ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure 55 or similar - gotta get that retro look.  (Read 9213 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Shure 55 or similar - gotta get that retro look.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 04:19:14 PM »

Lots of options for putting a capsule in there.
You could probably hide an entire Sennheiser e904 inside the cage without too much trouble.

My favourite would be the capsule & circuit from a Beyer M201TG. Very smooth response, and a nice tight pattern.

Bit of a DIY project, but good fun.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »

The e904 is a good all around (tom) mic, but I've never tried it on vocals.
The whole mic would probably fit inside.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »

I have a large vintage mic collection (over 500 unit at it’s largest size and many do not work anymore) and I would not use most of them today as live mics. Older mics usually have limited frequency response or an exaggerated mid response, handling issues, connections different than an XLR, and reliability issues because of their age.

I also have a shelf full of newer mics with a vintage vibe that I use every now and again when a performer wants the look.

Shure Super55 - probably goes out the most. I’ve never had an issue with sound quality or feedback.

Shure 5575LE - retired reissue, copy of large box 55, went out once for a female singer who did a set of vintage songs. It was fine but I would have preferred she not have held the mic ( on a stand) and covered the rear grill during some tunes.

CAD A77 - modern copy of the Astatic. Used it once on a male singer. I remember the gig went fine. CAD has a A77R ribbon mic now. I have yet to add one to my collection so I can’t comment on this model.

Heil Fin - The mic shown in the Hunger Games movies. I have used it once Live with a female singer for exactly 1 song. The mic was fine, the singer was not! I have 2 of the units, blue and red windscreen colors, I need to buy a white color unit to complete the set.

Cascade 731R - discontinued by Cascade, the “Radiator” ribbon mic is my favorite looking modern/weird mic but I have never used it live

*WARNING*. DO NOT START COLLECTING MICS, IT IS ADDICTIVE!

Pic captions:

Vegas headliner Frankie Moreno using a Shure Super55 at a private event at Lake Tahoe. He puts it on a straight stand in front of the keyboard like Jerry Lee Lewis.

My Cascade Radiator short ribbon. Mine has the frame yoke surround. There are versions of the mic where the yoke does not go all around the mic head and looks more traditional.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 04:34:53 PM by Craig Leerman »
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 04:44:20 PM »

Not like that's that's a volume-challenging stage or anything.......
Got to be modified.
Chris.

Actually maybe not quite so much anymore, I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the guitar
input is coming from Fractal modelers.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »

I used a Shure 55 right before christmas, first time in years. Surprisingly easy to use and sounded better than I remembered. No issues with monitors either. I asked the singer and he said it was a mic straight from the dealer, no modifications.

Either I got lucky or it was the right mic for the singer.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 04:55:18 PM »

It certainly sounds like the factory sound of the 55 (from any era) is NOT one that is desirable for ANY purpose by anyone here. Good to know - I'll have a good think about which way to go.... fun project either way.

If you have a choice, between the two Shure re-issue stock versions of the 55 the Super 55 is the better one.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 04:59:34 PM »

I used a Shure 55 right before christmas, first time in years. Surprisingly easy to use and sounded better than I remembered. No issues with monitors either. I asked the singer and he said it was a mic straight from the dealer, no modifications.

Either I got lucky or it was the right mic for the singer.

And of course I am sure this can happen too. I'm going to check it out when it gets here and see just how 'bad' it is compared to inexpensive mics such as the 58, 835 etc.

I will also see what I am capable of doing myself as far as a 'mod' goes. I don't WANT to have to spend a few hundred dollars on it unless it makes sense to do so or if I don't have any other options - which it seems I do. The fact I got it used means I do not have to worry about warranties.
Checking to see whether the 906 fits inside the cage is an interesting concept so I'll be checking that out for sure. The 906 is a good sounding mic for vocals I have discovered so this would be a cool mod. Gutting the 55 would make me take a breath...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:04:00 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »

If you have a choice, between the two Shure re-issue stock versions of the 55 the Super 55 is the better one.

I would have preferred the super but I found this SH well priced and if I will be either modding the mic or bypassing the mic entirely (hidden condenser), then it really makes little difference to me I suppose. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »

Did a show with a couple of artist who brought the Ear Trumpet Edwina....Now that's a mic I would like to own.   

That is exactly how I ended up getting mine, next day after the show I was talking to Ear Trumpet and placed an order.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »

The e904 is a good all around (tom) mic, but I've never tried it on vocals.
The whole mic would probably fit inside.

I've spoken into one to test, but never used it on-stage for vocals. It's got a fairly neutral response, though, so I expect it'd work just fine. It's worked on everything else I've tried it on.
I did end up using an M201TG for vocals (with a foam ball on the end) once. Sounded excellent.

Agree with Craig's post above - I have a habit of collecting mics, too. Most of the time I buy them to fix up (AKG D12s with no bass are a speciality), and they often hang around for a while. Occasionally a particular mic will come out on request (people seem to love D12s, not sure why), but they mostly sit in a box until I decide to sell them on to fund useful equipment.
My most oddball/weird mic at the moment features an aluminium diaphragm attached to a piezo crystal. Sounds exactly as you'd expect. Zingy.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.