ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple bluetooth receivers  (Read 3310 times)

Brian Bugler

Multiple bluetooth receivers
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:18 AM »

Hi all,
My name is Brian, I am a AV University Technician in an Irish University and new to this forum.
I am currently designing the AV for a new Dental School and Hospital and I have been asked to install a wireless audio solution into approximately 20 surgeries.
The end user wants to be able to walk into a surgery and connect their phone via bluetooth to a speaker in that room. The problem I have is that there are clusters of 5 surgeries next to each other and I cannot envisage a bluetooth solution working due to proximity issues (unless I used five different bluetooth products! - obviously I don't want to do this).

My understanding is that it is very difficult to re-name the bluetooth identifying name of a device, I did find one product - (Optimal speaker Design XWB50) which has a pairing button but without testing I am not sure if this will work with multiple devices in close proximity, I have enquired with OSD with this question.
In the meantime if anyone in this forum has rolled out a similar solution or knows the solution it would be great to hear from you!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Multiple bluetooth receivers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:40:22 PM »

I installed around fifteen of these in an office environment a several years ago.  Added a couple of 15vdc Altronix power supplies in the data room to clean the install up.  Worked fine at the time and have not had a service call since then.  So there's that...

https://www.kbsound.com/products/in-wall-bluetooth-audio-receiver-5
This space for rent

Daniel Levi

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 01:37:47 AM »

We have many caravans at work with a KB sound Bluetooth system and we have had no problems operating multiples of them in relatively close proximity. Plus they all have a unique Bluetooth name (i.e. KINGBT-2805, with 2805 being the unique identifier).

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 02:34:55 AM »

We have many caravans at work with a KB sound Bluetooth system and we have had no problems operating multiples of them in relatively close proximity. Plus they all have a unique Bluetooth name (i.e. KINGBT-2805, with 2805 being the unique identifier).
Since BT pairs device to device, it should be fine.
The only issue could be that the 'phone' could see several speakers, so you would have to be able to identify the specific speaker.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 05:49:55 AM »

Since BT pairs device to device, it should be fine.
The only issue could be that the 'phone' could see several speakers, so you would have to be able to identify the specific speaker.

The unique id is on a sticker on the front of the wall box so easy to get the right speaker.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 08:22:20 AM »

While were talking about Bluetooth, what about security against unwanted pairing?
I know some receivers come with a standard somewhat generic code and on the units
I have worked with that code can not be changed.

Is there a receiver that allows the user to input a security code and will force the pairing device to use that code?

As a bonus the receiver has the range to cover a school gym!

Right now at a school install I'm using a Denon media player unit with an external Bluetooth antenna that has the receiving range but no security to speak of.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:24:13 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »

The UNBT2A from Atterotech is a bluetooth remote box that has a programmable name. They work well; might be worth looking at. Not cheap, though.

James Thomas

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

Hi all,
My name is Brian, I am a AV University Technician in an Irish University and new to this forum.
I am currently designing the AV for a new Dental School and Hospital and I have been asked to install a wireless audio solution into approximately 20 surgeries.
The end user wants to be able to walk into a surgery and connect their phone via bluetooth to a speaker in that room. The problem I have is that there are clusters of 5 surgeries next to each other and I cannot envisage a bluetooth solution working due to proximity issues (unless I used five different bluetooth products! - obviously I don't want to do this).

My understanding is that it is very difficult to re-name the bluetooth identifying name of a device, I did find one product - (Optimal speaker Design XWB50) which has a pairing button but without testing I am not sure if this will work with multiple devices in close proximity, I have enquired with OSD with this question.
In the meantime if anyone in this forum has rolled out a similar solution or knows the solution it would be great to hear from you!

I know I am replying very late but this might help some one who is facing the same issue.
Try Raptor Supplies They have multiple options.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:33:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.