ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audix Fusion 15 mics for overhead choir micing  (Read 2971 times)

Tony Mamoh

Audix Fusion 15 mics for overhead choir micing
« on: December 06, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »

I have 4 Audix Fusion 'pencil' condenser mics that I have twice. Each event was to mic a choir of approximately 25 people, in overhead mode using mic stands above the heads of the choir.

On each occasion, despite the channel gain being cranked all the way up, one hardly hears the choir from the PA system. I bought these 'low cost' mics based on some positive reviews. Perhaps these AF15 mics are better suited for cymbal overhead use rather than voice applications.

I'll appreciate comments from others that have used this mic. For now, I may consider using Shure 87C condensers for choir micing

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Audix Fusion 15 mics for overhead choir micing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »

I have 4 Audix Fusion 'pencil' condenser mics that I have twice. Each event was to mic a choir of approximately 25 people, in overhead mode using mic stands above the heads of the choir.

On each occasion, despite the channel gain being cranked all the way up, one hardly hears the choir from the PA system. I bought these 'low cost' mics based on some positive reviews. Perhaps these AF15 mics are better suited for cymbal overhead use rather than voice applications.

I'll appreciate comments from others that have used this mic. For now, I may consider using Shure 87C condensers for choir micing

When I started mic'ing chorus' I went the "inexpensive condensor mic" route using Audiopile C-61's.   
They worked ok....at best.  (They were all that I had at the time.)

I then upgraded to Shure MX202B/C mics for choral applications.
Night and day difference.

As a one-man part time operation I am not one to run out and go-into-debt keeping up with the latest/greatest...and buying them was a stretch at that time for me, but it was well worth the investment.
The mics can be suspended (or stand-mounted - which is the way I use them most of the time).

I've used them for Xmass/spring pops chorus with orchestra accompaniment shows, outdoor HS chorus performances, etc.

I've used up to 4 mics to cover a 120 piece chorus (one mic for each section; sop/alto/tenor/bass) or three if the mens' voices are mixed together in the center.

Hint: I have found that the fewer mics used the better as they will react with each other.
(I had one client that insisted I use 6 mics for a 100+ member chorus on risers.  I put up what he wanted and muted two of them.)   

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

Those are terrible, just awful, mics.

Go on ebay and search for Audio Technica Pro45's which are real choir mics. They are always available used for cheap. I have paid 25 bucks each for them several times. Not only are they great for their intended use as a hanging choir mic, I actually use them other ways too. I toured with a pair as drum overheads. I have made a diy "mouse" to use them as a floor mic, and just general weird instrument micing like for a harpsichord or xylophone, etc.

Or if you want a more traditional Pencil Condenser you really can't beat the Audio Technica Pro 37 for the price. And if you can't find that, a Rode M5 is in the same price range and is a good mic as well.

Of course if you want to step up your game the Shure KSM mics are all fantastic and will give you a lifetime of service.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

Was the console's phantom power on? 

I agree with Tim's assessment.  I own two F15 mics.  I used them once and have never used them again.  They are tuned for high-end frequencies only and can't really reproduce any low-mids or mid frequencies. 
I purchased a couple of pairs of Rode M5s and have been extremely happy with them.  They sell in matched stereo pairs only, but at $200 for the pair the value is really good. 

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »

Was the console's phantom power on? 

I agree with Tim's assessment.  I own two F15 mics.  I used them once and have never used them again.  They are tuned for high-end frequencies only and can't really reproduce any low-mids or mid frequencies. 
I purchased a couple of pairs of Rode M5s and have been extremely happy with them.  They sell in matched stereo pairs only, but at $200 for the pair the value is really good.

Yes, I confirm phantom power was turned on

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »

Those are terrible, just awful, mics.

Go on ebay and search for Audio Technica Pro45's which are real choir mics. They are always available used for cheap. I have paid 25 bucks each for them several times. Not only are they great for their intended use as a hanging choir mic, I actually use them other ways too. I toured with a pair as drum overheads. I have made a diy "mouse" to use them as a floor mic, and just general weird instrument micing like for a harpsichord or xylophone, etc.

Or if you want a more traditional Pencil Condenser you really can't beat the Audio Technica Pro 37 for the price. And if you can't find that, a Rode M5 is in the same price range and is a good mic as well.

Of course if you want to step up your game the Shure KSM mics are all fantastic and will give you a lifetime of service.

Yes, yes, and yes.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 08:08:13 PM »

The Audio-Technica U853R is another classic hanging choir mic. I have 5, which lets me hang a center mic with two to either side. It makes it easier to deal with curved or angled choir risers.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »

I've used the fusion drum mics kits once in a while, and it sounds "off". Like, not very good, especially in the condenser-department. Thin/harsh-ish/crispy-ish. And it's not only about the frequency response for a mic in a choir or a classical instrument setting, it's also about the pickup pattern. Not all "cheaper" microphones do have an equal pickup pattern. The good ones have the stated response from edge to edge in the pattern, the "poorer" ones are not as uniform. So one might get uneven frequency response even if you're using the mic as the pickup pattern states it do cover.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »

So this thread caught my interest and decided to take the leap into a better small diaphragm condenser. I was using the Audix f15 for a few years and could never get them to be consistent. Used them quit a bit on percussion. Well looking at this thread and reading through some past discussions I bought a pair of Audio Technica 4041. I am not one to cheap out on mics and went with friends recommendations on the f15 and never really looked past them until this thread. All I can say is what a difference and can not wait to get them out on the live stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

So this thread caught my interest and decided to take the leap into a better small diaphragm condenser. I was using the Audix f15 for a few years and could never get them to be consistent. Used them quit a bit on percussion. Well looking at this thread and reading through some past discussions I bought a pair of Audio Technica 4041. I am not one to cheap out on mics and went with friends recommendations on the f15 and never really looked past them until this thread. All I can say is what a difference and can not wait to get them out on the live stage.

I LOVE my 4041's.. I use mine for drum overhead and when only using the 3 mic method (kick, snare and O/H),  they pick up the toms REALLY well - sometimes I don't miss individual tom miking at all. They also sound amazing on cymbals too. I've tried mine with acoustic guitar also with exellent results - just a great all round SDC mic.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.