Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVB  (Read 13679 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: AVB
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »

Sorry to derail your post, Andrew...but I am working on a sound system design that will be using Dante console and stage boxes. How do I interface Dante to the AVB speaker DSP? Seems I saw a Meyer Sound write up for a project not too long ago that did such. I know there are some boxes that do this [with lots of other formats included]. This is a pretty simple though, just need Dante [probably 8 streams -not multicast] to AVB DSP.

Anyone have an experience with this?

Thanks.

Kent,

The issue is not so much the conversion.  There are a handful of DSP manufactures that will sell you boxes or cards that can translate between Dante and AVB (BSS, Biamp, QSC).  The issue is now you are stuck with two independent/isolated networks.  If the amp has network audio and Data on the same port, you have to load up a computer with multiple NICs to talk to these multiple different networks.

My solution back when I was using iTechHD's with the old Cobranet chip was to simply use the AES3 inputs, and abandon (the amps) networked audio all together.   It resulted in a bunch of Dante to AES boxes  but i didn't have to deal with multiple networks. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:55:35 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »

Let's continue the conversation here!  I'm not interested in joining that forum.
Indeed. Come on in, the water's fine!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott.Sugden

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »

Hi Scott, thanks for the info. Would you care to talk about what specifically L-Acoustics doesn't like about Dante?

I don't think I would say there are things we dislike about Dante and or the other Ethernet based audio formats. Its just that AVB & Milan represent a better solution for our needs.

The reasons I listed in the my previous post above are the key ones, each of the points has technical details associated with it that are improvements over Ethernet based solutions.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 09:18:02 AM »

On its face, AVB appears to have more promise going forward. That said, the "single cable integration" carrot-on-stick has been held out forever. Lone Wolf?

Robert Healey

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »

Sorry to derail your post, Andrew...but I am working on a sound system design that will be using Dante console and stage boxes. How do I interface Dante to the AVB speaker DSP? Seems I saw a Meyer Sound write up for a project not too long ago that did such. I know there are some boxes that do this [with lots of other formats included]. This is a pretty simple though, just need Dante [probably 8 streams -not multicast] to AVB DSP.

Anyone have an experience with this?

Thanks.

Kent,

I designed a very large system (1000+ channels) that used Biamp Tesira Server I/O DSP with Dante cards. The design used Dante wall plates spread throughout the facility to transport audio to the Biamp DSP. The Biamp DSP then transported audio with AVB to Tesira (AVB) equipped Lab Gruppen amplifiers.

The design used Extreme Networks switches. The Dante and AVB coexisted on the same switches. That was difficult to achieve but was successful with close coordination between the integrator, Biamp, and Extreme Networks.

Tom Duffy (2020)

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »

Once upon a time, Dante was supposed to be fully AVB compliant. Then I think AVB changed their protocol to purposely exclude Dante.

Not quite.    The AVB spec originally envisioned having an additional/optional layer-3 version.  Audinate said that once that happened, they would add a compatibility mode to their modules so that all customers would be able to connect to such an AVB network.   
Since AVB never committed to adding layer-3 routing, Audinate removed it from their roadmap.
AES-67 kind of solved the vendor lock-in issue on layer-3 anyway.

Tom (ex-TASCAM, now Bluetooth Products Engineer)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.