ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FX: Vocal mic distortion?  (Read 2680 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Re: FX: Vocal mic distortion?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

Did you bump up your price for now supplying the production for the headliner act?
Well... we didn't bump the price, rather the customer asked/offered up-front and her offer was equitable... no problems there.

As it turned out, the event/performances went off without a hitch.  The headliner was easy to work with, and as it turned out, they brought their own vocal mics: a green bullet and something else I didn't recognize, being a modified Calrad DM-18.  Their vocal mics produced the "colored" sound they wanted without having to do anything out of the ordinary... I just ran their mix straight-forward... and it sounded just fine. The headliner was very complimentary, especially concerning how easy we were to work with and how I got their mix dialed to their liking in a matter oh... "a couple minutes" during their soundchecks with no fussing about.  I didn't think I did anything out of the ordinary, but they mentioned they'd been playing on the road for about 18 years and what they'd give if it (the sound thing) could always go like that (as they lamented that generally it decidedly doesn't go anywhere near as smoothly).

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 12:48:43 PM »

They offered without asking!!!

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

Of course, don't they all? ;)  Actually our band has a long relationship with the customer/owners of the company putting on last evening's company Christmas party.  Mrs. Company Owner is a performer, lead singer gal in another band in the area and a very supportive fan of our band project as well as the couple being super supportive of the performing arts in the area.

Most of the members of our band was sitting at the company owner's table during a portion of the headliner's performance... I was switching off with our lead guitarist/vocalist on tending the board.  Mrs. Company Owner asked me for insight into the "vintage microphones"... basically "why?"  I explained:  "They look cool."  She admitted "that they do (look cool)... but they sound horrible... all muddy and kind-of distorted sounding... I can't understand any of the lyrics".  I replied:  "I think that's the point... you're not suppose to understand the lyrics."  She said:  "So you can't understand the lyrics either?"  I said:  "Of course not... they're all muddy and distorted."  She wanted to know if I could somehow fix that... I explained it's fixed exactly to their preference.  She was all confused...  "They want it like that???"  I pointed out that the crowd was having a ball... the headliner seems to be a big hit.  She admitted:  "That they are."  She said she still didn't understand.  I said:  "I believe you're showing our age."  She laughed so hard I was concerned we might have to call 911.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:17:40 PM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 07:55:37 PM »

We've all seen/heard the wrong tool used just because it looks cool and or their favorite band used one just like in a music video.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »

as it turned out, they brought their own vocal mics: a green bullet and something else I didn't recognize, being a modified Calrad DM-18.  Their vocal mics produced the "colored" sound they wanted without having to do anything out of the ordinary

That's how it should go.  A pro will show up with the gear needed to get "their sound" out of a stock standard PA or they will have detailed requirements for backline etc in their rider.  Glad to hear you got to work with pros and not the other kind.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »

I'll admit, my heart did a little involuntary pitter-patter when I read that.

Too many of these things end up being unnecessarily challenging on multiple fronts, I'm glad it all worked out for the OP.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.