ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless access point recommendations?  (Read 1605 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Wireless access point recommendations?
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:56:48 AM »

Need a high performance access point for use in venues that range from 500 to about 2500+ waterbags with their cell phones all on mucking things up.  Venues range from about 100' long x 60' wide to 175' long by 120' wide. 

I obviously need to be able to hide the network. 

Network will be used for various devices, multiple tablets for at least two mixing consoles, a lighting console, two laptops, wireless workbench, etc.  Yes, we have reasons for wanting all devices on one network rather than a separate network on stage versus at foh.  Antenna would be in monitor world.

I don't need Internet access through this network.

I've been looking through the Ubuquiti Networks website but it's all spy talk to me.  Can anyone give me some recommendations based on real life use.

Thanks, Ryan

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Wireless access point recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »

Need a high performance access point for use in venues that range from 500 to about 2500+ waterbags with their cell phones all on mucking things up.  Venues range from about 100' long x 60' wide to 175' long by 120' wide. 

Network will be used for various devices, multiple tablets for at least two mixing consoles, a lighting console, two laptops, wireless workbench, etc.  Yes, we have reasons for wanting all devices on one network rather than a separate network on stage versus at foh.  Antenna would be in monitor world.

I've been looking through the Ubuquiti Networks website but it's all spy talk to me.  Can anyone give me some recommendations based on real life use.

Thanks, Ryan

Have you tried a search? This comes up nearly every...single....week.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »

I've been looking through the Ubiquiti Networks website but it's all spy talk to me.  Can anyone give me some recommendations based on real life use.

Thanks, Ryan

I like the Unifi's though Ubiquity has been pissing me off with lousy updates for models only a generation or two old.  I just tried some Microtik CAP AC's and they seem to work very well.  They support DHCP which is handy for production.

No which AP you choose you must get them above the bags of water.  Line of sight is critical.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »

I’m waiting for my delivery of the UAP AC M US, which is a small AP with external antennas that I can potentially mount on a mic stand or some other device that’s already high up. I’m coming from a crappy linksys router that I’m gonna disable the wireless and just use that as a DHCP server.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:41:37 PM »

Yes, we have reasons for wanting all devices on one network rather than a separate network on stage versus at foh.  Antenna would be in monitor world.

General rule of thumb for WIFI is absolute maximum workable range indoors is 150 feet.  Once you put people in the room, expect that number to shrink.  For reliable operation, I try to make sure I'm within 75' of any access point as a worst case scenario.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that the further you get from the access point, the slower it runs.  While you may still have signal, the added latency and speed reduction could make or break the show.

If you can run a cat 5 cable to FOH, you can put access points at both ends.  Give them the same WAP name and password and tie them to the same network and you should have better coverage.  They still will all be on the same network, and devices can communicate as though they are on the same access point.
Brian Jojade

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »

I like the Unifi's though Ubiquity has been pissing me off with lousy updates for models only a generation or two old.
Have you tried flashing your Ubiquitis with DD-WRT? (Not sure if your specific model is supported) I find that firmware WAY easier to configure and adds additional features not found in the stock firmware. You won't have features like AirMax, but I have no need for that.
Brought my 2 NanoStations back to life, after sitting on a shelf for a long time. They're my favourite AP's now.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.