ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SVIDEO for TV  (Read 6079 times)

Bob Miller

SVIDEO for TV
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »

In our church, we use a 100-150 ft SVIDEO cable to feed a TV in the front of our church. This is used for worship/sermons. Is SVIDEO appropriate for our use? If not what is? Thanks.

Aaron McQueen

Re: SVIDEO for TV
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »

Does it work?  Are you having problems?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Where is the S-Video feed coming from?
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God - Romans 10:17 NKJV

Bob Miller

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 01:38:26 PM »

There is a color difference. It is hooked to a computer. Slight quality loss.

Bob Miller

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:59:25 PM »

Any oppinions? I heard VGA, but we use a TV, not projector.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »

What is the color difference?  Is it to the extreme of Red = Green or just the color shades.  S-Video has 4 connections:

1   GND   Ground (Y)
2   GND   Ground (C)
3   Y   Intensity (Luminance)
4   C   Color (Chrominance)

Also try adjusting the color setting on the TV.  What are you comparing the color difference to?  If it's an LCD monitor, you will probably have hard time getting the TV to match.

As for the quality loss, the TV with S-Video is always going to look worse than the Computer monitor with a VGA input.  After a few Google searches it seems the max recommended length of a S-Video cable is 50ft.  If you want the same quality use a computer monitor at the stage and run a VGA cable.  Althought you are probably exceeding the limits of this also.  You may want to look into some type of amplification.  Make sure you put it on the computer side.  I just installed a new projector in our church and the previous install had the amplifier on the projector end of a 100ft cable.

Bob Miller

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 02:07:51 PM »

The problem with the monitor idea is that the TV is a 52" projection TV. So, replacing it with a monitor would cost ~$10000. I'd buy a projector before that.

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 02:25:42 PM »

I see, I thought you were using it as a video monitor for words for the people on the stage.  So you are using it for the congregation.  If this is the case, sell the TV and get a projector.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you and everyone else will be much happier.  In the mean time, S-Video sounds like your only option.  Try to get an S-Video amplifier.  I would suggest a a Kramer 103YC.  While I have not used this product, I have had success with other Kramer products.

StJohn Gill II

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »

If you are getting actual 'ghosting' (slight double image in white)and it is an important screen, you could try splitting the cable in 2 and putting a video aplifier or rectifier in the middle, it will boost the signal and improve the cable. also if you can manage it (TV end and Send end) try high quality RGB cabling. Only 3 BNC plugs (vs all the pins that could cause problems of VGA), longer runs and heavier duty + more reliable plugs. All long distance professional runs are RGB.

Bob.Witte

• http://www,cascadingwatersaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »

At our Church we run 100' S video using the Kramer 103YC to a Projector. Also used good quality cable (Extron I believe). This works great.

Am putting together another system, but this time will be using a Kramer VP-719DS ProScale 7 - Seamless Switchers / Scaler. This way I only have to run one VGA type cable to the Projector.

Bob
Cascading Waters Audio
cascadingwatersaudio.com
blog.cascadingwatersaudio.com

Austin Parker

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:35:14 PM »

If high quality video is the goal for you and your viewers, then you should be using RGBHV (Red, Green, Blue with Horizontal and Vertical sync) This is usually accomplished with high shield strand count cable and BNC connectors. The high strand count with allow for the lowest amount of interference in the cable.
Austin Parker
Installer of Audio/Video/Control Systems
Moon light as an Acoustics Engineer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:35:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.