ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for those familiar with Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro FBQ2496  (Read 3950 times)

Steve Hanis

If I use 12 "one shot" filters and let the other 8 fill automatically (using  side A only), does the Feedback Destroyer stop "seeking" feedback once the LED's indicate all filter slots are in use without using the "Filter Lift" function or does it continue to seek for feedback and recycle existing filters?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Question for those familiar with Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro FBQ2496
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:04:51 PM »

I think it will cycle the filters. So it will replace the oldest filter with a new one that is centered on a new feedback frequency. BUT, I am not a fan of feedback destroyer units. While they do work to a degree, they really are not a set and forget device. Most of the issue I have with them is that most users abuse them. It is more prudent to limit the number of cust it can make to as few a number as possible. If it is trying to cut all 10-12 possible filters, it starts going backward instead of forward. Too much of a good thing is still too much.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 11:10:47 PM »

+1 for Luke's post.  I have used the Feedback Destroyers and find that there are just too many filter bands.  Depending on the situation, 4 - 6 "single shot" filters and maybe 2 "roving" filters are usually enough.  More that that and the filters start eating up the sound.  If its a fixed installation with mics that don't change position, running "single shot" and changing to fixed filters works pretty in catching the room mode problems, but again limit the number of filters.  Because all the filters can be set to parametric mode they make a reasonably good tool to work with FFT measurement systems for room tuning.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 11:48:30 PM »

I used a "Feedback Destroyer" that I later called the gig destroyer.  Part was on my setup of the unit (I'm *sure* I locked those filters, but....) and part was simply having the wrong speaker system deployment for the room.  Since that embarrassing day I have used such devices once or twice, but in the parametric mode Don Williams mentions.

A hotel installation used Shure DFR for ballroom/salon processing.  The feedback killer eventually made the systems sound awful and they still fed back.  Last time I was in that space I noted the DFRs were removed from service.

These things are band aids when you might just have a sucking chest wound or arterial spurting.  If successful operation of this system depends on this device, you've got other problems.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:03:36 AM »

So... I a, a dedicated Soundcraft UI-24 guy.  DBX AFS on board.  Last season, I employed it in ringing out my monitors.  I pushed the volume until it clamped and clamped again...  through 6 iterations.  I read the results and let them guide my starting monitor EQ's and turned off the AFS.  For me, that was a fast, efficient way to get to high gain before feedback.  AFS is a tool among tools to be used appropriately
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Hanis

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »

Sorry for not describing the scene. The set up is for a children's church play, 9 wireless packs with 4 head mics 5 lavs on 10 year old kids in a large sanctuary. There's not 31 band EQ available, but each channel of a Crest HP-8 has a modest parametric EQ with a fixed Q. We didn't get the FBD to work miracles, it does help, we just want to use it to it to its fullest potential.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »

Sorry for not describing the scene. The set up is for a children's church play, 9 wireless packs with 4 head mics 5 lavs on 10 year old kids in a large sanctuary. There's not 31 band EQ available, but each channel of a Crest HP-8 has a modest parametric EQ with a fixed Q. We didn't get the FBD to work miracles, it does help, we just want to use it to it to its fullest potential.

There we have it. Good luck with the show.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »

Buy a used outboard equalizer. With digital boards the norm, people are practically giving outboard gear away these days.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »

One more comment on "feedback destroyers" in general and outboard equalizers.  I don't dislike 1/3 octave graphics, but as tools for "getting rid of feedback" they are limited.  Many (maybe most) 1/3 octave graphic EQs have filters that are one or more octaves wide.  Yes they are on 1/3 octave centers, but just a few large cuts can take out a huge amount of the audio spectrum.  The "feedback destroyers" usually have very narrow filters when used in that mode.  1/3 octave graphics are fine for tone shaping, and they are fast to use, but a properly used feedback filter can get very good results.  For the small shows I use a Touchmix 16 on, I find the QSC feedback finder function (I forget what they call it) works quickly and does a good job.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 06:02:54 PM »

One more comment on "feedback destroyers" in general and outboard equalizers.  I don't dislike 1/3 octave graphics, but as tools for "getting rid of feedback" they are limited.  Many (maybe most) 1/3 octave graphic EQs have filters that are one or more octaves wide.  Yes they are on 1/3 octave centers, but just a few large cuts can take out a huge amount of the audio spectrum.  The "feedback destroyers" usually have very narrow filters when used in that mode.  1/3 octave graphics are fine for tone shaping, and they are fast to use, but a properly used feedback filter can get very good results.  For the small shows I use a Touchmix 16 on, I find the QSC feedback finder function (I forget what they call it) works quickly and does a good job.

Behringer warns the user not to use them on pianos because of the length of sound decay, and the strong overtones, I suspect.  Sure enough, the first (and only) time I used one, a piano was involved.  It was a real pity to what it did to the sound.  The unit did not quite make it through soundcheck, and has not seen the light of day since (or night lights, for that matter).

Now, I have used the "bouncing ball" of the A&H QU series graph and PAFL meters, but they are guidance only, not actually setting filters. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 06:02:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.