ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES50 signal crosstalk?  (Read 1134 times)

Douglas R. Allen

AES50 signal crosstalk?
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:24:31 AM »

This may seem like a simple question to some but I didn't know so I thought I would ask here. I was reading where a person had a X32 Compact and a SD16 stage box. When he put a signal into channels 7 and 8 a very low level signal of these would also show up on 15 and 16 . Nothing plugged into 15/16 at the stage box. It was mention that he could be having some cross talk in the cat snake. Is this even possible? Could there be another reason?

Thanks for any input;
    Douglas R. Allen

Daniel Levi

Re: AES50 signal crosstalk?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 07:10:11 AM »

I can't see how that is possible as AES50 only uses 2 pairs in each direction for the audio data in what I assume is a balanced configuration (data + and data -) the other pairs are used for sync (in both directions, 1 pair per for transmit and 1 pair for receive). So the only place input crosstalk could happen is in the analogue stages, either at the stagebox or console (local inputs/outputs).

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/uk/Conf2011/Presentation_PDFs/07%20-%20Al%20Walker%20-%20Applications%20in%20Live%20Convert%20Sound.pdf

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »

It is impossible to have this happen with aes50.

Without looking at a snapshot if his scene it is impossible to see if it is a user error or if the analog circuitry in the stagebox has taken a hit of some sort.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »

Yeah, this sounds like either a routing error or an internal issue with the stagebox/mixer itself.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »

No.  The AES50 cable is a digital signal.  Crosstalk cannot happen on a digital signal the way it does with analog signals.  If there is any crosstalk, the result is disruption in the digital signal, and you'll either get horrible digital noise or pops, or signal drop completely.  You'll never end up with just some bleed in of the signal.  Digital doesn't work that way.
Brian Jojade

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »

This may seem like a simple question to some but I didn't know so I thought I would ask here. I was reading where a person had a X32 Compact and a SD16 stage box. When he put a signal into channels 7 and 8 a very low level signal of these would also show up on 15 and 16 . Nothing plugged into 15/16 at the stage box. It was mention that he could be having some cross talk in the cat snake. Is this even possible? Could there be another reason?

Thanks for any input;
    Douglas R. Allen

Thanks everyone. My thought was No as well but I wanted to confirm it here to be sure. I couldn't think of anyway it could be possible but as they say "If you don't know , ask"

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.