ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The End Of The Road: What Happens When We Come To The End Of Our Touring Days?  (Read 2441 times)

Bob Perry

Have you guys read the latest article from Becky Pell?

Very interesting for us older members, as I find that moving those 32Kg subs are getting more and more difficult, let alone losing my hearing above 11KHz!

Now, I've never been a full time sound professional, but since the '70's, I've been volunteering with bands' and events' rigs from 20 to 3,000 people - mostly in christian circles (though numerous school fetes). Now I run a 3 strong church team with a 10kW Foh and 48/24 digital mixer (A&H GLD80). The knowledge I've built up over the last 45 years has been passed on to local places of worship and schools, in fact, anyone who will listen! (That's the way it is for nerdy enthusiasts!).

So here's my point. Pass on that knowledge.

Ok. So it's way below where we are. Your technical knowledge is leaps and bounds beyond the needs of your local house of worship, (and probably way above mine!), who may have a modest pair of TOA 1*10"'s and a Mono Mixer/Amp running everything unbalanced, and only a wrinkly, (like us), who barely knows how to switch it on! You can add something to the mix, (see what I did there?). I'm not saying that you should barge your way in there and tell 'em they're doing it all wrong. But you can hone your people skills, (the ones ground down when your acts told you they wanted everything louder than everything else!), and gently offer support. You'll be surprised how eagerly your offer will be accepted. Yes it's free, but at least you'll have human interaction again.

Want to feel a part of something again? Want to feel useful again? Need a reason to look forward to getting out of bed?

Come on...Don't let all that wisdom go to waste...It's up to you...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

Have you guys read the latest article from Becky Pell?

Very interesting for us older members, as I find that moving those 32Kg subs are getting more and more difficult, let alone losing my hearing above 11KHz!

Now, I've never been a full time sound professional, but since the '70's, I've been volunteering with bands' and events' rigs from 20 to 3,000 people - mostly in christian circles (though numerous school fetes). Now I run a 3 strong church team with a 10kW Foh and 48/24 digital mixer (A&H GLD80). The knowledge I've built up over the last 45 years has been passed on to local places of worship and schools, in fact, anyone who will listen! (That's the way it is for nerdy enthusiasts!).

So here's my point. Pass on that knowledge.

Ok. So it's way below where we are. Your technical knowledge is leaps and bounds beyond the needs of your local house of worship, (and probably way above mine!), who may have a modest pair of TOA 1*10"'s and a Mono Mixer/Amp running everything unbalanced, and only a wrinkly, (like us), who barely knows how to switch it on! You can add something to the mix, (see what I did there?). I'm not saying that you should barge your way in there and tell 'em they're doing it all wrong. But you can hone your people skills, (the ones ground down when your acts told you they wanted everything louder than everything else!), and gently offer support. You'll be surprised how eagerly your offer will be accepted. Yes it's free, but at least you'll have human interaction again.

Want to feel a part of something again? Want to feel useful again? Need a reason to look forward to getting out of bed?

Come on...Don't let all that wisdom go to waste...It's up to you...

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: The End Of The Road: What Happens When We Come To The End Of Our Touring Days?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 03:05:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.