ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the new hotness in Hazers?  (Read 4450 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
What's the new hotness in Hazers?
« on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »

My Antari X310 has reached the point where it is unusable. Weirdly it still works fine on manual, but trying to use it on DMX is impossible. At 100% full it only spits out 5-10% of what it does on manual control. And it is wildly inconsistent at that. Sometimes it will be 0. Sometimes it will puff out a thick little cloud.

Anyway. it doesn't give me a fine controllable haze which is what I need. I''m thinking next years budget will include a new hazer.

So what is out there that works well now? This thing will get used once a week, every week, and for holidays like right now at our Christmas show.

P.S. before you ask, it's not a problem with the desk. It does this on any DMX desk. Tried several.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: What's the new hotness in Hazers?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »

Hey Tim, how big of a venue are you trying to fill?  I use the Ultratec Radiance as my general purpose go-to hazer.  It’s a water based haze with plenty of output (sometimes a bit too much in small locations).  The DF-50 is also a solid choice if you prefer the look of oil-based haze.  Granted both of these machines are intended for larger venues.  For smaller work I’ve employed both Antari and Chauvet machines with acceptable results.  Hope this helps!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 11:31:48 AM »

Hey Tim, how big of a venue are you trying to fill?  I use the Ultratec Radiance as my general purpose go-to hazer.  It’s a water based haze with plenty of output (sometimes a bit too much in small locations).  The DF-50 is also a solid choice if you prefer the look of oil-based haze.  Granted both of these machines are intended for larger venues.  For smaller work I’ve employed both Antari and Chauvet machines with acceptable results.  Hope this helps!

It will be used in a 200 cap room mostly for a youth service. Also 3-4 times a year I need it for a larger 700 seater. The big room is about 70x40 feet. 20 foot peak in the middle of the ceiling. So, not arena sized. More "club level" output, but I'm sick of dealing with hazers that constantly die.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean about hazers constantly dying...  I’ve had good luck with the Radiance units, but they’ll be too big for your room.  Ultratec sells a lower volume pump that you can put in the unit to reduce its output, but I’ve never done that myself.  The Chauvet hazers seem to work okay but I don’t own any and can’t comment to their long-term viability.  Good luck!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »

Lots of good hazers available, but budget a $1000-1500.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »

Another  Radiance owner here. I have just had the usual cleaning to do with mine. It has been a workhorse for the 5 years I've owned it.

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:41:44 PM »

It will be used in a 200 cap room mostly for a youth service. Also 3-4 times a year I need it for a larger 700 seater. The big room is about 70x40 feet. 20 foot peak in the middle of the ceiling. So, not arena sized. More "club level" output, but I'm sick of dealing with hazers that constantly die.

Tim, we're using an Ultratec Radiance in a room almost the same size. 40x100 minus backstage area, 17' ceilings. The Radiance running at 7-10% all night with the HVAC on is perfect. And one bottle of fluid lasts about 1.5 years (once per week for a couple hours and a few special events).

I love the little 'pocket' and power outlet on the Radiance. I use it to hold a little City Theatrical WDMX receiver so the hazer can move to anywhere in the venue that is convenient and has power.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:53:12 PM »

Lots of good hazers available, but budget a $1000-1500.
The price doesn't bother me. The Antari we have wasn't cheap.

Looks like I'll try the Radiance I guess. I hope it lasts, and or when something breaks it's serviceable....

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:41:15 PM »

Looks like I'll try the Radiance I guess. I hope it lasts, and or when something breaks it's serviceable....

No worries there - the Radiance is by far one of the easiest machines to clean and service that I’ve ever encountered.  You can read the PDF or check out Ultratec’s Youtube video, but it’s pretty quick and painless.  This machine is an industry standard, and part of being professional-duty in my opinion is the ability for rapid cleaning and repair as needed without days (or weeks/months) of downtime.  Ultratec definitely checks that box here. 

I think you’ll like this one, and if you find the output to be too strong for your use your dealer can get you a lower capacity pump to drop in.  Good luck!   

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »

The price doesn't bother me. The Antari we have wasn't cheap.

Another vote for Radiance.  Don't worry about it being "too much", just put a DMX controlled relay with a fan behind it, or an always-on fan.  Have installed many in churches over the years, clients love them.  And yes, the fluid lasts forever.  I believe the fluid is also easier on the body than other "water based" options.  Glycerol vs glycol
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »

Radiance is impossible to break. I have a friend who runs tap water through his (makes his own juice). He just cleans the heater block every few months.

That said, I hate the look of water based haze.

https://resources.faithchapel.cc/blogs/ultratec_radiance_vs_mdg_atmosphere

It honestly sounds like a dmx issue with the unit, could probably repair the dmx chip.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »

Radiance is impossible to break. I have a friend who runs tap water through his (makes his own juice). He just cleans the heater block every few months.

That said, I hate the look of water based haze.

https://resources.faithchapel.cc/blogs/ultratec_radiance_vs_mdg_atmosphere

It honestly sounds like a dmx issue with the unit, could probably repair the dmx chip.

I wish I could but it’s NLA from Antari.

Terry Martin

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »

I just listed a Radiance in the Marketplace.  It's also on Facebook if you're into that.  It's about 8 years old, but still works great.  Will be using it tonight for the last time.  We're selling all of our production equipment.  Terry

My Antari X310 has reached the point where it is unusable. Weirdly it still works fine on manual, but trying to use it on DMX is impossible. At 100% full it only spits out 5-10% of what it does on manual control. And it is wildly inconsistent at that. Sometimes it will be 0. Sometimes it will puff out a thick little cloud.

Anyway. it doesn't give me a fine controllable haze which is what I need. I''m thinking next years budget will include a new hazer.

So what is out there that works well now? This thing will get used once a week, every week, and for holidays like right now at our Christmas show.

P.S. before you ask, it's not a problem with the desk. It does this on any DMX desk. Tried several.

Branko Pucekovic

• ja sam peder.
    • akaj
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

[/quot
I am very pleased with Look Solutions Unique 2.1 hazer. As long as you use their fluid and follow the shutdown procedure, there is no problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.