ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen-Heath SQ AMM (Automixer), Not Ready For Prime Time  (Read 7162 times)

John Penkala

Allen-Heath SQ AMM (Automixer), Not Ready For Prime Time
« on: November 29, 2019, 11:37:47 PM »

I was very disappointed to learn that when using the AMM (Automixer) in "follows fader" mode (Post-Fader),  channels assigned to the automixer lose the ability to be PFL'd. The signal is only available AFL which is not very useful. Also, the input meters don't register until the faders are pushed up. I want to be able to look at the channel and see input metering and PFL the channel to check signal quality before the talent hits the stage not after. I did find a workaround but it was cumbersome. For now, I'm sticking with Yamaha CL/QL's.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Allen-Heath SQ AMM (Automixer), Not Ready For Prime Time
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 06:31:52 AM »

I have used the automix function on  QU16 and while it is no Dugan, it worked reasonably well.
My question is, how do you change it to follow fader mode?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Penkala

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 04:13:00 PM »

I have used the automix function on  QU16 and while it is no Dugan, it worked reasonably well.
My question is, how do you change it to follow fader mode?

On the SQ it is under the AMM>Setup>FollowFader(ON)

I know "Follow Fader" was added as part of a firmware update for the QU.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 07:31:30 AM »

Thanks.
i suspect this particular QU hasn't be firmware updated.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

I was wondering if anyone reading this that uses the AMM on an SQ mixer would be willing to try something on their setup.

If you are using at least 8 mics (all the same mics) like on a panel, I would be interested in how the AMM works for you. If you mute all of the other mics on the AMM and unmute and turn one up so you get the most gain you can just before feedback. Now back that mic down 1 or 2 dB. Be sure all of the channels are set exactly the same on all of the AMM channels. Gain and EQ especially and set it so it is follow fader to the AMM on those channels, if you don’t have it set that way already. Before you unmute the other AMM channels please check them one at a time, have someone talk into each channel unmuting them one at a time and then mute them again and do the same to the next mic till you have tested all of the mics. This is to make sure they all sound the same. Now slowly unmute all of the AMM mics until you have them all unmuted. But be careful in case at some point in this they start to feedback.

And please let me know how this worked for you.

If anyone using an automatic mic mixing system on another mixer and wants to try this and report your findings that would be of interest to me also.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 10:10:03 AM »

I was wondering if anyone reading this that uses the AMM on an SQ mixer would be willing to try something on their setup.

If you are using at least 8 mics (all the same mics) like on a panel, I would be interested in how the AMM works for you. If you mute all of the other mics on the AMM and unmute and turn one up so you get the most gain you can just before feedback. Now back that mic down 1 or 2 dB. Be sure all of the channels are set exactly the same on all of the AMM channels. Gain and EQ especially and set it so it is follow fader to the AMM on those channels, if you don’t have it set that way already. Before you unmute the other AMM channels please check them one at a time, have someone talk into each channel unmuting them one at a time and then mute them again and do the same to the next mic till you have tested all of the mics. This is to make sure they all sound the same. Now slowly unmute all of the AMM mics until you have them all unmuted. But be careful in case at some point in this they start to feedback.

If anyone using an automatic mic mixing system on another mixer and wants to try this and report your findings that would be of interest to me also.

I used the AMM on an SQ6 for a high-profile entertainment event.  It was a staged reading of a television script.  23 wireless with DPA 4066s on stage at the same time, with no chance for a sound check with the talent, no rehearsal and no script for me to follow. 
The AMM performed flawlessly.
I've also used the AMM on my Qu16 on many different events and it has also performed flawlessly.

So, based on my years of experience using the A&H AMM on their consoles, I disagree with the OP's opinion of it.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »

I used the AMM on an SQ6 for a high-profile entertainment event.  It was a staged reading of a television script.  23 wireless with DPA 4066s on stage at the same time, with no chance for a sound check with the talent, no rehearsal and no script for me to follow. 
I've also used the AMM on my Qu16 on many different events and it has also performed flawlessly.

So, based on my years of experience using the A&H AMM on their consoles, I disagree with the OP's opinion of it.

I appreciate your reply, but there is a reason I am asking for the test.What experience have you had with Auto-mixers besides what you have mentioned in your reply. I am not doubting that it worked well for you in these situations.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »

This is pretty much how I setup any automix and have had good results with the QU16 AMM function setting it up as you described.
I just find the Dugan to work a little better.

John Penkala

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »

Don't get me wrong, AMM worked well. It's not being able to PFL an AMM input that is a huge drawback.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »

It's not being able to PFL an AMM input that is a huge drawback.
I can see that could be a problem. Seems like a bit of an oversight on their part.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.