ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Conduit --$64K -- Help  (Read 6401 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Conduit --$64K -- Help
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

We have multiple quotes and the 64K is time and material.

Troy

I assume at least one of these quotes is from an electrical contractor that does a lot of commercial work?  As indicated, conduit can be fairly labor intensive-but there can be a significant difference in the time it takes an experienced installer versus someone that "can do it".  That said, if the project is well defined-number of runs/locations etc. and the quotes are all close, then you probably have a good estimate of the actual cost.  If the "time and materials"  quote (estimate?) is signficantly lower and doesn't include a "not to exceed" cap, I'd be very cautious.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »

Our construction is a complete remodel only three walls of the original building are left. We have a new roof using an open ceiling design and could even cut the cement and run underground. I totally understand not wanting to risk a screw through the wall. Is there are reason why we can't run pvc in ceiling versus metal conduit?

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Troy

This has been alluded to in an earlier post, but I think the issue you are having is that the AV contractor was simply brought in to the project too late. If his conduit requirements had been given to the electrical contractor before he had formulated his bid, the AV conduit system would be rolled into the entire electrical package and the figure of $64K would never have been broken out separately...the EC's bid would be conduit/labor for everything.
Scott Hofmann

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »

Like others have said, there may be local code issues that require the use of conduit in low voltage installations.  Beyond that conduit makes cable install easier and faster.  It also makes re-fit easy and fast, sometimes without it re-fit is impossible.  Consider that AVL install usually comes in last.  If there's conduit in place (and properly installed/not blocked) they pull in lines quickly and easily and then spend their time terminating.  Without it they either have to come before walls get drywall or they have to get lifts in and do a much harder and more time consuming pull.  If it's a free air pull at the end the presence of lifts/scaff etc will slow down other trades from finishing their work or if those trades are done it will make the AVL process even harder. 

My money would be that if you had the AVL install speced out running in free air the difference will be more than 64K due to increased labor costs.  If cable is installed before walls go up and the drywall hanger puts a screw through a cable bundle that's gonna be another expensive, time consuming, and dirty fix too.

You may need to have a talk with your AVL contractor about ways to reduce the conduit needs.  Crosstalk though, that's pretty much bunk unless you've got a long run closely in parallel with mains cable.

If the bids are already in, and if the bolded statement is true-shouldn't the cost of conduit be on the AV installer?  I mean, they can either invest labor for cable install, or they can do conduit if they feel it is "best practice"?  Or perhaps the difference should have been listed as an option?

If there really is that much trade off, then one shouldn't have to pay the AV installer for the extra labor for a free air install AND pay an EC to install conduit?

Steve Swaffer

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 10:20:48 PM »

If the bids are already in, and if the bolded statement is true-shouldn't the cost of conduit be on the AV installer?  I mean, they can either invest labor for cable install, or they can do conduit if they feel it is "best practice"?  Or perhaps the difference should have been listed as an option?

If there really is that much trade off, then one shouldn't have to pay the AV installer for the extra labor for a free air install AND pay an EC to install conduit?

No, the AVL contractor will have language in the contract that conduit is the responsibility of the EC.  Running in free air will be a change order with associated costs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 10:20:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.