ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mesa Subway Bass Amp on board DI  (Read 1371 times)

Mal Brown

Mesa Subway Bass Amp on board DI
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:13 AM »

I've used all the common bass amps over the years.  V4, SVT and a whole boat load of GK.  I'm also a long time fan of the Avalon U5 on bass.  Doing FOH for a band I respect last summer, I took the opportunity to not just throw down a DI for the bass but used the on board in his Mesa D-800.  His amp was sitting on top of his cabinet, not buried in a rack so I could see what I was doing.  Set to Pre EQ.   Wow... So i bought and put 10 pr so gigs on a Subway D-800 and I now own a Mesa D-800+ as my personal amp.  The DI is as good as my Avalon. 

Later had an on line chat with the designer.  He turns out to be a prosound guy as well.  as he puts it, a DI designed by a prosound guy, for prosound guys...

If your bass player is thinking about changing things up, the Subway D-800 and 800+ should be on his or her list.   Sparkly clean to very warm and slightly loose is all on tap in an easy to suss front end.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Wayne Smith2

Re: Mesa Subway Bass Amp on board DI
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »

I wish Mesa would do a guitar rig like that - the power of a Mk V, Mk V or 'V35 front end and solid state amp. I'd jump on it immediately.

Rick Powell

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »

I've used all the common bass amps over the years.  V4, SVT and a whole boat load of GK.  I'm also a long time fan of the Avalon U5 on bass.  Doing FOH for a band I respect last summer, I took the opportunity to not just throw down a DI for the bass but used the on board in his Mesa D-800.  His amp was sitting on top of his cabinet, not buried in a rack so I could see what I was doing.  Set to Pre EQ.   Wow... So i bought and put 10 pr so gigs on a Subway D-800 and I now own a Mesa D-800+ as my personal amp.  The DI is as good as my Avalon. 

Later had an on line chat with the designer.  He turns out to be a prosound guy as well.  as he puts it, a DI designed by a prosound guy, for prosound guys...

If your bass player is thinking about changing things up, the Subway D-800 and 800+ should be on his or her list.   Sparkly clean to very warm and slightly loose is all on tap in an easy to suss front end.

I have a Mesa Walkabout, and never had to use an external DI as the one in the head is far superior to any garden variety box.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:14:00 PM »

I've got a WD-800+ on my Santa list, along with a stack of an Ultra-Lite 2x10 Diagonal over a 1x15.

I'm being on my best behavior right-now... eating all my veggies, and taking out the trash without being nagged, no foul language, etc...

Wish me luck!

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 11:19:54 PM »

I've got a WD800 on my wish list as well. Several of the Mesa Boogies are of the few bass heads on the market that include an integral HPF, a must have in a bass rig IMO.

The designer (Andy...not sure of last name) posts quite a bit on the Talkbass forums (handle: agedhorse) and is a voice of reason in the noise over there. Not sure if he's on PSW or not.

I've learned a lot from him just by reading and interacting and I've learned if he posts anything that challanges my view that I need to reconsider my perspective.

I'm not surprised that the DI is killer.

Martin Primus

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »

Former owner of both the Subway D800 and the Subway Preamp/DI pedal.  Fantastic sounds and being able to chat with Andy on various forums in person just adds to the pleasure of owning Mesa bass products.

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

Andy, yep.  I'm a fan as well.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 11:40:59 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.