ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Truss Bases  (Read 4006 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Truss Bases
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »

Yep, and I agree as well.  The 1x4s are useless for totems.  Size and wight aside the reason I like them for arches and whatnot is that they pack well with the rest of the trussing.  The 30x30 plates are generally the way to go for totems in the context of the discussion.  Seeing as Joel would only like to buy 1 model of plate, I can definitely concede that the 30x30 is more useful in a generic sense. 

The only caveat with the 30” plates is that when used with 12” box, you only really have an effective footprint increase of 9”.  For totems and small setups that’s usually okay, whereas for larger setups it makes me nervous.  The same 12” box on the 1’x4’ plate increases the footprint 18” in the front and back direction, which is generally adequate for most DJ/band arch and goalpost applications, indoors of course.  Just more food for thought!

We use only the 30" as noted provides space for ballast.  The aluminum plates are ok but we have some steel plates and they really are the way to go for stability.  I think they are 24x24.  If I had to carry them I may feel different but as Tim said that's why God made stagehands.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »

(snip)

The only caveat with the 30” plates is that when used with 12” box, you only really have an effective footprint increase of 9”.  For totems and small setups that’s usually okay, whereas for larger setups it makes me nervous.  The same 12” box on the 1’x4’ plate increases the footprint 18” in the front and back direction, which is generally adequate for most DJ/band arch and goalpost applications, indoors of course.  Just more food for thought!

If you want a wider footprint, use a Universal Junction Block (UJB) at the base of the uprights, and use truss segments as the outriggers/supports.  It isn't cheap to do, but it makes everything modular and multi-purpose.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »

If you want a wider footprint, use a Universal Junction Block (UJB) at the base of the uprights, and use truss segments as the outriggers/supports.  It isn't cheap to do, but it makes everything modular and multi-purpose.

Absolutely, and the T-junctions can work for this too.  I’m partial to the base with outriggers solution since it’s easier to level, but then you lose some of the repurposing capability too.  Lots of options here!

Joel T. Glaser

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »

Some great ideas guys. Much appreciated. But out riggers and such defeat what I'm try to accomplish. Namely: finding a setup that I can use (safely) on a small stage where every square inch is a premium. I have large crank stands that are very stable, but also take up large chunks of real estate.

I'd been considering either the 24" or 30" square bases. But just this afternoon I ran across a 26" x 39" heavy aluminium base from Cedarlink. I'll need a bit of offset from the wall anyway, to have room to mount lights on the i-beam truss. Plus, this base has multiple holes, so I have the option of moving the conical couplers, if need be.

I've researched sand bag options and will put something together to act as ballast if (when) needed. Using a pair of my 2 meter box truss should give me the strength I need to hold it all up and adding the 18" 90 degree corners on top will hopefully give me the height I need.  Guess I can always get some short pieces of truss if I find I need it taller.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. Really appreciate it! I'll try to post pictures when I get this all put together.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:25:32 PM by Joel T. Glaser »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 04:32:44 AM »

Awesome, glad to hear you found something that will work.  Regarding sandbags, I like to fill mine with pea gravel.  That way when one eventually pops a leak you’re not cleaning up a sandy mess or chasing down ball bearings or shot that’s rolling all over the place!  Happy that we could help!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

Awesome, glad to hear you found something that will work.  Regarding sandbags, I like to fill mine with pea gravel.  That way when one eventually pops a leak you’re not cleaning up a sandy mess or chasing down ball bearings or shot that’s rolling all over the place!  Happy that we could help!
Beat me to it.
Relatively in expensive empty bags are available on ebay.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.