ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: A1’s what is your preferred desk for Corp w/token band gig  (Read 9894 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: A1’s what is your preferred desk for Corp w/token band gig
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

I bet your were the older brother who also got his younger brothers to test the 9V batteries by touching them to their tongues, too. Weren’t you?

I am the oldest brother  :) but I liked to test the 9v batteries to the tongue myself.

I was doing a show in a HS just 2 weeks ago and I asked one of the kids to throw out some used 9v batteries that I had been using in a headphone amp and before throwing them out he was testing them with his tongue and he said they felt like they had plenty of power left in them. He thought he was getting zapped pretty good and he kept doing it. So I pulled out the meter and measured them and they were down at about 7.5v. He wouldn't stop tasting them and I had to tell him to just throw them out.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »

I don't know the specifics of your gig obviously, but i do know one general rule wrt corporate gigs.  If you have an equipment failure, using industry standard equipment is your "get out of jail free" card.  This isn't intended to be a comment about the X32.  I've done a LOT of high profile shows with them with great results.  But if that X32 fails on a show [and ANYTHING can fail, even an SM58] you're gonna have a lot of explaining to do.  If your CL5/QL5 fails, you'll likely survive with your reputation intact.  If you're lucky you might even keep the client.

This. I've had a Yammie fail on me (my colleague actually, but I was on the same job) only once during a show. Many years ago. Our by far biggest client who makes events for corporate and private market. This was for an event for our clients' clients. Relations.. Sort of worst timing for an equipment failure... A few small acts, dinner etc in the finest hotel in town. A 01v failed twice. A few days later we got called up to the clients office for a debrief and what we would expect would be a butchering. When they asked what kind of board it was, we said it was a Yammie and a little bla bla, and they didn't go further into that route about thinking we brought in "cheapo" equipment for a high end job. They accepted it as a one in a billion incident.

John L Nobile

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:03 PM »

I am the oldest brother  :) but I liked to test the 9v batteries to the tongue myself.

I was doing a show in a HS just 2 weeks ago and I asked one of the kids to throw out some used 9v batteries that I had been using in a headphone amp and before throwing them out he was testing them with his tongue and he said they felt like they had plenty of power left in them. He thought he was getting zapped pretty good and he kept doing it. So I pulled out the meter and measured them and they were down at about 7.5v. He wouldn't stop tasting them and I had to tell him to just throw them out.

Maybe he got a cheap high? Drugs are so expensive when you're in high school.
I hate the taste of a 9V

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 11:08:54 PM »

Maybe he got a cheap high? Drugs are so expensive when you're in high school.
I hate the taste of a 9V

I was basically kidding, I don't like the taste of it but I don't trust another persons interpretation of how much power there is in the 9v. I actually thought that it would have been stone dead. I always eventually meter them but might do the taste test to see if it is completely dead. But this kid was worrying me, he just kept doing it over and over and saying how strong the battery that was. But it was dead enough to turn off the headphone amp. I was using the Monitor out of 2 Midas M32 consoles into the headphone amp so I could solo channels on either console thru my headphones. And the 9v batteries were actually used ones from a meeting room that uses them for one event and then puts them aside.

John P. Farrell

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 10:57:07 AM »

And the 9v batteries were actually used ones from a meeting room that uses them for one event and then puts them aside.

I'm more curious where you found a rig that still uses 9v?!?  lol!  High school kids do weird things.  I've done my fair share of teaching them to run rigs for musicals and while some really get it and are interested, the rest are there basically to have social hour.  The ones that get it are a oy to share knowledge with.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »

I'm more curious where you found a rig that still uses 9v?!?  lol!  High school kids do weird things.  I've done my fair share of teaching them to run rigs for musicals and while some really get it and are interested, the rest are there basically to have social hour.  The ones that get it are a oy to share knowledge with.

JF

About 10 years ago I was brought in to be the ghost audio dept for a musical at a private high school.  Fine, I'm paid by the hour and the TD - a school employee - is an old friend who has put on a show or 3.  When I needed help in the booth I got one of the 2 assistant LX, and these girls were a delight to work with.  They paid attention, they understood or asked clarifying questions, and generally "got it" when it came to theater.  The student credited in the program as sound designer showed up at dress rehearsal.  I was told he'd been at rehearsals but I had no recollection of him and whatever he might have done had nothing to do with audio.  The girls and I mixed the rehearsals and performances.  The "designer" watched us during dress and performances.  I told him to observe us creating a sound design as he had not done so.  The director later scolded me and I was not invited back.  :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 09:42:17 PM »

The "designer" watched us during dress and performances.  I told him to observe us creating a sound design as he had not done so.  The director later scolded me and I was not invited back.  :D

The kid was probably related to the director.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:51 PM »

QL/CL (PM if you’re lucky) all day for corporate / multi-role. Best auto mixer w/o waves server, Shure wireless integration, Dante workflow, greatest familiarity amongst corporate engineers and wide availability for rental.... Yamaha is my pick for this.

Granted, some of the restrictions between QL/CL and lack of refresh for stuff like 128 channel cards are frustrating.

Carl Stewart

• CS Productions
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »

I still see a lot of Yamaha LS9's in use here in Orlando, but my personal favorite is the TF.  I own a TF5, and I'm very pleased with it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber