggesting that you have more knowhow than the engineers at the companies that actually DESIGN the gear.  It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Brian Jojade

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 11:04:51 PM »

There's no way anyone here could have known this, but Connor was a good friend of mine.

He passed away the summer of 2020.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 11:04:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.