Poll

I don't know how to remove this poll thing

- 1 (33.3%)
- 1 (33.3%)
- 0 (0%)
- 1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX512 Problems  (Read 3972 times)

Lucas Smith

Re: DMX512 Problems
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »

Lucas, try setting all of your matching lights to the same starting dmx address. With the same address and inputs, they should all do the same thing at the same time. If they don't, there is a problem with one or more of the lights not passing a dmx signal through the fixture on to the next fixture.

Just tried that, got the exact same problem as soon as I plugged in the second fixture (1st light working and cables all working and the light plugging into works aswell when its just that one plugged into the controller) the first light stopped blinking red at the back and went black as well as the second one even though I have some of the dimmers up which were working on the first light.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »

Just tried that, got the exact same problem as soon as I plugged in the second fixture (1st light working and cables all working and the light plugging into works aswell when its just that one plugged into the controller) the first light stopped blinking red at the back and went black as well as the second one even though I have some of the dimmers up which were working on the first light.

Did you try a different unit as #1 in the series?  I assume each light is correctly powered from the mains service.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »

Along the lines of what Mark is helping you to single out, I think one (or more) fixtures isn’t passing through clean DMX.  I’m going to go out on a slight limb and say one of two things is going on. 

- An electrical problem (stray voltage leaching into the DMX circuit or ground), or

- A fixture still thinking it’s in Master/Slave mode and acting accordingly, trying to control the other fixtures in the daisy chain. 

As annoying as it will sound, getting some tape and markers to label every fixture and playing with the different combinations is the most straightforward way to find the bad light short of having diagnostic equipment.  Hope this helps!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 06:06:34 PM »

I'm going to suggest you put all fixtures in slave mode and if they can be set to have a different number of control channels.. 3ch or 5ch for an RGB fixture for example, set them to the lowest number so that you just have intensity control for each color. 
Often fixtures like this will automatically switch to master/slave mode and ignore the controller when 2 or more are linked together unless all are set to slave.

Lucas Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »

I'm going to suggest you put all fixtures in slave mode and if they can be set to have a different number of control channels.. 3ch or 5ch for an RGB fixture for example, set them to the lowest number so that you just have intensity control for each color. 
Often fixtures like this will automatically switch to master/slave mode and ignore the controller when 2 or more are linked together unless all are set to slave.

Unfortunately these lights dont have a option where you can control the number of channels it is using. But just now I got three of them to work though. I think the problem is because some fog liquid spilled onto the lights and I cleaned them but maybe it is messing with the signals?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »

I think the problem is because some fog liquid spilled onto the lights and I cleaned them but maybe it is messing with the signals?

I can promise that fog fluid in the lights definitely won’t be doing you any favors!  My vote is still that you have an electrical problem in at least one of the fixtures somewhere (fog fluid induced or not).  At least you got three of them working!  Honestly though, these fixtures are, what, $10 each?  Mileage with these types of units vary greatly.  It might be worth your while to spend a bit more and get something more standard and reliable.  It’s just a question of what it’s worth to you.  Glad you’re making progress though!

Lucas Smith

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »

I can promise that fog fluid in the lights definitely won’t be doing you any favors!  My vote is still that you have an electrical problem in at least one of the fixtures somewhere (fog fluid induced or not).  At least you got three of them working!  Honestly though, these fixtures are, what, $10 each?  Mileage with these types of units vary greatly.  It might be worth your while to spend a bit more and get something more standard and reliable.  It’s just a question of what it’s worth to you.  Glad you’re making progress though!

Yes I might open them up and see if there is any damage or liquid still there!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

Unfortunately these lights dont have a option where you can control the number of channels it is using.
What about setting master slave mode? Your success rate will be nothing but random until all fixtures are in slave mode, then they will work perfectly every time... assuming there are no internal electrical problems. I find the soldering quality inside really cheap fixtures can be pretty terrible sometimes, easy fix though if you are at all handy with circuit board sized soldering iron.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.