ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 fiber snakes on one reel?  (Read 3177 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
2 fiber snakes on one reel?
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:49:17 PM »

anyone ever seen this or done this?
For Digico, there's 2 Opticalcons needed. On Yamaha, there Main and Redundant cables.
I've only ever seen separate reels for the 2 fiber lines. Anyone ever loomed them together onto one reel for speedier setup/strike? Good idea? Bad idea?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: 2 fiber snakes on one reel?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »

For Digico, there's 2 Opticalcons needed. On Yamaha, there Main and Redundant cables.
I've only ever seen separate reels for the 2 fiber lines. Anyone ever loomed them together onto one reel for speedier setup/strike? Good idea? Bad idea?

First, Occasionally snakes need to be taken off the reel to go through a hole. 
Second, striking the two fibers often is done separately and will be hard to get back on the reel together.
Third, in some fiber uses the 2 fibers are main and backup and properly should be run in divergent paths.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »

I'd like to hear more about this.

Our set up uses two reels for our SD10. As it is, they fit into my FOH snake boxes better as separate reels. But they follow the same path and go to the same location, so it might be better/easier to use them on the same reel.

The only thing I can think would present a concern is that the two Optocore connectors would be a bit more unwieldy with both of them together on the same reel.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »

Most of my fiber work in temporary setups has been video.  I've frequently used 4 fiber cables that run from the video router to the projector stacks.  Each fiber feeds 1 PJ.  I haven't personally done a 4 PJ stack so we've got at least one spare at each location.  Works great and since it's one cable it's one reel.  You could do this same thing depending on your fiber termination.  You might need a fanout at each end but those are easy.

I wouldn't put two cables loomed up on the same spool, I find they never really wind up as nicely as you think they might.  Identical cables will probably work better than a mix of analog snake, dmx, network, etc though.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »

We use four core single mode fiber with ST connectors, so main and redundant lines are in the same physical cable. Yeah, not perfect, we could always run two separate cables if things were that critical.  But one cable means one reel.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »

First, Occasionally snakes need to be taken off the reel to go through a hole. 
Second, striking the two fibers often is done separately and will be hard to get back on the reel together.
Third, in some fiber uses the 2 fibers are main and backup and properly should be run in divergent paths.
Not a concern in my case.

I have been using Quad core for a while and running a single fiber line (without issue), but with the new Yamaha switches using Dual, it'll be 2 fiber runs instead of one. I understand all the risks, more interested in hearing whether or not anyone has loomed a couple of fibers together successfully on a reel and used it that way on tour?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:13:55 PM »

Not a concern in my case.

I have been using Quad core for a while and running a single fiber line (without issue), but with the new Yamaha switches using Dual, it'll be 2 fiber runs instead of one. I understand all the risks, more interested in hearing whether or not anyone has loomed a couple of fibers together successfully on a reel and used it that way on tour?

Add a panel mount OpticalCon Quad to the rack and use 2 LC jumper pairs to connect the Quad to 2 Duals in the switches and stick with a single quad run.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »

Add a panel mount OpticalCon Quad to the rack and use 2 LC jumper pairs to connect the Quad to 2 Duals in the switches and stick with a single quad run.

Mac

Yup, that’s how I’ve seen it done.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Daniel Levi

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »

and Sommer do opticalcon quad reels, as you might expect not cheap.

Mark Dunne

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »

Hi Andrew

I had exactly what you are describing on hire earlier this year from Capital Sound (now SSE/Solotech).

They have a 150m HMA pair on a drum - the drum is fixed to a wheel base with a lid.

Was particularly useful for the job I did as it was a small venue - we only needed a ~30m run of fibre, and there would've been no room for a trunk with 120m of excess cable (mains, analogue, and fibre).

M

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.