ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ADJ 12P Hex inconsistent LEDs  (Read 4207 times)

Dan Reavey

ADJ 12P Hex inconsistent LEDs
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:35:05 AM »

Hi
I use a pair of the above lights for my band and have noticed
that one of them has inconsistent LED brightness on a couple of colours.
The pic shows the UV colour which highlights the problem.
Half of the LEDs are much dimmer.

Most of the colours are even such as red, green, blue, white. Yellow also displays the inconsistent LED behaviour with half of them showing UV.

I understand that these lights have 6 colour LEDs hence the HEX.
Maybe half of them from the faulty light need to be replaced.
They're out of warranty though but can fix most things myself if parts are available.
Any help appreciated.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: ADJ 12P Hex inconsistent LEDs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »

Hi
I use a pair of the above lights for my band and have noticed
that one of them has inconsistent LED brightness on a couple of colours.
The pic shows the UV colour which highlights the problem.
Half of the LEDs are much dimmer.

Most of the colours are even such as red, green, blue, white. Yellow also displays the inconsistent LED behaviour with half of them showing UV.

I understand that these lights have 6 colour LEDs hence the HEX.
Maybe half of them from the faulty light need to be replaced.
They're out of warranty though but can fix most things myself if parts are available.
Any help appreciated.

Hi Dan, yep, it looks like something needs attention inside the fixture.  If you’re comfortable with basic electrical tools such as a multimeter and soldering iron these issues can often be found and repaired.  Sometimes the entire problem boils down to a bad solder joint or two.  If not, or if you just want to change out the faulty components you can purchase parts directly from American DJ here.  Of course should you go that route you’ll have to trade off the cost of repair vs replace, but it can certainly be done.  Good luck!

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »

Hi Dan, yep, it looks like something needs attention inside the fixture.  If you’re comfortable with basic electrical tools such as a multimeter and soldering iron these issues can often be found and repaired.  Sometimes the entire problem boils down to a bad solder joint or two.  If not, or if you just want to change out the faulty components you can purchase parts directly from American DJ here.  Of course should you go that route you’ll have to trade off the cost of repair vs replace, but it can certainly be done.  Good luck!

The plate with LEDs will be usually sold as an assembly.  Replacement is so simple a caveman could do it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »

The plate with LEDs will be usually sold as an assembly.  Replacement is so simple a caveman could do it.

Yep, it’s available for sale at the parts link I shared, but at $133.50 it begs the question as to whether repair or replace is the better option... 

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 11:40:11 AM »

Yep, it’s available for sale at the parts link I shared, but at $133.50 it begs the question as to whether repair or replace is the better option...

I would repair.  It will take under 1/2 hr to fix both.  Do one complete or at least everything but the front cover.  The 2nd will take less than half the time of the 1st. 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »

Open them up and have a look, I have seen the same problem caused by a partially unseated wire connector.

Dan Reavey

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »

Thanks very much for the replies. Much appreciated.
Didn’t even consider taking the light apart and thought the only option would be to send it to ADJ.
I’ll have a look to see if it’s anything obvious like a loose connector or something. Maybe the LEDs are on two separate boards but it’s strange that it seems to be only one colour from six of them that’s down on brightness.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »

Maybe the LEDs are on two separate boards but it’s strange that it seems to be only one colour from six of them that’s down on brightness.

Symptoms like this usually end up being caused by a defect in the circuitry somewhere - either a loose jumper, bad solder joint, or a faulty component.  Once anything obvious is ruled out, using a multimeter and following the circuit traces on the PCB can often help you figure out where exactly the problem is.  I’d pay very close attention to where the LEDs go from “good” to “bad”.  Good luck!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »

I've seen this happen a lot on Chauvet LED PAR64 TRI-B fixtures and seems to affect only the green LEDs. There are two strings of six LEDs; each string has six LEDs in series, so if one LED goes bad, the other five go out or are dim. You can check the individual LEDs with a multimeter to find the bad one; sometimes just putting pressure on each one will turn the string on. The most difficult part is removing the LED and getting the replacement soldered back on centered under its lens. Certainly doable with some patience if you can buy the individual replacement LEDs.
Scott Hofmann

Dan Reavey

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 05:55:08 AM »

I've seen this happen a lot on Chauvet LED PAR64 TRI-B fixtures and seems to affect only the green LEDs. There are two strings of six LEDs; each string has six LEDs in series, so if one LED goes bad, the other five go out or are dim. You can check the individual LEDs with a multimeter to find the bad one; sometimes just putting pressure on each one will turn the string on. The most difficult part is removing the LED and getting the replacement soldered back on centered under its lens. Certainly doable with some patience if you can buy the individual replacement LEDs.

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 05:55:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.