ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless DMX  (Read 5985 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: wireless DMX
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »

The Donners showed up today.
I just did a quick bench test and it worked fine running the Donner on the DMX out of the DFi.
SlimparPro VW on the Donner Rx and the Freedom Par Rx on the internal DFi.
Obviously, two fixtures and three feet away is hardly a torture test, but the concept looks promising.
But it worked with the two Tx antennas less than a foot apart.

Update:  I just walked the two fixtures next door.
Control still worked through two or three walls and 80ish feet, shelves of metal stuff in between.
This will probably work! :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:53:32 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »

I might end up plugging a Donner Tx into the dmx out of the DFi Tx.  Would two different Tx systems in close proximity be problematic?
Hasn't been for me with the two units on separate channels. You can also physically separate them by inserting a piece of DMX cable between the Dfi output and the Donner Tx module.

Here is a shot of the event I did this past weekend. I brought 8 moving heads with the new battery powered Donner Rx units and 20 uplights with built-in wireless. Control is from the laptop on the small table next to the stage, I had the transmitter taped to the upright beam next to the table about 7ft up. None of this lighting was static, the uplights ran chases and patterns and the heads constantly scanned the building.

Mal Brown

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 01:22:40 AM »

I run Donner on the input side of the d-fi and Motion Drape controller.  That works fine.

Close placement of transmitters isn't an issue in my rig.  I have the Donner TX plugged into the console.  d-if lives on stage with it's own RX.  So I skip the run from FOH to the stage.  Keeping the RX count low has been helpful.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:06:17 AM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Garris

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 11:28:10 AM »

Hasn't been for me with the two units on separate channels. You can also physically separate them by inserting a piece of DMX cable between the Dfi output and the Donner Tx module.

Here is a shot of the event I did this past weekend. I brought 8 moving heads with the new battery powered Donner Rx units and 20 uplights with built-in wireless. Control is from the laptop on the small table next to the stage, I had the transmitter taped to the upright beam next to the table about 7ft up. None of this lighting was static, the uplights ran chases and patterns and the heads constantly scanned the building.

That looks like a nice money-maker to me!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »

Since we're all sharing pictures to show how well wireless works (?), I'll contribute my own from a recent event - dark and ambiguous enough as to not violate performance rights agreements.

Console - ETC Congo Kid
Fixtures - Martin Mac Vipers, Robe Pointes, and Clay Paky Sharpys
Wireless - None

/satire - sorry I couldn't resist.

I'm glad to see that you found a working solution though Dave!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »

Since we're all sharing pictures to show how well wireless works (?), I'll contribute my own from a recent event - dark and ambiguous enough as to not violate performance rights agreements.

Console - ETC Congo Kid
Fixtures - Martin Mac Vipers, Robe Pointes, and Clay Paky Sharpys
Wireless - None

/satire - sorry I couldn't resist.

I'm glad to see that you found a working solution though Dave!

You still rockin' the Congo Kid?  There are a couple of Jr's up on eBay right now.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »

You still rockin' the Congo Kid?  There are a couple of Jr's up on eBay right now.

That I am!  Along with the 12 universe flavor of Nomad and a Universal Fader Wing for smaller jobs or when I need to control a high numbers of channels.  For the big jobs it’s a grandMA like most others use, but for small-medium jobs and walk-ins where the venue has an unfamiliar, dysfunctional, or nonexistent console I still really like my Congo Kid.  With a few more years of promised software updates from ETC I don’t plan on giving mine up anytime soon!

After that, I’ll have to see where my business stands and how well grandMA3 sticks... 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 09:11:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.