ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32 Edit 4.1 on Catalina  (Read 6125 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
M32 Edit 4.1 on Catalina
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »

Can anyone give a definitive answer on whether or not the new 4.1 app will run on Catalina?  The FB page is all over the board.  I can't get it load?  Thanks in advance!

Taylor Hall

Re: M32 Edit 4.1 on Catalina
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »

Given Catalina's current track record with various programs' reliability, the crapshoot of success/failure that you're seeing is pretty spot on. There's a whole other thread on here of people trying (and often failing) to get things running like they should.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »

Can anyone give a definitive answer on whether or not the new 4.1 app will run on Catalina?  The FB page is all over the board.  I can't get it load?  Thanks in advance!
Get a cheap Windows machine.  Don't wait for Apple or the software authors to figure it out.  SERIOUSLY..
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 07:23:01 AM »

I'm disappointed that Midas has not worked this out yet?  I've seen where some people can seem to get to load, while others are stuck.  I'm not in the position to buy a PC just for this one app.  Mixing station is working well and I'll go with that for the time being. 

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:03 AM »

I'm disappointed that Midas has not worked this out yet?  I've seen where some people can seem to get to load, while others are stuck.  I'm not in the position to buy a PC just for this one app.  Mixing station is working well and I'll go with that for the time being.

The hit-or-miss operation is likely due to some users having a program or driver package installed that has a dependency/driver/library that is 64-bit compatible, and therefore allows M32 Edit to run.

I think a lot of people don't quite grasp just how big of a wrench in the works Catalina is for developers. With Catalina, support for ANY 32-bit processes is removed. That includes core programs, plug-ins, license/activation services, audio/video/device drivers, etc etc. The issues are also not limited to 'smaller' dev outfits like MG, either. Adobe is having a ridiculously hard time navigating this change as various 32-bit components are in every single product and utility they offer. Microsoft is in a similar boat with its Office suite. So if a user 'upgrades' to Catalina, they not only can't use these apps, they can't even uninstall them since the uninstaller is, you guessed it, a 32-bit application. Catalina also removes itunes, so any program that relied on it for library management or audio services is bricked as well, which covers a hefty portion of DJ tools and production software like Apple's own Protools.

This isn't the first time that a new version of MacOS has screwed things up, by this point I figured Apple users would be used to waiting 3-6 months after a release to let everything settle, especially those users who depend on their devices in a professional capacity. It's an easy enough process to downgrade back to Mojave or Sierra, so people may as well do that until all this gets sorted out.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:14:09 AM »

I'm sure as hell not switching to a Windows machine for my daily driver. I've just learned to put off major OS updates as long as possible. There's nothing wrong with the older system I'm running so why upgrade before the dust settles? Not helpful for OP, but if you need the apps more than the new OS "improvements" why be so quick to update?

[posted from 2018 MBP running Mojave 10.14.6]

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »

Unfortunately, my Mac was having some issues and the only way Apple suggesting fixing was to update.  It did fix the issues of freezing and not loading properly, unfortunately the one app that did not take was the Midas.  I had a few others that I use that went well, not so much with the Midas app.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »

If having the Behringer editor run correctly on your computer is mission critical to your computer use it sounds like its time to back up your machine to an external drive, wipe the internal drive and reinstall a version of the OS that supports that app ( Mojave would be the last version before Catalina ) and then reinstall all your other apps and docs. If you Mac won't work correctly with the OS that shipped with it that sounds like you have a hardware problem or a faulty install of the OS.

Unfortunately, my Mac was having some issues and the only way Apple suggesting fixing was to update. ...

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »

For the time being, I'm staying on Catalina.  Although it would be nice to use the software, Mixing Station has filled in most of the holes.  I can do most of the setup from the board and then take it to FOH with my iPad.  My guess is that Midas is working on it and it will just be a matter of time before all is well?  Fingers crossed!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

So can confirm that the latest one will not open on Catalina but the previous version I was using(Nov 2017?) runs although not sure if it will work if the console is on the latest firmware version.

This puts the fault firmly on MG. If the old version is running they added something without confirming it, Catalina dropping 32bit support has been announced for years already, this is not a shock for software developers.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.