ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 full console backup?  (Read 20360 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
X32 full console backup?
« on: January 01, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »

Borrowing a friend's X32 console and wanted to make a full backup (scenes, snippets, settings, libraries, the lot, to a USB drive) to restore from when I hand it back to him.  Searched high and low through the manuals and the 'net, but no joy.  Is there a way to do this within the console itself?  it's running the 3.11 firmware. 

I admit to being spoiled; used to the QL1/QL5 easy full console backup.

Taylor Hall

Re: X32 full console backup?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »

You can save scenes (which also grabs snippets, routing and scribble strips as well) and libraries to an external USB, but I'm not certain about the main config. Scenes are grabbed through the scene view and libraries can be saved by pressing the library button next to the main screen.

It's worth noting that this can also be done through desktop apps as well (X/M-Edit or Mix Station) which may make things speedier than fiddling with knobs for naming things.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »

You can export a "show" as one file, which includes all cues, scenes, snippets, libraries, and routing, but not general settings. Those settings are fairly basic though, and shouldn't affect you much.

On the Cues tab, hit Utility then Export Show. Name it and hit OK, and it'll save everything possible.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »

You can export a "show" as one file, which includes all cues, scenes, snippets, libraries, and routing, but not general settings. Those settings are fairly basic though, and shouldn't affect you much.

"General settings" are the ones on the first four tabs of the Setup screen, such as 48k vs 44.1k, DCA behavior, Select following Solo vs. vice versa, etc.? "General settings" seems like as good a title for those things as any, but I've not seen them called that. I think of them as basic console configuration which is specific to a console. I *think* that any Scene can be used with a console set to either sample rate, but am not sure of that. That capability would be IS preserved if because the saved Scenes don't reconfigure the basic console configuration.

Fake Edit: I have a console set up and checked the above, and the crossed out text segments are first thoughts while the text minus the crossed out text is verified.

Are there other parameters other than those on the first four Setup Screen Tabs that aren't saved with Scenes/Shows? Absent parameter exclusions, of course.

To reiterate, the only advantage to saving Shows vs. Scenes is that all Scenes in the console are saved and transferred with the Show (only one Show can be present at a time on any console), whereas two or more Scenes on the console need to be saved to and then loaded from a USB stick separately if saving Scenes. Yes?

Good question, Kirby.

Do the Yamaha Scenes (or equivalent) reconfigure those console basic settings like Sample rate and IP address? That could be confusing, or is it somehow better than Behringer/Midas' way?

Daniel Levi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 03:00:47 AM »

can't v4 save a full console backup, though if it does not already have v4 installed then the owner might not want it upgraded yet.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:02 AM »

Yes, v4 introduced a much needed full console backup.

can't v4 save a full console backup, though if it does not already have v4 installed then the owner might not want it upgraded yet.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 01:24:54 PM »

On the Cues tab, hit Utility then Export Show. Name it and hit OK, and it'll save everything possible.

Thanks Brian.  This is an X32 Compact, and I can't find a Cues tab on any of the display pages.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »

Thanks Brian.  This is an X32 Compact, and I can't find a Cues tab on any of the display pages.

It's in the Scene view window.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »

Yes, v4 introduced a much needed full console backup.

So if someone gives me a Scene to load for their performance it will load old firmware or whatever onto my console?

Is that backup identified differently than Scene (.scn)?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 03:01:59 AM »

So if someone gives me a Scene to load for their performance it will load old firmware or whatever onto my console?

Is that backup identified differently than Scene (.scn)?

No it's not going to backup the firmware, why would you want that.

Open up a .scn in a text editor and take a look.  It's all ASCII and easily readable.  All scenes have every parameter.  Scene safe settings are applied as the scene is recalled.  A show is collection of scenes. 

I would have to look, I am not sure if all system parameters (clock rate for example) are written to a scene file.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 04:43:11 AM »

No it's not going to backup the firmware, why would you want that.

I don't know. I'm trying to understand how the much-needed "full console backup" is different than what we've had up until now with Scenes (not full since it's only one Scene) and Shows (all Scenes, so why isn't that a full console backup?).

I don't yet have 4.01 on a console.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »

I don't know. I'm trying to understand how the much-needed "full console backup" is different than what we've had up until now with Scenes (not full since it's only one Scene) and Shows (all Scenes, so why isn't that a full console backup?).

I don't yet have 4.01 on a console.

The full console backup includes all scenes, snippets, libraries, effects, routing, and any other presets you can save in the console.  The new firmware allows for a single button backup of all of that.  Saving a Show does not save the libraries.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 04:03:01 PM »

It's in the Scene view window.

Shoot me now, I can't find it.  This is the windows that displays wihen the Scenes view button is pushed.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:07:00 PM by Kirby Yarbrough »

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 04:55:07 PM »

Shoot me now, I can't find it.  This is the windows that displays wihen the Scenes view button is pushed.
Try opening the "Home" tab.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »

Press the SCENES VIEW button, left-arrow to HOME tab.  Cue list is displayed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.