ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: " I want to be louder than everything else"  (Read 3257 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: " I want to be louder than everything else"
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »

Just because he's the director does not mean he's the client but it does mean he's the Barking Dog that was hired by client.  I tend to think that when I'm hired to be the Mixerperson, it's because the client is familiar, at least in passing, with the nature and quality of my mixing work and desires something like what they've heard.  In this case I'd have to go to whomever hired me and inquire if the music director is also the production manager, and ask if they will be happy with the results if I conform to the MD's direction of my mixing.  This is where we suss out the politics and who is *really* in charge of various things... but it's shitty if it ever has to get to this point.

If the micromanagement is sufficiently tolerable that I finish the run, I raise my rates to that client (usually double) and if they hire me back, I'll remind myself that money buys therapy and shiny new toys.  It's happened. :D :D

^^this

for me it bought a move to a warmer climate and a pretty nice house.  My version of therapy and nice toys...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »

Just because he's the director does not mean he's the client but it does mean he's the Barking Dog that was hired by client.  I tend to think that when I'm hired to be the Mixerperson, it's because the client is familiar, at least in passing, with the nature and quality of my mixing work and desires something like what they've heard.  In this case I'd have to go to whomever hired me and inquire if the music director is also the production manager, and ask if they will be happy with the results if I conform to the MD's direction of my mixing.  This is where we suss out the politics and who is *really* in charge of various things... but it's shitty if it ever has to get to this point.

If the micromanagement is sufficiently tolerable that I finish the run, I raise my rates to that client (usually double) and if they hire me back, I'll remind myself that money buys therapy and shiny new toys.  It's happened. :D :D

This is it! Always know who you're actually working for.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »

The more I work in this field, the more I realize that a huge part of the job amounts to managing egos and expectations.

I'd have smiled-and-nodded to mr. Director, taken it as a suggestion for the mix, and considered it in the context of mixing my way.  If the issue came back after the show, then we could open that can of worms...

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »

The more I work in this field, the more I realize that a huge part of the job amounts to managing egos and expectations.

There was a poster from the Netherlands active a few years ago who's sig was along the lines of "Hi, I'm Sebastian and I'll be your psychoacoustic caretaker tonight", I've always tried to bear that in mind.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »

There was a poster from the Netherlands active a few years ago who's sig was along the lines of "Hi, I'm Sebastian and I'll be your psychoacoustic caretaker tonight", I've always tried to bear that in mind.
"Hi I'm (name) and I will be taking care of your aural requirements."
Usually gets a laff!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »

Had an evaluation today with one of my regular clients. He was a little baffled after 200 gigs without incident.

He had 2 complaints about me from bands in the last 4 months, who told him i was too strict/grim, but still wanted to work with me. I guessed both incidents right. Too loud is too loud. I also told him to never ask those bands back. He agreed. He pays. He can only do that when people show up. I intent to keep it that way.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »

"But you may call me Monitor Dude" is the rest of his sig...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 09:07:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.