ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: GLXD Advanced or QLXD?  (Read 2097 times)

Brian Hancock

Re: GLXD Advanced or QLXD?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 09:48:40 pm »

I would guess the system is at least 15 years old by now, and since i would like to expand with two more channels, i think it's time to replace it altogether.

So I wonít reiterate to many things said before ... but Iíll say this ... if your old units lasted 15 years congrats and welcome to lectrosonics build quality USA made. Not cheap at all but work period ... they are the eng and broadcast standard everywhere, why because on a crab boat when itís -3 and raining they work ... or in a crowded environment they work ... etc.

How does that apply to you ... well Iíve said this about all wireless and I think it generally holds true ... you get what you pay for, personally I think more so than any area of pro av this holds true ... if you want 15 more years of service donít expect that from the level of items you are referring to ... are you sure the lector units canít be repaired? Not that any of these items wonít work ... just something to be aware of.

Qlxd is a decent product for the cost but a mid grade line at best their are draw backs and cost savings both in receiver and transmitter. Maybe look used, uhf-r is a discontinued product but their are literally 100s of thousands of units in service or save up for at least the ulxd line ... decent quality easily rental decent features.

Buy once hurt once ...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 09:28:33 am »

While everyone has offered sage advice here, it's pretty common nowadays to operate in the 2.4ghz band.

I have 8 channels ULX-D used on a weekly basis with no issues. Before that I toured with 1 channel of ULX-D and used it in any and all situations that could be considered "hostile RF environments". Still never had a problem with it. Even with every other band on the festival with multiple high powered Wifi networks running on the same stage.

The whole "shares space with wifi" thing isn't as big of an issue as some make it out to be. In fact I haven't personally talked to anybody that has said they had a problem with Wifi affecting their microphones or vice-verse.

You haven't read of my experiences with 2.4gHz wireless then, have you?  Just like tablet mixing with WiFi - it will work until it doesn't and then it won't work in spite of heroic efforts.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Hjalti Johannesen

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:44 am »

The Allen & Heath Qu-16 is a great little console.  I recommend it. 
But, if your situation is more of a small room, set it and forget it type of situation, then I'd recommend taking a look at the A&H Qu-Pac.  Basically it's the same console as the Qu-16 except without faders, giving it a smaller form factor that can easily be mounted in a rack.  It has the same Automixing algorithm as the Qu-16.  And yes, that can be a lifesaver.

It will mainly be used in a fairly large room, and i would also prefer to have faders. It look's pretty cool though.

This forum has a good way of pulling people up out of the dark ages and bringing them into the modern ages.

If you've been slogging along with an old Spirit desk, even though you think you may not use a lot of these features, you'll be surprised once you have access to them.  And headroom.  Ample console headroom.

Keep the DPA.  Skip the 2.4 GHz.  Get the digital desk with automixing.  And enjoy the 21st century.   8)

Ha, i guess it's about time. in my opinion, all our AV is rather outdated at this point. Also in the process of getting some new lamps at the moment. And would love to get a handful of new projectors.

So I wonít reiterate to many things said before ... but Iíll say this ... if your old units lasted 15 years congrats and welcome to lectrosonics build quality USA made. Not cheap at all but work period ... they are the eng and broadcast standard everywhere, why because on a crab boat when itís -3 and raining they work ... or in a crowded environment they work ... etc.

How does that apply to you ... well Iíve said this about all wireless and I think it generally holds true ... you get what you pay for, personally I think more so than any area of pro av this holds true ... if you want 15 more years of service donít expect that from the level of items you are referring to ... are you sure the lector units canít be repaired? Not that any of these items wonít work ... just something to be aware of.

Qlxd is a decent product for the cost but a mid grade line at best their are draw backs and cost savings both in receiver and transmitter. Maybe look used, uhf-r is a discontinued product but their are literally 100s of thousands of units in service or save up for at least the ulxd line ... decent quality easily rental decent features.

Buy once hurt once ...

I don't know for certain how long we've had it, but i know it's been a long time. I've been very pleased with the Lectrosonics system. The handheld mics were flawless, until someone decided to drop them on the floor. Repeatedly. Until they didn't work anymore.

Lectrosonics only does repairs in US and Canada as far as i can tell. I've enquired about it before at a sound engineer, but he told us that it would be costly, and would also take a long time. We are based in Copenhagen, Denmark for what it's worth. We would also have to rent a similar solution in the meantime, only adding to the final bill.

I know it's expensive to be cheap, but what is a realistic lifespan of the QLX-D? General use will be 10-15 hours a week i would guess. Mostly with two or three channels.

I really appreciate all of the help i've gotten from you all! I'm leaning towards the QLX-D, keep the 4066 and get additional and then replacing the Spirit E12 with a QU-16. Other offers pending though.

John L Nobile

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 11:01:11 am »

Just like tablet mixing with WiFi - it will work until it doesn't and then it won't work in spite of heroic efforts.

That should be a warning sticker on every wifi controllable mixer.

But it will work if you restart everything in the chain. Tablet, board, router etc...

It sometimes helps if you do it with your fingers crossed.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 11:13:33 am »

But it will work if you restart everything in the chain. Tablet, board, router etc...

It sometimes helps if you do it with your fingers crossed.

No it won't
No it doesn't ;)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2019, 09:09:13 pm »

While everyone has offered sage advice here, it's pretty common nowadays to operate in the 2.4ghz band.

I have 8 channels ULX-D used on a weekly basis with no issues. Before that I toured with 1 channel of ULX-D and used it in any and all situations that could be considered "hostile RF environments". Still never had a problem with it. Even with every other band on the festival with multiple high powered Wifi networks running on the same stage.

The whole "shares space with wifi" thing isn't as big of an issue as some make it out to be. In fact I haven't personally talked to anybody that has said they had a problem with Wifi affecting their microphones or vice-verse.

Sorry, I'm confused what ULX-D has to do with running on 2.4 ghz?  I don't see that as an option with the ULX-D line - but maybe I'm missing something?
Steve Swaffer

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 07:29:19 am »

..... until someone decided to drop them on the floor. Repeatedly. Until they didn't work anymore.

That's also a problem that will need to be addressed!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 05:41:36 pm »

We have both QLX-D and ULX-D.  The GLX-D is not for professional applications and we don't use them however we do sell them to Kareoke hosts and for small classroom type applications.  They excel in these applications.

QLX-D is very similar to ULX-D, they transmitters are compatible.  The ULX-D has Dante available and a high density mode that are not available on the QLX-D.  There are other small software differences but we use the systems interchangeably for our events.  We have 8 channels of QLX-D and a ULX-D Quad (4 channels in 1RU.)  They all network into Wireless Workbench well and makes setup a breeze.

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 03:16:47 pm »

Lectrosonics only does repairs in US and Canada as far as i can tell. I've enquired about it before at a sound engineer, but he told us that it would be costly, and would also take a long time. We are based in Copenhagen, Denmark for what it's worth.

Hi, Karl Winkler from Lectrosonics here. Sorry I missed this thread earlier!

Lectrosonics has warranty repair centers in Germany, the UK, and Spain in addition to our US and Canadian facilities. Cost depends of course on the work done, but even when our turnaround times are "long" they are a couple of weeks, very rarely more than that.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 03:16:47 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.