ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Axient Digital X55 Band [941MHz-960MHz]  (Read 14863 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Shure Axient Digital X55 Band [941MHz-960MHz]
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »

Okay, i've got my first gig coming up with Digital Axient in the X55 band.  It's been a long time since i worked with anything this high up in the frequency band, and the stuff i did use was old Line6 stuff with very limited capability.

So, anything to watch out for or is this just Digital Axient "business as usual"?

tia
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Shure Axient Digital X55 Band [941MHz-960MHz]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »

I try and do a whitespace estimate for my area before the show just to see, but generally, if you are in a legal band, the issues should be little to nonexistent. WWB also allows you to put in your zip code and it will block out the respective TV channels known ( at the time of the update ) to that area. If you ware running with full Axient ( auto switching ) I wouldn't worry too much. All I can say is that I LOVE the new Axient stuff. Nothing better than being able to change anything I need to on the fly, let alone the auto channel switching.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »

Okay, i've got my first gig coming up with Digital Axient in the X55 band.  It's been a long time since i worked with anything this high up in the frequency band, and the stuff i did use was old Line6 stuff with very limited capability.

So, anything to watch out for or is this just Digital Axient "business as usual"?

tia

You MUST be Part 74 licensed to operate X55.  No exceptions.

You MUST, absolutely MUST, do an FCC ULS geographic search for your operating location and frequency range (I suggest a 5 mile radius and examine each licensee's map for TX vs. RX stations.  Avoid all RX within 5 mi and all freqs with P2P paths crossing within 1 mi of your location), and calculate your freqs to avoid each primary licensee's carriers, with appropriate channel freq spacings per emission designator.

Then you MUST, absolutely MUST contact the local SBE freq coordinator and request coordination approval for your freqs.  I suggest 1 week in advance.  Then, when you get on site, do a scan and add any newly found carriers to your coordination math, then do it all again and beg "Mia culpa" if you require an amended coord request.

brian maddox

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »

You MUST be Part 74 licensed to operate X55.  No exceptions.

You MUST, absolutely MUST, do an FCC ULS geographic search for your operating location and frequency range (I suggest a 5 mile radius and examine each licensee's map for TX vs. RX stations.  Avoid all RX within 5 mi and all freqs with P2P paths crossing within 1 mi of your location), and calculate your freqs to avoid each primary licensee's carriers, with appropriate channel freq spacings per emission designator.

Then you MUST, absolutely MUST contact the local SBE freq coordinator and request coordination approval for your freqs.  I suggest 1 week in advance.  Then, when you get on site, do a scan and add any newly found carriers to your coordination math, then do it all again and beg "Mia culpa" if you require an amended coord request.

So, is there anything i MUST do?  :)

Good news is, i'm not actually doing the Frequency Coordination on this gig and my confidence in those that are doing the coordination is quite high so i have every reason to believe that all of your musts are already being followed. My role on this is largely RF QC with a little Frequency Rules Enforcement  thrown in [there will be press so there will likely be....  issues].  This is an annual gig with a very good crew of folks working on things, So i have every reason to believe things are gonna be well sorted before i even get there.  I was mostly looking for any practical advice that might be different than the typical "TV band" stuff i'm used to using.  Antenna placement differences, antenna cabling differences or any particular gotchas to look out for.  I'm mixing these with a pile of UHFRs and PSM1000s, which wouldn't be my first choice.  But i've got independent antenna rigs for each "family" of things [Axient, UHFR/analog, PSM] and i'm working outside, so that simplifies some things as well.

This is all still absolutely great info to have though, so thank you for that.  I do have to ask, of these MUST recommendations, which would NOT usually apply to a typical 470-630 gig?  I'm still trying to get a firm grip on things in our new FCC reality.  Plus, knowledge is power.

Thanks for the help!

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »

I do have to ask, of these MUST recommendations, which would NOT usually apply to a typical 470-630 gig?  I'm still trying to get a firm grip on things in our new FCC reality.  Plus, knowledge is power.

Thanks for the help!

The SBE coordination requirements aren't necessary for TV band operations.

If one were to inadvertently interfere with TV band operations in VHF or UHF, a 250 mW part 74 TX might cause problems for a few dozen viewers.  If one interferes with 941-960 MHz ops, it can take an entire station off the air for 100k+ viewers/listeners or interrupt data connections for an entire region.  Very, very serious stuff.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »

I try and do a whitespace estimate for my area before the show just to see, but generally, if you are in a legal band, the issues should be little to nonexistent. WWB also allows you to put in your zip code and it will block out the respective TV channels known ( at the time of the update ) to that area.

Not relevant to the [expanded] STL band.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

brian maddox

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »

If one were to inadvertently interfere with TV band operations in VHF or UHF, a 250 mW part 74 TX might cause problems for a few dozen viewers.  If one interferes with 941-960 MHz ops, it can take an entire station off the air for 100k+ viewers/listeners or interrupt data connections for an entire region.  Very, very serious stuff.

I feel like that would make people unhappy. A LOT of people.  As an A1 i have learned that making a LOT of people unhappy is undesirable.  Makes sense that that would also carry over to RF tech.  :)

Great info.  Thanks again!

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

I feel like that would make people unhappy. A LOT of people.  As an A1 i have learned that making a LOT of people unhappy is undesirable.  Makes sense that that would also carry over to RF tech.  :)

Great info.  Thanks again!

Don't assume that your event frequency coordinator knows these details, and for the love of God don't assume that someone else's license covers your X55 ops.

The person who transmits the signal is the operator and is ultimately responsible [you (or the company directly employing you)], and requires an appropriate call sign.

Ask your RF coordinator to copy you on all SBE emails and raise Hell if you don't personally see a specific approval before you transmit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:09:11 PM by Jason Glass »

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:06 PM »

Don't assume that your event frequency coordinator knows these details, and for the love of God don't assume that someone else's license covers your X55 ops.

The person who transmits the signal is the operator and is ultimately responsible [you (or the company directly employing you)], and requires an appropriate call sign.

Ask your RF coordinator to copy you on all SBE emails and raise Hell if you don't personally see a specific approval before you transmit.

Trust, but verify.  Always a good policy.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:27 AM »

Including if I recall quite a bit of medical telemetry gear operates in that region.  You could wipe out a nearby hospital wireless cardiac monitors.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 03:22:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.