ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy Chain Speakers and Receiver needs  (Read 5391 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Daisy Chain Speakers and Receiver needs
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »

I'm modifying my original post (struck-through below), for clarity.

The correct way to do this would be to get a 70V mixer/amp.  This would allow you to daisy chain your speakers, as they have transformers built into them to do exactly this.

Make sure that your speakers are set to 8 ohms per page two in the installation manual.  I'm guessing that they are not currently set that way, or you might have burned up your amp.  The correct way to do this would be to get a 70V mixer/amp.  This would allow you to daisy chain your speakers, as they have transformers built into them to do exactly this.  Another way of skinning this cat would be to put impedance matched volume controls on each pair of speakers.  This would require home running each speaker to your amp, but would allow you to adjust the volume to each pair.  Handy, but probably not necessary in this scenario.  Make sure it's impedance matching and has amp protection.  Something like this:

https://www.osdaudio.com/products/speaker-selector/volume-control-selectors/ssvc4.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:21:59 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »

Go with the mono option, stereo has no value in this scenario.
I've never been able to clearly understand electricty and its affects on sound systems.  Really looking for some help.  As a brewery owner, dont have a lot of money to redo the whole thing but maybe rewiring or adding an amp can be doable.
I can see that. Whatever possessed you to use that "man cave surround sound AV receiver" for this?? For less than half the cost you could have done it right. Those speakers can be used with a 70V system, so since you are amenable to buying another amp, get yourself a commercial 70V mixer/amp to replace that thing.  It will have a 70V output so you can leave your wiring as is. I would get a 200W amp and set that switch in each speaker to 70V/15 watts.

You owe me a beer.

-Hal

Kirk Medeiros

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 06:27:37 PM »

I can see that. Whatever possessed you to use that "man cave surround sound AV receiver" for this?? For less than half the cost you could have done it right. Those speakers can be used with a 70V system, so since you are amenable to buying another amp, get yourself a commercial 70V mixer/amp to replace that thing.  It will have a 70V output so you can leave your wiring as is. I would get a 200W amp and set that switch in each speaker to 70V/15 watts.

You owe me a beer.

-Hal

LOL yes I do!! Looks like the 300W amp Lee Douglas linked should work?  When we moved into the location we have, these speakers were existing from the previous tenant (a winery) they took their receiver and amp.  We had a best buy rep out to set us up with tvs and he threw in the receiver, saying its all we would need.  Apparently not.

Thanks for the help.  As green as I am on this.  Is that 300W amp Lee Douglas suggested all I need?  Do i still connect to the Onkyo receiver or can that go away?  I may be asking too much, but if there is anyway you can link me other suggestions with a wire diagram so i know how this is all hooked up.  I am thinking about purchasing a wireless mic that i can connect to the receiver for when we do events and raffle giveaways.

Thanks again

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »

LOL yes I do!! Looks like the 300W amp Lee Douglas linked should work?  When we moved into the location we have, these speakers were existing from the previous tenant (a winery) they took their receiver and amp.  We had a best buy rep out to set us up with tvs and he threw in the receiver, saying its all we would need.  Apparently not.

Thanks for the help.  As green as I am on this.  Is that 300W amp Lee Douglas suggested all I need?  Do i still connect to the Onkyo receiver or can that go away?  I may be asking too much, but if there is anyway you can link me other suggestions with a wire diagram so i know how this is all hooked up.  I am thinking about purchasing a wireless mic that i can connect to the receiver for when we do events and raffle giveaways.

Thanks again

You should buy the amp and mic from a local integrator and let them wire it up for you.  That way everything will work.  You have to verify your wiring is parallel and make sure speakers set for 70volt tap. 

Yes, you will still need a source for the music.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 08:18:45 PM »

LOL yes I do!! Looks like the 300W amp Lee Douglas linked should work?

NO!  The link I posted was a work around, not an amplifier and not recommended.  Sorry for the confusion. 

If I were doing this, I would purchase a Bogen GS-250 from a reputable installer and have them install it, verifying the speaker wiring while they were doing it.  This would also make adding a wireless mic a snap.

https://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/mixerampspdfs/GS-SeriesDs.pdf
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:25:04 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »

Do you want this system to be just for background music or run at foreground party music levels?

A foreground party music system can always be turned down when only background music is needed but don't expect a background music system to hold together when cranked up for party music.

The Bogen amp mention would be fine for background but not so great for cranked up party music.

70 volt distributed systems can sound really good, you just need real amps and processing to run them.

Don't expect the speakers you have to shake the building with low frequency, they should be high pass filtered at at least 60hz to help then sound cleaner when pushed hard. If running them as a 70 volt system I would bump up the high pass to at least 70hz.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 07:30:03 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

We had a best buy rep out to set us up with tvs and he threw in the receiver, saying its all we would need.  Apparently not.
I had a Best Buy rep buy me some beer once. Worst beer I ever had.  ;D
-Hal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 02:53:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.