ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22266 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 09:43:31 PM »

Trying to see if an SM80/th118 rig work for me.

Hi Dave, I’ll throw in my two cents as someone who has heard this system in person at a venue I regularly provide sound for but wasn’t sold. 

Here’s the link from the demo thread.

Without rambling on too much, there’s no doubt that the SM80 over TH118 rig is hard to beat both in bang-to-buck and in form factor.  I think you’d be very hard-pressed to find something with more usable output that can fit in a small vehicle for under the roughly $20-25K that you’d pay for an SM80 over 2x TH118/side system.  That said, is it the right system for you?  As always, it depends...  For me, it wasn’t.

As mentioned further up, using subwoofers with the SM80 is mandatory for anything needing full-range playback.  It’s not even a “nice to have” in the sense how you can limp along a standard 2-way 12” or 15” box if needed...you will get basically no usable output below the advertised frequency response.  For me that’s a dealbreaker.  The majority of my sound work is for the corporate and municipal market, so despite using an SOS rig more often than not I don’t want to NEED subwoofers on every job I play just to make the one song the client needs played to sound right.  In these cases I’m better served with the QSC HPR boxes that I already own, or upgrading to an RCF or Fulcrum option to cover my smaller to medium-sized work.  I’d think a small band playing in a small corner or venue would face the same situation and come to the same conclusion.

On the flip side, the SM80 has its upper limits too.  While an SM80 over TH118 rig would offer some additional output and clarity using less boxes than my current larger rig (2 or 3 U15s over 3 UCS1s per side), it wouldn’t open the door for any new business to extend my upper-end capabilities.  Though more expensive, I’d personally see a much better return on investment with something like an SH46 array or small Jericho rig that would really shine in larger venues. 

In short, if you’re okay with using basically the same setup at any given venue (minus adjustments in subwoofer count) regardless of size and want a premium SOS rig than I’d say go for it!  Otherwise, the system has its uses but isn’t a magic bullet by any means.  While temping, I still don’t see the SM80 in my future.  Hope this helps as some input that differs from the usual viewpoint! 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2019, 02:31:19 AM »

On the flip side, the SM80 has its upper limits too.  While an SM80 over TH118 rig would offer some additional output and clarity using less boxes than my current larger rig (2 or 3 U15s over 3 UCS1s per side), it wouldn’t open the door for any new business to extend my upper-end capabilities.  Though more expensive, I’d personally see a much better return on investment with something like an SH46 array or small Jericho rig that would really shine in larger venues. 

But the SH and Jericho are quite a bit heavier, so become a different level of wrangle also.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2019, 02:52:50 AM »

But the SH and Jericho are quite a bit heavier, so become a different level of wrangle also.

It's all perspective.  If you're looking at EV/QSC/JBL/Mackie/etc speakers on a stick - SM80/TH118XL are amazing.  If you're looking at KF850, Flash/Flood, line arrays - then SH46's or J7's are a better fit.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Slater

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »

What about rock n roll with similar size audience?

Works fine. I'm using a pair of SM80s over 4 TH118s for similar sized crowds and rock bands.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »

Ok I’ll bite.  What types of events are you guys doing? 

Trying to see if an SM80/th118 rig work for me.  I do a lot of summer beer tents, small-to-medium “party in the park” types of things (400-1500 people), and occasional bar gigs.

Currently using SRX725/728 stack, properly powered. 3 or 4 times a year I’ll get a bigger where I build a double stack with 2 subs and 2 tops per side.

I'm in the same boat. I have the same exact setup as you do powered with ITechs. The largest room I do is 1200 people seated with dinner and then dance. I have to setup delay speakers as I don't want to blast the people at the front to get sound to the back of the room. The delays have worked well in this case.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2019, 01:22:31 PM »

I'm in the same boat. I have the same exact setup as you do powered with ITechs. The largest room I do is 1200 people seated with dinner and then dance. I have to setup delay speakers as I don't want to blast the people at the front to get sound to the back of the room. The delays have worked well in this case.
Ya, and the delays don't really need to be anything special. Where it's not practical to run cable, I've been using a couple of those small Yorkville rechargeable speakers with an IEM system run off a matrix and it totally gets the job done (at least for my level of show).
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John A Chiara

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2019, 10:27:09 PM »

I’m of a similar view. The combo of 2 SM80’sover 4TH118xl is really
Good. However it doesn’t compare to my new
setup of 4TH118xls and my Community 2 SLS960 with a 2x12 in
between flown as a horizontal array. The flown rig is flat to about 60 and gives
me tons of capability for low mid guitar stuff and thick vocals if needed and keeping the subs right out of it. I can’t afford to upgrade so next summer this setup will see lots of use.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »

I’m of a similar view. The combo of 2 SM80’sover 4TH118xl is really
Good. However it doesn’t compare to my new
setup of 4TH118xls and my Community 2 SLS960 with a 2x12 in
between flown as a horizontal array. The flown rig is flat to about 60 and gives
me tons of capability for low mid guitar stuff and thick vocals if needed and keeping the subs right out of it. I can’t afford to upgrade so next summer this setup will see lots of use.

John -

What 2x12 are you using?  That was always the rub with 960s, not enough grunt for rock guitar.

Xover settings?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John A Chiara

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2019, 01:30:48 AM »

John -

What 2x12 are you using?  That was always the rub with 960s, not enough grunt for rock guitar.

Xover settings?
SBS22’s loaded with Lab12’s. Plenty of grunt from 3 boxes. Run on almost no power. Flip in some MaxxBass in the 22’s and you can almost do full range playback at pretty good levels. Powering with Crest Powerlite 5.0 DSP amps and they are pretty impressive and cost almost nothing.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »

SBS22’s loaded with Lab12’s. Plenty of grunt from 3 boxes. Run on almost no power. Flip in some MaxxBass in the 22’s and you can almost do full range playback at pretty good levels. Powering with Crest Powerlite 5.0 DSP amps and they are pretty impressive and cost almost nothing.

That sounds like a interesting deployment. Do you have any photos?
You are powering the Danley subs with the Crest amps as well?
Is the MaxxBass the hardware unit or a plug in?
I have the MaxxBCL hardware and it is truly a “magic box”.
Since it essentially doubles the perceived output of your subs in two rack spaces, it is a money and space saver. How much money and space would it take to double your TH118XLs?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2019, 09:08:45 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.