ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 fiber snakes on one reel?  (Read 3144 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: 2 fiber snakes on one reel?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »

anyone ever seen this or done this?
For Digico, there's 2 Opticalcons needed. On Yamaha, there Main and Redundant cables.
I've only ever seen separate reels for the 2 fiber lines. Anyone ever loomed them together onto one reel for speedier setup/strike? Good idea? Bad idea?
I've done 1 tactical cat-5, 1 SDI 1694a and one XLR loomed together on a reel for 250'.  No issues with the different stiffness of the 3 cables.  I had a big reel though and didn't have to tight-pack the windings to get it all to fit.  (a retired analog snake reel)
I found the 3 lines together helped prevent the pigtail twists and hard radius bends that can happen easier with single coax or ethernet lines.  I also loomed them in a flat side-by-side arrangement so taping down over aisles was easy and non-obtrusive (especially when additionally covered by a taped-down mat) -almost too unobtrusive as you had to keep an eye on overzealous venue volunteers from easily rolling chair and table carts over them during strike!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »

Great stuff. Thanks, everyone!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

We have both quad and single runs of fiber and the RIO & console UPS racks are set up with both types of connectors to separate SPF ports on the switches.  The one time I've had a fiber fail it was cut clean thru by a hotel airwall so my experience has me using the quad cable last.

Not a concern in my case.

I have been using Quad core for a while and running a single fiber line (without issue), but with the new Yamaha switches using Dual, it'll be 2 fiber runs instead of one. I understand all the risks, more interested in hearing whether or not anyone has loomed a couple of fibers together successfully on a reel and used it that way on tour?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »

We have both quad and single runs of fiber and the RIO & console UPS racks are set up with both types of connectors to separate SPF ports on the switches.  The one time I've had a fiber fail it was cut clean thru by a hotel airwall so my experience has me using the quad cable last.

Goes back to that whole "redundancy means separate cable paths too" thing.  Of course, reality dictates that we rarely have such a luxury.

Your point is still well made of course...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 08:14:44 PM »

Goes back to that whole "redundancy means separate cable paths too" thing.  Of course, reality dictates that we rarely have such a luxury.

Your point is still well made of course...

Yes Virginia, there are two paths, one against the dasher on each side of the arena.  For the really big $$$$ corporates, the client will punch through sheet rock and pay for the restoration before they will risk a preventable injury to a guest or company officer if path redundancy is required.  For the rest of us it's "that path was safe/good enough for last week's event".  Right before a queen mary loaded with 80 covered plates and serviceware rolls across it...

On the last Tom Petty tour, Scovi had 2 separated digital audio paths and an analog drive for back up.  If anyone from Sound Image wants to comment on the general nature of dual paths and auto/manual fall over, feel free to post (I know you're reading... ;) )
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »

Yes Virginia, there are two paths, one against the dasher on each side of the arena.  For the really big $$$$ corporates, the client will punch through sheet rock and pay for the restoration before they will risk a preventable injury to a guest or company officer if path redundancy is required.  For the rest of us it's "that path was safe/good enough for last week's event".  Right before a queen mary loaded with 80 covered plates and serviceware rolls across it...

On the last Tom Petty tour, Scovi had 2 separated digital audio paths and an analog drive for back up.  If anyone from Sound Image wants to comment on the general nature of dual paths and auto/manual fall over, feel free to post (I know you're reading... ;) )

don't want to swerve, but...  The new XTA MX36 is a REALLY nice piece of kit.  I got the full walk through at AES and i was suitably impressed.

/endswerve
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.