ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New tops for my small powered system.  (Read 17934 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: New tops for my small powered system.
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »

I like the idea of getting 10's - lifting on stands, moving around, packing, space etc etc etc.....
Bearing in mind this rig is for small/mid restaurants, bars and clubs and for band use - rock/pop/country,  would I be sacrificing too much sound wise if I opted for 10's instead of 12's??... Chris isn't convinced 10's will do it for us but I think they will.

The IG4T's  are an even nicer size so still a consideration.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Andy Olsen

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »

Good points Debbie, the form factor of sound equipment is a big factor for me too.
I bought the QuPac partly based on your comments, so thank you.

My DZR's have side handles, and are easy for me to move. Got a good price from Mike.
I haven't used them as mains yet, not sure if they will out run the IG4T's.
Great sound, and I wouldn't mind using them as mains without  subs if it came down to it.

I also considered the DZR10's as well. Might be a great option for you(i'm over six feet so??!!)

I also wonder if price is an issue for you guys as well.

As well as the IG4T's are working for me as mains; for a smaller show, the IG2T's that Douglas suggested; might be
a real option too. The 4T's can really take my head off (in a good way). If you figure to always run with a small sub, I
think an IG2T would hold it's own very well with a DZR10. ( only conjecture on my part based on running the DZR12 and IG4T).

Good luck and have fun with you GAS attack!

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »

Good points Debbie, the form factor of sound equipment is a big factor for me too.

My DZR's have side handles, and are easy for me to move. Got a good price from Mike.
Great sound, and I wouldn't mind using them as mains without  subs if it came down to it.

I also considered the DZR10's as well. Might be a great option for you(i'm over six feet so??!!)

As well as the IG4T's are working for me as mains; for a smaller show, the IG2T's that Douglas suggested; might be
a real option too. The 4T's can really take my head off (in a good way). If you figure to always run with a small sub, I
think an IG2T would hold it's own very well with a DZR10. ( only conjecture on my part based on running the DZR12 and IG4T).

I see the IG4T is a 110 deg horizontal. Does that ever give you issues in small rooms?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »

Yes the QU Pac is pretty awesome!!! I still use it for most of my shows and consider it one of the best investments I have made...

The pricing on the DB stuff is going to be my main problem I think. Having purchased the Danley rig for all but my small shows, I should be more cost conscious for the small powered set-up and as I am restricted by the PRX718 sub output anyway, I don't need crazy SPL.
Mike has been quoting me on some of the aforementioned speakers and he has given me a fantastic price on DZR10's so I am tempted to do that - if I can get as good results with couple of DZR10's as I can with the DSR112's, I think that is where I should be.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 01:45:56 PM »

I see the IG4T is a 110 deg horizontal. Does that ever give you issues in small rooms?

Most average speakers are 90 degrees Left / Right. The IG4T's are 110 L/R. So 10 more degrees each way. When I started using them I didn't  notice much to any difference between a 90 degree and these 110 degree speaker. The horn pattern is also like a pyramid. The bottom of the pyramid is wide and pointing down some. The top of the pyramid is not 110 degrees, it is much tighter to give good coverage in the far field with less high's going up to the ceiling. I believe they are 20 or 30 degrees at the most up. Also the 4 - 6.5 inch drivers give a little vertical control as well. 

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 02:07:49 PM »

I have both the IG4T and IG2T. I used the 2T's under Yorkville LS801pb subs which are pretty beefy for what they are in a smaller room when I first picked them up. They told the band to expect 35 or so and they ended up packed to the gills if you will. I was very surprised at the output. They are roughly 3-4 db's less in output than the IG4T's. I'd put them head to head with your average 12/Horn any day. They only weight in at 28lbs too. Debbie's sub is rated at 134db's so it may be a good match for either the 4t's and the 2T's. I like the larger horn in the 4T's but really like the sound of 2 IG2T's as a stack together. 2 IG2T's are a little louder than 1 IG4T. I have another show in the middle of December I can go out with the 2T's under the subs and are going to give them a good listen this time.   With the subs Debbie has I would use IG2Ts in rooms around 150 and under. IG4T's in the 150/300 dancing, 500 or so people in the street dance, or seated rooms easily. I have a low quality video with the system really not setup right yet with IG2T's over the subs I'll put here. They are a small punchy speaker. 

Douglas R. Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1G3524Q9YE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVv2T2rLCQ

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »

Debbie, again concerning the 10": Don't try it. You will only waste a few thousand $, and maybe loose a gig.

You have a nice system now. I don't see the need for an A and B system. It only costs money. First try to recoup your investment, and learn your system. Get the routine goin'. An A system left at home costs money, and a B system at home also costs money. When are you ever going to use both? It is financially and performancewise better to use 1 A grade system 50 times per year, than 2 systems 25 times per year.

If anything: save for 2 TH118. Sell the 718's. That will give you some options.

Look professional. Be professional.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:46:07 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »

Debbie, again concerning the 10": Don't try it. You will only waste a few thousand $, and maybe loose a gig.

You have a nice system now. I don't see the need for an A and B system. It only costs money. First try to recoup your investment, and learn your system. Get the routine goin'. An A system left at home costs money, and a B system at home also costs money. When are you ever going to use both? It is financially and performancewise better to use 1 A grade system 50 times per year, than 2 systems 25 times per year.

If anything: save for 2 TH118. Sell the 718's. That will give you some options.

Look professional. Be professional.

I have certainly considered this Geert-more than once. However,  in those small clubs, the PRX subs are SO stupid lightweight and easy to move around and to throw up a couple of powered tops makes life easy.
It is tempting to throw more money into a couple more Danley subs and scale the system accordingly to each venue but then as you said, leaving gear at home costs money and for the smaller shows, I'd be leaving a MUCH larger investment at home in the Danleys than in a couple of powered tops and subs I have owned for years that owe me nothing.   
Regarding the 10's ... we are leaning toward the 12's after some thought.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »

Heres my thought.

Get a couple of Go2-8cx they're cheap. Tripod stands, bring one Txxx amp and the prx sub.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

It is much harder to find a decent 10" than a 12", or they are silly money. At least for 10" that can be used with a band.
If they are paired with the JBL PRX718lxf subs for "small" club gigs I don't see how a DXR or DZR10 wouldn't be perfectly suitable. If anything, the subs would be the limiting factor in overall full range output. Keep in mind we're probably talking about a smaller live area and projecting sound a few dozen feet, right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.