ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New and trying to make simple lighting work with Mac and wireless DMX transmit  (Read 2533 times)

Don Hays

Hello all.  I've tried my best, but am just too new at this.  I have a Macbook Pro and would like to use it to run my lights (OPPSK LED 9 channel).  I used to use a DMX512 control board and wireless transmitter/receivers, but am adding a couple more lights and would like the control that some of the softwares get me.  I bought a very basic USB to DMX cable (no box) and followed the instructions to install the FTDIUSB Serial Driver.  I then plugged in my wireless transmitter to the USB to DMX cable and MaxOS seems to know the USB is there, but nothing seems to work.  When I go to Networks to look at the connection, I see a COM port set up but the connection indicator light is yellow, indicating no connection?  I see /dev/tty-usbserial-XXXXXX, but nothing I do seems to be going through that connection.  I direct connected a light to the cable to see if maybe it was the wireless transmitter, but that isn't working either.  Is what I am trying to do possible, or do I absolutely have to have an RDM interface?

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren

I use QLC+, a Macbook Pro, Entech Open DMX USB, and a iRig Blueboard.  In addition, I use Donner wireless rechargeable DMX plugs for the lights.  This is for my band, eliminates the need to run most cabling.  So far, all is working fine.  The QLC+ software is amazing and allows for most any light show imaginable!  MHO

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

Is what I am trying to do possible, or do I absolutely have to have an RDM interface?

Hi Don, no, you do not need to have an RDM-capable interface here, assuming that you’re referring to RDM in the lighting context (Remote Device Management).  I think you’re missing a piece in the puzzle though.  You will need to use some sort of DMX control software that is compatible with the interface you bought.  MagicQ PC is a popular choice that’s free and can run on Mac, but there are many.  What is the exact interface that you bought?  By itself, the interface won’t do anything.  Once you start the software it should be recognized and begin transmitting DMX, at which point it’s irrelevant if you hard-wire to your fixtures or use a wireless solution (though the wireless is just one more thing to go wrong).  Hope this helps!

Don Hays

Thank you for the reply Jeff.  Here is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6LNXF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB to DMX Interface Adapter LED DMX512 RS485 Converter Signal Level Computer PC Stage Lighting Controller Cable (6ft)

I missed it before, but in the description they have a link to a software called DMXControl - I will download that and see if I have any luck.  I will also try MagicQ.

Don Hays

Thank you for the reply Jeff.  Here is what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6LNXF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB to DMX Interface Adapter LED DMX512 RS485 Converter Signal Level Computer PC Stage Lighting Controller Cable (6ft)

I missed it before, but in the description they have a link to a software called DMXControl - I will download that and see if I have any luck.  I will also try MagicQ.

Alas, that software is for Windows.  I am jumping down a rabbit hole here.  Tried creating Virtual Box Windows environment, but so far no luck in getting it to work with DMXControl.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL

MagicQ PC will run on Mac, but I’m not sure if the interface you bought will.  The product page seems to favor DMXControl and Freestyler, but that product page is also very poorly written.  I’m a fan of the Enttec DMX-USB Pro interface.  It too will run on a Mac and with most non-proprietary lighting software.  I don’t mean to be critical, but oftentimes these very cheap interfaces with little documentation aren’t worth the time or effort to save a few dollars.  Best of luck though!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: New and trying to make simple lighting work with Mac and wireless DMX transmit
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.