ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackmount Mixer w/ Dante  (Read 6484 times)

veditor78

Rackmount Mixer w/ Dante
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »

I'm looking for a rack mount mixer (1U or 2U, not a top rack mount) that also has Dante. I don't need any controls on the front as everything will be set and then recalled with scenes from an iPad.

The only two options I've found so far are the Midas M32R and the Yamaha TF-Rack. Anything else I'm missing?
Josh Rawls

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Rackmount Mixer w/ Dante
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »

I'm looking for a rack mount mixer (1U or 2U, not a top rack mount) that also has Dante. I don't need any controls on the front as everything will be set and then recalled with scenes from an iPad.

The only two options I've found so far are the Midas M32R and the Yamaha TF-Rack. Anything else I'm missing?

Midas M32C with Dante card.  1RU, essentially no other I/O but the 32x32 Dante interface

X32 Rack with Dante Card.  3RU, some local I/O.

Yamaha TF-Rack with Dante Card.  similar to X32-rack above.

If all you want is Dante I/O the M32C is gonna be very hard to beat.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »

Midas M32C with Dante card.  1RU, essentially no other I/O but the 32x32 Dante interface

X32 Rack with Dante Card.  3RU, some local I/O.

Yamaha TF-Rack with Dante Card.  similar to X32-rack above.

The 1u x/m 32 units have their aes50 io too.  Just no onboard analog io.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

I would disagree. It would be very easy to beat because you won’t have head amp control with this setup over Dante.

The TF-Rack with Tio1608 would be my suggestion if it had to be Dante.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »

I would disagree. It would be very easy to beat because you won’t have head amp control with this setup over Dante.

The OP makes no mention of any device needing Head Amp control.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 06:51:01 AM »

The OP makes no mention of any device needing Head Amp control.
I don't need any controls on the front as everything will be set and then recalled with scenes from an iPad.
The M32C would be perfect.
I didn't even know it existed! Now I'm thinking of applications I could use it for.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 08:41:24 AM »

I have a TF-Rack with the Dante card. It works great, but the dante patch in/out of the device is weird. I had to map it myself because I could find no place where it's written down.

Basically the TF has no facility to patch it's dante ins and outs internal to the console which means the dante patch is what it is and you can't change it. Where this gets weird is that on the output side dante 1 through 32 are the channel direct outs. Dante 33 is aux 1, 34 is aux 2, etc...

That was fun to figure out. Other than that it's a great little rack mount desk with a lot of features. I'm using it basically as a system processor for a rodeo arena. I have 8 zones all with delay and eq plus the 10 or so inputs. The Dante lets me send and receive audio to my other buildings when I need to.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »

Another option not mentioned is a Mackie DL32R with Dante card.

If I were starting over, I'd probably go with an M32C.
Colorado Springs, CO

Robert Healey

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 06:45:09 PM »

What is the application? It sounds like you could use a modern DSP.

Look at the QSC Core 110f or Biamp TesiraForte DAN.

MikeHarris

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:21 AM »

Unfortunately it’s not clear if this ‘mixer’ must have mic pre..eq..efx...quantity..analog outs ?

veditor78

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »

Some good questions everyone! Here's some more details.

Bar/nightclub divided into three sections. The main two indoor areas are the main bar room the dance floor room which are separated by a brick wall. The third area is a large L-shaped patio with an outdoor stage. The stage will have its own separate sound system brought in by the band/sound company. An output from that will also feed into the main system.

The idea is to be able to route audio from anywhere to anywhere. For instance, the DJ on the bar and dance floor, the band outside, and the traveling mics through all three areas.

Some of these runs are long and somewhat difficult to do which is why I want to go the Dante route. It's much easier to pull one fiber line than a bunch of analog. Dante will also allow a lot of flexibility.

I would need the basic feedback fighting tools in whatever I used to perform these functions.

I forgot I wouldn't have HA control through Dante on the M32R so I feel that takes it out of consideration. Thanks for that catch!

I'll look into some DSP options. The owner is leaning towards a small Danley rig with the SC48 processor. What else could I use to do simple mixing and routing that has Dante?

Thanks everyone!

Josh Rawls

Robert Healey

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 11:01:35 AM »

Some good questions everyone! Here's some more details.

Bar/nightclub divided into three sections. The main two indoor areas are the main bar room the dance floor room which are separated by a brick wall. The third area is a large L-shaped patio with an outdoor stage. The stage will have its own separate sound system brought in by the band/sound company. An output from that will also feed into the main system.

The idea is to be able to route audio from anywhere to anywhere. For instance, the DJ on the bar and dance floor, the band outside, and the traveling mics through all three areas.

Some of these runs are long and somewhat difficult to do which is why I want to go the Dante route. It's much easier to pull one fiber line than a bunch of analog. Dante will also allow a lot of flexibility.

I would need the basic feedback fighting tools in whatever I used to perform these functions.

I forgot I wouldn't have HA control through Dante on the M32R so I feel that takes it out of consideration. Thanks for that catch!

I'll look into some DSP options. The owner is leaning towards a small Danley rig with the SC48 processor. What else could I use to do simple mixing and routing that has Dante?

Thanks everyone!

This does sound like an application for an open architecture DSP, not a live sound mixer.

QSC Q-Sys currently has AES67 compatibility and will have native Dante compatibility shortly with a firmware update. With that system, you can build a custom UI for an iPad, or QSC offers touchscreens that integrate into the system. The Core 110f is 8x8 with 8 additional flex channels that can be ins or outs. I don't believe that you will need the SC48 if you go with this system.

Biamp and Symetrix also offer similar products with Dante integration and control functions.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »

Yeah I think a DSP box would be a better solution. Something like Soundweb London or Atlas Bluebridge.

There are several awesome little 2 in/2 Out boxes that can be put on a dante network anywhere. The Ins can be mic or line level and they are typically software configurable. So you could drop a node anywhere that you need it like a DJ for example.

https://www.atterotech.com/products/small-form-factor-networked-av-interfaces/analog-io/undio2x2
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

veditor78

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the QSC Q-sys is a great match for what I need and it will allow me to give the customer 1 integrated control, which is a bonus. I'm learning the designer software now and almost have my design complete. Super easy to use and very powerful.
Josh Rawls

MikeHarris

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »

Let us know the cost of your preferred configuration please

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the QSC Q-sys is a great match for what I need and it will allow me to give the customer 1 integrated control, which is a bonus. I'm learning the designer software now and almost have my design complete. Super easy to use and very powerful.

I would highly suggest joining the Qsys SuperUser group on facebook. They cover it all there... the good, bad, and ugly.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.