ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop over tightening mic stand tension knobs people!!!  (Read 5723 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Stop over tightening mic stand tension knobs people!!!
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:20:04 PM »

This can't just happen to me and is so frustrating.

I get it that cheapo mic stand booms take some torque to keep them in place - I have had to do so in the past myself BUT good quality ones do not need to be tightened with a vice grip. 
I use K&M, DR PRO etc and they lock up really easy and stay put but it seems after every  show, I can never release the tension knobs due to ridiculous over tightening.
I have even started to place labels - NO OVER TIGHTENING - as discretely as I can next to the tension knobs to try to dissuade this from happening but to no avail.
This practice ruins the bushings and I have to replace them more often that I should  - Drives me bonkers!!!

Rant over....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Stop over tightening mic stand tension knobs people!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »

I get it that cheapo mic stand booms take some torque to keep them in place - I have had to do so in the past myself BUT good quality ones do not need to be tightened with a vice grip. 
I use K&M, DR PRO etc and they lock up really easy and stay put but it seems after every  show, I can never release the tension knobs due to ridiculous over tightening.
I have even started to place labels - NO OVER TIGHTENING - as discretely as I can next to the tension knobs to try to dissuade this from happening but to no avail.
This practice ruins the bushings and I have to replace them more often that I should  - Drives me bonkers!!!

Rant over....

I got one guy that stands on the legs of the K&M's and bounces when he sings.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »

Rant over....

Get the K&M with the “barbell” rather than the knob.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »

I got one guy that stands on the legs of the K&M's and bounces when he sings.

Buy K&M 200. Lasts at lears,

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »

I do and they are even worse because you can get even more torque on them!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »

Interesting. I would say if you have trouble with overtightening get the knob rather than the barbell. Gives them less leverage. I assumed that's why K&M made them. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »

Interesting. I would say if you have trouble with overtightening get the knob rather than the barbell. Gives them less leverage. I assumed that's why K&M made them. -F

Exactly - that is why I try to avoid the barbell design.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:25 PM »

Exactly - that is why I try to avoid the barbell design.

And we love the barbell handles because it's a convenient place to hang a mic cable when we prep a stage full of mics.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 09:01:21 PM »

If you haven't already, I'll suggest to grease the threads.  Admittedly "they'll" tighten the knobs and collars just as tight, but untightening seems easier... the threads don't seem to be as prone to gall and such.  I use a lithium base grease.

With my band project: A number of years ago I labeled each vocalist's stand with their name, and that's worked extremely well.  All three get the same make/model of stands, being '70's vintage Atlas round base with telescope, and '90's (?) vintage K&M shorter boom arms.  But each respective stand has a different mic clip per each vocalist's "usual vocal mic".  I initially named their stands so I'd get the right clip (and respective stand) in the right place.  However, since the naming the stands, that's served a dual purpose of "stand use education":  Early on after the naming "their" stands, any complaints I fielded about "something's wrong"... my reply was:  "It's exactly as you left it last time you used it."  It didn't take too many of those (and some explanation from me) and the problems just completely disappeared.  Well "that", plus if they forget who they are, they can look down at their stand base and recall.  ;)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

If you haven't already, I'll suggest to grease the threads.  Admittedly "they'll" tighten the knobs and collars just as tight, but untightening seems easier... the threads don't seem to be as prone to gall and such.  I use a lithium base grease.

With my band project: A number of years ago I labeled each vocalist's stand with their name, and that's worked extremely well.  All three get the same make/model of stands, being '70's vintage Atlas round base with telescope, and '90's (?) vintage K&M shorter boom arms.  But each respective stand has a different mic clip per each vocalist's "usual vocal mic".  I initially named their stands so I'd get the right clip (and respective stand) in the right place.  However, since the naming the stands, that's served a dual purpose of "stand use education":  Early on after the naming "their" stands, any complaints I fielded about "something's wrong"... my reply was:  "It's exactly as you left it last time you used it."  It didn't take too many of those (and some explanation from me) and the problems just completely disappeared.  Well "that", plus if they forget who they are, they can look down at their stand base and recall.  ;)

Ha ha ... yes and when one of them screws up the mechanism by over tightening - you know who to point a finger at....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.