ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 (Three) Phase Distro tied into single phase (split-phase) supply  (Read 8692 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: 3 (Three) Phase Distro tied into single phase (split-phase) supply
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

It's fine as long as everything you're connecting only needs 120v. If you have 208v or 3-phase motors, obviously it won't work.

Company I used to work for ran into situations often that required single-phase power, so when they re-did their distros, they made them switchable. They're very slick and completely legal. I've never seen another one like them.

That's very neat. Essentially what I want to be able to do. But manually.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »

Either way, I understand that I'll be limited to the maximum supply of a single phase.
240v may or may not work if I'm bridging the wrong circuits.
I can possibly damage 3Ø (phase) equipment.

Also remember that in a 3Ø panel as you will find in the entertainment industry there is no 240V. Each leg is 120V to N, and 208V to each other. For 240V you need single phase, 120V to N, 240V to each other. In industrial use 3Ø is often 240V or 400V phase to phase to power motors wired for those voltages.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 02:00:34 PM »

Also remember that in a 3Ø panel as you will find in the entertainment industry there is no 240V. Each leg is 120V to N, and 208V to each other. For 240V you need single phase, 120V to N, 240V to each other. In industrial use 3Ø is often 240V or 400V phase to phase to power motors wired for those voltages.

Mac

Mac is of course correct Nathan and in older industrial buildings (many up here in rust belt) you have to be on the lookout for high leg delta systems.  This is two 120v legs and one 208V.  I believe the industrial application was motor starters.

With the high leff system you have one 208v to neutral and two 120v.  You still have the single phase 240v available phase to phase on the regular legs.  The high leg is essentially unusable.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »

.....you have to be on the lookout for high leg delta systems.....

Ah, can't get more than a page or two into a Distro thread before the mystical High Leg Delta raises it's ugly head.   ;D ;D
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »

Look at the table for SC cable, that table refers to THHN and other types. That's why I gave the note and reference.

Though, I'm never anywhere near that load and won't run anything even remotely close to 90c and even considering the lower 130A #2 rating my distro is only 100A per phase so I have headroom.
Nathan,

My mistake, forgot the higher ampacity rating of the individual SC cable.
Even at 100A per phase, voltage drop using #2 could still be a concern if you are using the typical 125 feet of feeder and tails fed at some distance from the mains transformer, then adding the usual distance of lighter cable to lights and amplifiers. 

Art

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »

Mac is of course correct Nathan and in older industrial buildings (many up here in rust belt) you have to be on the lookout for high leg delta systems.

You don't have to be in the Rust Belt. The San Francisco Bay Area is rife with them. It's an economical way to get light duty 3-phase and 125/250 single-phase into a building with just 4 wires. And by using "open leg delta" the PoCo only needs to put 2 transformers on the pole. When I ride the train to SF from Palo Alto I pass through miles of light industrial up around San Carlos and every pole has a big pot with 3 secondary wires and a little pot with 2. I assume all those are open and high-leg delta. One gig I do every year in East Palo Alto has such power. Fortunately, these days, I run off a couple of 120 V branch circuits and don't need to muck around in the panel.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »

Mac

Mac is of course correct Nathan and in older industrial buildings (many up here in rust belt) you have to be on the lookout for high leg delta systems.  This is two 120v legs and one 208V.  I believe the industrial application was motor starters.

With the high leff system you have one 208v to neutral and two 120v.  You still have the single phase 240v available phase to phase on the regular legs.  The high leg is essentially unusable.

Not to split hairs, but I was referring to 240v in a single phase source scenario.

But yes, thanks for the clarification both of y'all for anyone "following along at home."

And I am aware of the infamous high leg delta systems :) We have a few around here too actually.

Nathan,

My mistake, forgot the higher ampacity rating of the individual SC cable.
Even at 100A per phase, voltage drop using #2 could still be a concern if you are using the typical 125 feet of feeder and tails fed at some distance from the mains transformer, then adding the usual distance of lighter cable to lights and amplifiers. 

Art
Hey Art,

I don't know... plugging the numbers into calculators on the internet could yield poor results. But this seems to indicate otherwise (5% voltage drop).

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »

Ah, can't get more than a page or two into a Distro thread before the mystical High Leg Delta raises it's ugly head.   ;D ;D

Just be happy we aren't talking about Denmark or parts of Spain.  ;D

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

Hey Art,

I don't know... plugging the numbers into calculators on the internet could yield poor results. But this seems to indicate otherwise (5% voltage drop).
Assuming (an assumption that generally won't be true) that your service entrance maintains a full 120 volts under load, using 125' of #2 loaded at 99 amperes the voltage drops 5% to 114volts. The starting voltage for your cords leading to the distribution panel is 114 volts, using a 75' #12 drawing 19 amps the end of the line voltage drops another 5%, down to 108.3 volts.
Everything may still work OK at the lower voltage, but generally lights will be dimmer and amplifiers will put out less power at the lower voltage when peak power is used.

Art

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »

Assuming (an assumption that generally won't be true) that your service entrance maintains a full 120 volts under load, using 125' of #2 loaded at 99 amperes the voltage drops 5% to 114volts. The starting voltage for your cords leading to the distribution panel is 114 volts, using a 75' #12 drawing 19 amps the end of the line voltage drops another 5%, down to 108.3 volts.
Everything may still work OK at the lower voltage, but generally, lights will be dimmer and amplifiers will put out less power at the lower voltage when peak power is used.

Art

You're right, I forgot to take into account distro > device. Thanks.

---

So to sum up this thread. There's nothing code wise wrong with it. And there's nothing wrong with it if I'm all 120v.
Inspectors might look sideways, but it's probably okay with them.

I'll use this.
https://www.gencable.com/product/16-series-cam-soft-tapping-tee/

Oh and as always, beware of delta squad  :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:30:00 PM by Nathan Riddle »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.