ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy Chain Speakers and Receiver needs  (Read 5386 times)

Kirk Medeiros

Daisy Chain Speakers and Receiver needs
« on: December 19, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »

Hi All, I have a brewery tasting room, we took over the location that was previously a winery.  Box, flat walls with concrete floor and 15' high metal finished ceiling.  Needless to say it gets loud pretty quick.

We have 7 Sound Advance FMS860B speakers daisy chained to the receiver.  I am currently away from the bar so I can't give exact measurements of the run of wire from the receiver to the last speaker, but i did attach a floor plan with the red boxes representing the speakers with the red line representing the wire configuration.

I have a Onkyo TX-NR575 receiver.  We have the wire connected to the front right connection of the receiver.

We have to have the receiver volume at 90 out of 100 to have decent sound, we use a digital jukebox that we can turn volume up further on busy nights.  The sound is heavily distorted with any song that has bass.  I have a feeling we need an amplifier to boost power to the speakers in order to have decent sound. 

I've never been able to clearly understand electricty and its affects on sound systems.  Really looking for some help.  As a brewery owner, dont have a lot of money to redo the whole thing but maybe rewiring or adding an amp can be doable.

Thanks all.  I attached cuts from the speaker and receiver manuals and a footprint of the tasting room.

Kirk Medeiros

Re: Daisy Chain Speakers and Receiver needs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »

Files were too large here is the Speaker info

Kirk Medeiros

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

Speaker info number 2

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »

Per the rule at the top of the page and when you signed up you must use your real, verifiable name as your display name.

The mods will lock the thread until you comply.

Thanks
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kirk Medeiros

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »

Per the rule at the top of the page and when you signed up you must use your real, verifiable name as your display name.

The mods will lock the thread until you comply.

Thanks

Thanks didn't know that.  Fixed

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »

The type of amplifier you're using ( and most low cost amps )  can only have two speakers connected to each channel before it starts to distort. Rewire the speakers such that you have a single speaker connected to each of the seven amp channels the spec sheet seems to say that you have and your should be good.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:39:37 PM by Riley Casey »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »

The type of amplifier you're using ( and most low cost amps )  can only have two speakers connected to each channel before it starts to distort. Rewire the speakers such that you have a single speaker connected to each of the seven amp channels the spec sheet seems to say that you have and your should be good.
One place says 'both channels' and another place says 7 channels. :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:55:58 PM »

We have 7 Sound Advance FMS860B speakers daisy chained to the receiver.  We have the wire connected to the front right connection of the receiver.

That is not going to work, you essentially have a dead short attached to the amp assuming all those speakers are in parallel... that is what most people refer to as "daisy chained". That receiver has a pair of main outputs and a second pair on another zone output which could be useful here, the surround outputs probably aren't really useful as it is not likely the receiver can drive all of them with an unprocessed full range output signal and even of it can(I have a Pioneer AVR that can do 6-ch fullrange), it won't deliver anywhere near the rated power into all of those outputs at the same time.
With those speakers being 4ohm minimum you need to wire pairs in series and connect those pairs to each of the main and zone2 outputs, then things should work normally. You can put the one odd speaker on a channel by itself but it will be louder than the others, a small balance adjustment on the receiver should fix this however.  This will require somebody that knows the difference between series and parallel wiring and also will require a lot more wire than what you have now, best to hire an AV contractor of some sort.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:06:43 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Kirk Medeiros

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »

That is not going to work, you essentially have a dead short attached to the amp assuming all those speakers are in parallel... that is what most people refer to as "daisy chained". That receiver has a pair of main outputs and a second pair on another zone output which could be useful here, the surround outputs probably aren't really useful as it is not likely the receiver can drive all of them with an unprocessed full range output signal and even of it can(I have a Pioneer AVR that can do 6-ch fullrange), it won't deliver anywhere near the rated power into all of those outputs at the same time.
With those speakers being 4ohm minimum you need to wire pairs in series and connect those pairs to each of the main and zone2 outputs, then things should work normally. You can put the one odd speaker on a channel by itself but it will be louder than the others, a small balance adjustment on the receiver should fix this however.  This will require somebody that knows the difference between series and parallel wiring and also will require a lot more wire than what you have now, best to hire an AV contractor of some sort.

If I were to wire all 7 speakers on all 7 channels of my receiver and choose
"All Stereo" - This mode is ideal for background music. Stereo sound is played through the surround speakers as well as the front
speakers, creating a stereo image.

or "Full Mono" - In this mode, all speakers output the same sound in mono, so the sound you hear is the same regardless of where
you are within the listening room.

Yes a lot of wiring but seems like for background music this may be the cheapest option.  its about 320' of 14/16 gauge wires

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »

Go with the mono option, stereo has no value in this scenario.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.