ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Non ios DMX Software.  (Read 3804 times)

John Simoson

Non ios DMX Software.
« on: November 20, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »

It seems that Luminair is the go to for all you "Do it yourselfers" out there.

I use Android mostly.  I run my XR18 with Mixing Station Pro (Bar band) and would like to run about 10 Slimpar 64's and 6 moving heads via tablet.  I bought a DMXking 3 pin to ethernet and have it all connected to my router.  Everything ready to go.  I tried Vibrio and Proton (sp?) and Stage Light demo's.  Hard to tell without a full version how these will be.  I'd rather not drop $100 on Luminair and use another tablet without having any idea if Luminair is better than the 3 I tried.

Have I missed any android based lighting apps that are good?

Thanks all.

Taylor Hall

Re: Non ios DMX Software.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »

Not android based, but QLC+ can be controlled via a web browser. Only catch is that you need a PC/laptop/pi to run the software.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

John Simoson

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »

Not android based, but QLC+ can be controlled via a web browser. Only catch is that you need a PC/laptop/pi to run the software.

Possibly work with a Windows 10 tablet?

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »

What about using some PC based application (Showbuddy Active, LightJams) and TouchOSC or the incredibly powerful Lemur (Although I think Lemur is considered "abandon-ware" these days. I believe it's still available, but the creators do not appear to support it).

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »

I have not tried it myself but I have heard others complain when they try to run a remote mix app and a lighting app on the same tablet. Wonky behavior when switching back and forth. My $0.02
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »

Have I missed any android based lighting apps that are good?

Hi John.  ADJ’s MyDMX Go can run on an Android tablet.  The catch is that I believe it must be used with the included wireless access point.  I don’t see that as a huge deal if you’re going to run a dedicated tablet for lighting, but if running double-duty with sound could be a dealer-breaker.  I wouldn’t call MyDMX “good”, but it’s a workable solution in the right environment. 

I’d personally vote for a remote-controlled hardware option versus something that strictly lives on a tablet.  MyDMX Go functions this way, as does any other console or software that allows for a wireless control interface.  Hope this helps!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »

Have a look at the Work LS-core. Quite cheap hardware with remote control.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »

Possibly work with a Windows 10 tablet?
I don't see why not so long as it meets the minimum requirements (which are ridiculously low). The software is free so there's nothing lost if it doesn't work.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

John Simoson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »

Thanks for all the replies on this.  I do have an ipad Air and 2 android tablets so I can use iOS if need be.  I just didnt want to jump feet in with Luminair if other options are comparable to it.  I run Mix Station Pro and also stream Spotify to a bluetooth receiver for break music.  So I could use 1 tablet for lighting and break music and other for Mix Station.

I already have DMXking so I dont think the ADJ MyDMX is an option for me.

I downloaded QLC+ to my pc here.  Seems pretty basic/user friendly.

Has anyone here used Photon? Vibrio? Stagelight?  All in APP store.

Jeff Dine

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »

Thanks for all the replies on this.  I do have an ipad Air and 2 android tablets so I can use iOS if need be.  I just didnt want to jump feet in with Luminair if other options are comparable to it.  I run Mix Station Pro and also stream Spotify to a bluetooth receiver for break music.  So I could use 1 tablet for lighting and break music and other for Mix Station.

I already have DMXking so I dont think the ADJ MyDMX is an option for me.

I downloaded QLC+ to my pc here.  Seems pretty basic/user friendly.

Has anyone here used Photon? Vibrio? Stagelight?  All in APP store.

My scenario is that of bar band that brings PA and lights everywhere we go.  I also run Mixing Station Pro, on both my iPad and my 2 Android tablets.  Sound guy gets a Mixing Station android tablet for FOH and one android stays on stage.  The one on stage is usually displaying song lyrics/setlist (Setlist Helper).  My lights are on ArtNET, on the same wifi network as the mixer.  I use Vibrio on the iPad and just have it scrolling slowly through a variety of scenes.  No movers, no midi, no sync to music.  I have separate sets of front light and wash light scenes.  Fronts are mostly white or amber with a bit of color thrown in here and there for variety.  The washes are very colorful, solid or mixed colors.  Putting Vibrio in the background, or if the tablet gets closed and goes to sleep, just means the changes are paused.  That's probably more a function of how DMX works than a feature.  I like Vibrio for how I use it.  It's easy to set up, and it is reliable. 

I have a basic AuroraDMX install on my Android tablets in case I have a problem with my iPad, like if it fails to find it's way to a gig.  I also have a document that says how to set a static scene manually on my various lights as a last resort. That way I'm not trying to figure it out when things go wrong.  Donner wireless DMX dongles help minimize cable wrapping at the end of the night. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »

Luminair is a very popular option because it works extremely well and is quite powerful.  That being said, there are a smattering of basic DMX/artnet apps out there on a multitude of platforms.  The key with solutions like that though, is the less popular they are, the more on your own you end up.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.