ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser xsw-d  (Read 1191 times)

jesseweiss

Sennheiser xsw-d
« on: December 02, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »

Anyone have any experience with battery powered wirelss mic systems like the Senn one? Xvive makes one as well.

We don't have any equipment racked/cased, so a typical system requires an additional AC spot and another box (receiver) to bring and keep somewhere.

Any thoughts or advice? Are we better off just getting a typical system and setting up a case for receviers?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:19:38 PM by jesseweiss »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Sennheiser xsw-d
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 07:12:11 PM »

I have no experience with the XSW-D, but check the specs more carefully.

It appears targetted specifically at the camera market, with a rechargeable Rx which has 3.5mm jack output.

From the sound of it, you do want the rechargeable Rx.  But be aware that it's another battery to monitor and ensure is charged for every show, which may or not work for you.  If you want it powered, you'll need to leave the USB charger plugged in.

The 3.5mm TRS output may bite.  There doesn't seem to be any spec for it, but I'd expect it to be a stereo 3.5mm plug if it's connecting into cameras, presumably running as a dual mono configuration.  Assuming you're plugging into a conventional XLR mic input, you'll need a 3.5mm TRS-> XLRM adapter lead.  Don't fall into the trap of getting a balanced TRS -> balanced XLRM adapter, though, as that'll bite you.  You need an adapter that takes one side of the TRS to an unbalanced XLRM.

All this could work, but I'd be going for a conventional wireless system.  It'll add reliability, as the Rx won't run out of charge mid-show.  And, if you buy a system that shows the Tx battery level on the Rx, you'll add even more reliability.

You don't mention what other kit you're using, but why not case the Rx in with it?  Racks and Cases are a burdensome cost, but protect your kit, give you fewer boxes to carry, and can reduce the cabling burden by leaving some kit permanently cabled.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »

I use the Sennheiser AVX stuff for rentals because I do a bunch of remote events where I need battery powered RX. AVX runs in the 1.9GHz band and I have have great results with it. USB rechargeable and easy for rentals because no programming. I have e935 capsules on mine so they sound great.

That being said, I've avoided the Senny XSW-D because it runs on the 2.4GHz band, with resulting random interference from wi-fi and WDMX.

I would not use battery powered RX unless absolutely necessary. I use 600MHz stuff for gigs where I'm doing the full production. Lectrosonics or Sennheiser G4.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.