ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser EW100 G4 for theatre (or alternative suggestions)  (Read 6074 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Sennheiser EW100 G4 for theatre (or alternative suggestions)
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 08:42:23 PM »

Ah, you pointed to the can of worms so I guess I have to open it all the way.  I'm sorry that the following is lengthy.

Allow me to explain... I live and operate in Fayette County, Pennsylvania- a generally rural, low cost-of-living area.  Simply put, "those customers" are ~90% of the customer base within a 1-hour drive.  Profitable concerts don't happen here and national acts don't come here.  There are no clubs, event centers, or performing arts centers that aren't community theaters, there are very few corporate gigs because there are very few large corporations.  The number of clients that are interested in paying the extra money it would cost to have state of the art audio reinforcement at their event is limited at best.

Also, while audio reinforcement is not new to me, my company is fairly young.  I've been independently handling audio work and building up an inventory for about the past year and only in August officially formed a company.  While my goal *is* to target the ~10% of good clients in my area and the LARGE number of good clients in the Pittsburgh region, they're currently all served by companies that, let's face it, have way more resources backing them than I do.  I'm just too small at the moment, but am very happy with the progress I've made.

I'm referring to 2 companies when I say "competition".  They both have wireless rigs made up of a mish-mash of different systems including BLX, SLX, Audio Technica 3000 G3 & G4 and System 10 Pro (which, god forbid, is 2.4G).  Often the receivers find themselves at FOH position, shoved in a metal rack with (you know where I'm going with this) the 1/4 wave antennas stuck on the back of each of them.  I've seen these guys run a 32 channel rig made up of 3 different systems mentioned above!  The systems drop out, fuzz and pop, and apparently they haven't learned gain structure because they distort like mad.
Yes, I'm expecting to run into RF issues with 8-12 channels of paddle-fed EW100s but nowhere near the RF issues from the above-mentioned configuration.

The schools and companies that use them are getting complaints from ticketholders and donors that paid money and deserve better.  I'm starting to work connections and get into these venues and they have been very pleased with the positive change I've brought to the intelligibility of their sound.  I've even got a compliment from one director saying "I'll kiss the ground you spit on".  Other potential customers are starting to notice.

Also, I said 8 - 12 channels but I'm leaning more towards 8, broken up into 2 racks of 4.  I have mentioned that I do plan on adding QLXDs over time and I'm sure eventually most of my rig will be made up of such.

If anyone has advice for me and my situation I'll take all the input I can get.  Thank you again, everyone, for the replies.

Dude, you are in my backyard.  Aren't you the guy who has covered some of the larger events at Seven Springs?  You have some time to give me a call in the office on Monday, I am going to be working on end of year crap all day (well my wife doesn't get off work until 1AM so probably will get in around the crack of noon) I have some ideas that you can accommodate these events and not have to spend as much capital. 

Go to our website in my sig.  Phone numbers on the site.  The scheduling and sales options go to me. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Loren Miller

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 09:55:12 PM »

OP, I get where you are coming from, but I would agree with the others and even suggest going up to the ULXD quads, the antenna cascading feature saves you money, space, weight and time. 1 Iec to power everything(get a y split ice). Also you have a cross-rentable asset, built for the road that will last a decade +.

*used UR4D might be your answer, previous flagship model with great used deals to be found.

ULXD is more expensive in the short term, but It can grow with your company (dante, rider friendly, encryption, network, no companding).

PS. The Pyle Pro PMHMS20 at $15 each sounds illegally good with some aggressive EQ and the middle schoolers can do their worst and you don't have to care.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »

Dude, you are in my backyard.  Aren't you the guy who has covered some of the larger events at Seven Springs?  You have some time to give me a call in the office on Monday, I am going to be working on end of year crap all day (well my wife doesn't get off work until 1AM so probably will get in around the crack of noon) I have some ideas that you can accommodate these events and not have to spend as much capital. 

Go to our website in my sig.  Phone numbers on the site.  The scheduling and sales options go to me.
Ha, I'm afraid that you're thinking of someone else.  I haven't done anything at 7 springs bigger than a wedding reception.
I mean, I just turned 20 last month but I'm glad that I was able to mask my juvenility to the point that you thought I was anything in the vicinity of established.
Knowing that, if you're still willing to have a brief phone conversation I would love to pick your mind.

To give you an understanding of exactly where I'm located, I live about 5 minutes away from Nemacolin Woodlands Resort.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »

Ha, I'm afraid that you're thinking of someone else.  I haven't done anything at 7 springs bigger than a wedding reception.
I mean, I just turned 20 last month but I'm glad that I was able to mask my juvenility to the point that you thought I was anything in the vicinity of established.
Knowing that, if you're still willing to have a brief phone conversation I would love to pick your mind.

To give you an understanding of exactly where I'm located, I live about 5 minutes away from Nemacolin Woodlands Resort.

Well the 20 doesn't scare me, as long as you know what you are doing and are on time.    May be able to toss you some bones for that venue. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justin Quinn

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »

OP, I get where you are coming from, but I would agree with the others and even suggest going up to the ULXD quads, the antenna cascading feature saves you money, space, weight and time. 1 Iec to power everything(get a y split ice). Also you have a cross-rentable asset, built for the road that will last a decade +.

*used UR4D might be your answer, previous flagship model with great used deals to be found.

ULXD is more expensive in the short term, but It can grow with your company (dante, rider friendly, encryption, network, no companding).

PS. The Pyle Pro PMHMS20 at $15 each sounds illegally good with some aggressive EQ and the middle schoolers can do their worst and you don't have to care.
Holy crap you're right... I forgot about the UR4D's but a quick eBay search shows that there *are* amazing deals on it.  Seriously might consider that.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2019, 11:28:20 PM »

Well the 20 doesn't scare me, as long as you know what you are doing and are on time.    May be able to toss you some bones for that venue.
Then I'll try to give you a call sometime tomorrow after noon.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »

While I have you guys on here...

Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive over-the-ear microphones?  As much as I love microphones from the likes of countryman and DPA, for school productions it is a really bad idea to put a $300+ earpiece on a middle or high schooler.  I've seen so many earpieces get murdered by kids.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a $100ish dollar (preferably with a removable cable, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose) earpiece that is still reasonably durable and sounds passable.  For school applications I would rather have something that is minimally painful to replace when broken (and let me tell you, they will get broken) rather than a top of the line mic that you'd shed tears over if it breaks.

Take a look at Bodymics' "Drury Lane" mics; they have replaceable cables (and are available with a fair number of different connectors) and are modestly priced. The earworn versions allow you to adjust the boom length for different sized heads/faces, too, which I think is an advantage for rentals.  Acceptable sound quality for an economy mic, but YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »

Holy crap you're right... I forgot about the UR4D's but a quick eBay search shows that there *are* amazing deals on it.  Seriously might consider that.

If you go this route, try to get the UR4D+ model. More recent vintage and has an antenna cascade port not on the original.
Bear in mind these are discontinued/EOL so spare parts might be a challenge after the bin at the mothership is empty.
G1 or H4 would be the still legal band splits.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »

Bear in mind these are discontinued/EOL so spare parts might be a challenge after the bin at the mothership is empty.
Yes, that is the first thing that hit my mind.  But, at least for the time being, there seem to be a decent stock of used and parts-only components so it doesn't scare me too much...

Of course the 600MHz systems are going for super cheap but... well... ya know.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »

. . . Also you have a cross-rentable asset, built for the road that will last a decade +.

Actually, the ULXD was originally designed as an install product, never intended for the touring market.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 04:39:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.