ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless DMX  (Read 6086 times)

Steve Garris

Re: wireless DMX
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 01:11:48 PM »

I use the Donnar wireless transmitter and (6) receivers for my prewired light trees. I use an AE router for my Luminair. I've used it for 3 years now and never had an issue. There's (6) receivers on this stage every 2 months, mostly static lights but a few movers. A ton of people with cell phones but never an issue:

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »

To me, it’s not a lack of responsiveness so much as it is having complete dropouts.

I only experienced unrecoverable loss of communication until I figured out that all fixtures MUST be set to slave mode, fixtures can and will spontaneously switch to master if allowed which will then switch the attached wireless device to Tx and that will crash the system, so this is not an optional setting. With that done I have never seen a total loss of control again unless something loses power. I have also tied non wireless devices into a single wireless unit with DMX cable on occasion and that works well in most cases but the downside is if that one wireless receiver misses a cue then everything tied to it does as well, so the redundancy of every fixture having it's own receiver minimizes the impact of a glitch, it's not a greater liability.

Terry Martin

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »

I use the Donnar wireless transmitter and (6) receivers for my prewired light trees. I use an AE router for my Luminair. I've used it for 3 years now and never had an issue. There's (6) receivers on this stage every 2 months, mostly static lights but a few movers. A ton of people with cell phones but never an issue:

We've had good luck with the Donner wireless too.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

We've had good luck with the Donner wireless too.

Just ordered a Donner starter kit to try out.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mal Brown

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 09:08:35 PM »

I run Donner as well.  1 RX per 2 multi fixture front trees.  1 on rear truss, 1 on d-fi hub for Chauvet Freedon sticks, 1 on Chauvet Motion drape controller.  That has been quite reliable.

I tried 6 txt on rear truss and that was problematic.

I get if you are doing Paul McCartney you probably want a more pro setup.  For what I'm doing this has worked really well.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

I've used the old style Blizzard wicicles since they were introduced. Aside from an occasional failed unit (they get mishandled badly by event volunteers) I have found them very reliable. I use one of the higher powered transmitters for the most distant light stands, sometimes plug another transmitter on a different frequency in to that for different groups of lighting. According to marketing, their newer systems are more robust, but I haven't needed to upgrade yet.

What issues did you have with D-Fi? I've sold a lot of the Freedom pars & a few other lights that have it built in. So far nobody has complained about the performance.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »

I've used the old style Blizzard wicicles since they were introduced. Aside from an occasional failed unit (they get mishandled badly by event volunteers) I have found them very reliable. I use one of the higher powered transmitters for the most distant light stands, sometimes plug another transmitter on a different frequency in to that for different groups of lighting. According to marketing, their newer systems are more robust, but I haven't needed to upgrade yet.

What issues did you have with D-Fi? I've sold a lot of the Freedom pars & a few other lights that have it built in. So far nobody has complained about the performance.

I like the freedom pars too. 
The older DFi tx/rx boxes that I have are kind of clunky and the antennas won't stay put.
I think when I've had issues with lag, it's more related to the wifi from the controller than anything.
Also, This is for a client, so I want to be sure it's robust enough , both physically and functionally, for venue people to deal with.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:05:00 PM by Dave Garoutte »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »

My only issues were with the endpoint units, we never tried any of the fixtures. We saw horrible lag, multiple dropouts, and complete refusal to connect once. We had pretty good results with the Blizzard option, but after seeing how startlingly similar they were to the Donner stuff, we opted for that instead since these would be special case use and not used on every rental. I haven't had a chance to try their newer lightcaster stuff, though. It looks pretty promising.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »

The client already has 12 of the DFi enabled Freedom Pars, and a TX unit, so we'll probably end up with that system.
The Tx/Rx units are $100+ each, times four individual crank stands.

I might end up plugging a Donner Tx into the dmx out of the DFi Tx.  The uplights would be DFi and the stage lights would be Donner.
That would be the cheapest, simplest setup.
Would two different Tx systems in close proximity be problematic?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

The client already has 12 of the DFi enabled Freedom Pars, and a TX unit, so we'll probably end up with that system.
The Tx/Rx units are $100+ each, times four individual crank stands.

I might end up plugging a Donner Tx into the dmx out of the DFi Tx.  The uplights would be DFi and the stage lights would be Donner.
That would be the cheapest, simplest setup.
Would two different Tx systems in close proximity be problematic?
Possibly, but you can always swap channels out to try and separate them a bit. We ran two universes like that with just the Donner units a couple times in the past.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.