ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22251 times)

Eric Snodgrass

Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »

Doing it internally in the amp, with summing the L/R signal to the sub channel, seems to defeat the purpose of Aux-fed subs, since at that point every input channel being sent to the top will still be sent to the sub anyway. 
Deb, you still have to send two channels to each amp.  Just use a mono Aux out on the SQ (or QuPac) as you sub feed.  Use the Local output on the console to feed the sub channel on the closer amp and assign that same Aux output to one of the outs on the dSnake box to feed the sub channel on the far amp.  Then you can dial in the channels you want to go to the subs on that Aux mix. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »

Well I am drowning myself in gear/ music / software today to stay distracted - I've cried too much so I gotta get back on track. Sorry to share so much guys....and again thank you for your support.

Anyway, I am playing with Armonia right now checking out what I can do there.
I have created a new preset with what I believe gets me the inputs set for 2 channels per amp leaving the presets I already have which I had previously set for 1 XLR input to 2 outputs in stereo per amp.
So now I just have to find out how to sum mono the TH118 side in Armonia if I go the route of summing in the amp.
If I stick with mono sum from the mixer then I'm good to go that way as I have assigned a mono feed from both mixer and D Snake.
If I go with aux subs then I'm set that way too using the same cabling. I do have all my HP filters set on each channel as Scott mentioned earlier so aux sub might not benefit me much but is still an option.

As well as the 3 different ways to sum mono when using the single sub, as have been covered,  there is also the other suggestion made earlier by simply leaving the sub/s to run stereo and when removing one sub, checking out if there is any noticeable material missing below 90hz.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Allred

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »

Do "smaller" shows also mean a vehicle not capable of carrying the 2nd sub? 
And... does a "smaller" show mean that there is physically no room for the 2nd sub?
If the answer to both is NO, why not use both subs and avoid all this configuration headache? 
Except for extreme circumstance (long load in/out distances or stairs), total time increase of what... 5 mins?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »

Do "smaller" shows also mean a vehicle not capable of carrying the 2nd sub? 
And... does a "smaller" show mean that there is physically no room for the 2nd sub?
If the answer to both is NO, why not use both subs and avoid all this configuration headache? 
Except for extreme circumstance (long load in/out distances or stairs), total time increase of what... 5 mins?

Mainly the second scenario really - although getting 2 TH118's in the van wouldn't work so well either so we'd have to take the trailer with us and sometimes that is problematic - parking etc. Sometimes we take 2 vehicles to local shows because it is easier to park them than a trailer.
We have always 'scaled' to the show but to be honest, if using one sub was going to cause a real headache then your suggestion of using both would be the obvious solution. However,  the configurations presented are so easy to carry out, that it seems silly to bring an extra  160lb sub to a show that doesn't require it. Adding one XLR cable to the set up is a much easier option than adding the second TH118.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian c Thomas

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:20 PM »

Not sure of your van size, but I have fit 4x TH118 and 2x SM80 in a rather compact Astrovan when needed.  It’s tight, but they do fit in some small spaces.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2019, 10:40:09 PM »

Not sure of your van size, but I have fit 4x TH118 and 2x SM80 in a rather compact Astrovan when needed.  It’s tight, but they do fit in some small spaces.

But she brings the rest of the PA and the band!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »

But she brings the rest of the PA and the band!

Yes - pretty much!!!..

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »

Used it last night - one sub config. I must have looked such an idiot with a pathetic huge grin across my face the whole night.
It wasn't the biggest of venues so I had to keep my levels lower than I wanted to - I so wanted to let rip! 4 piece rock band - vocals, guitar, bass and drums.

I set the T602's at 0db sub and -12db top for system balance which was where I had it set at my house but once I started playing canned music through the system I  immediately realized that Chris Grimshaw in my last thread was spot on and I needed to be at 0db/-6db for perfect balance.

My first thoughts?.... That TH118 has to be the most musical, clean, defined sub I have ever heard. Kick and bass sounded so good.  I could hear every single note played under 100hz even from the MP3 break music tracks.
It made me realize the subs I had been using had a 'wishy washy' sound to them lacking in definition. The SRX818 and SRX828 are very good subs and most certainly the best I'd used till now but the TH118 is a level above.
The SM80's sounded clean and smooth.  I think I got my amp preset EQ's pretty close to where they need to be - I used a combination of the info provided to me by the helpful peeps here and tweaked to my own liking. The EQ ended up being a slightly modified version of the recommended Danley settings that Mike gave me.
The horns didn't sound harsh at all and I was able to get vocals and guitar to cut through pretty well but stay warm and rich.

The place was thumping and I loved it!...... I won't need to use the second sub for while due to the next few shows being smallish venues but that will be an experience for sure.
The overall level was about the same as what it would have been on my powered system with the master fader on the mixer sitting at 0db.

Setup was a breeze and I am so happy I chose the method I did with keeping each amp stack side and using longer XLR's than Speakons. I had the amp rack on the sub side of the stage placed just behind the sub facing out - out of the way but easily accessible to me if I needed to make any changes. The other rack just stood by the wall on the other side next to the speaker tripod.

I love the recessed Speakon inputs on the SM80's - it keeps the cable looking so neat and tidy.
I got a couple of 90 degree speakon plugs for the TH118's so the cable lays flat against the cab - less strain at the Speakon and doesn't stick out.

I used a 20" sub pole - the speaker could have been a little higher but 20" is about the highest we can lift without using a ladder and in a bar/small club it was enough.

So first time out - very happy indeed. Now I need a good sized venue, both subs, turn up and let her go!!!

Ooh - a couple more things I almost forgot.
I had zero problems with the sound bouncing around even though the room wasn't the best. The system made it easier to 'contain'  the sound.
Also one of the things that always has to be consideration for me is because I use a headset mic to sing, sometimes depending on where I am positioned to mix, I can get a little high frequency feedback - didn't happen last night at all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:36:28 AM by Debbie Dunkley »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

My first thoughts?.... That TH118 has to be the most musical, clean, defined sub I have ever heard. Kick and bass sounded so good.  I could hear every single note played under 100hz even from the MP3 break music tracks.
It made me realize the subs I had been using had a 'wishy washy' sound to them lacking in definition. The SRX818 and SRX828 are very good subs and most certainly the best I'd used till now but the TH118 is a level above.
The SM80's sounded clean and smooth.  I think I got my amp preset EQ's pretty close to where they need to be - I used a combination of the info provided to me by the helpful peeps here and tweaked to my own liking. The EQ ended up being a slightly modified version of the recommended Danley settings that Mike gave me.
The horns didn't sound harsh at all and I was able to get vocals and guitar to cut through pretty well but stay warm and rich.

I love the recessed Speakon inputs on the SM80's - it keeps the cable looking so neat and tidy.
I got a couple of 90 degree speakon plugs for the TH118's so the cable lays flat against the cab - less strain at the Speakon and doesn't stick out.

I used a 20" sub pole - the speaker could have been a little higher but 20" is about the highest we can lift without using a ladder and in a bar/small club it was enough.

I had zero problems with the sound bouncing around even though the room wasn't the best. The system made it easier to 'contain'  the sound.
Also one of the things that always has to be consideration for me is because I use a headset mic to sing, sometimes depending on where I am positioned to mix, I can get a little high frequency feedback - didn't happen last night at all.

Exactly.  I've been telling folks these things for years.  Better sound, easier work for the engineer.  I just demo'd a pair of SH95 I have to the Irish pub I'm house engineer at, looking to replace the 20 year old Bag End TA12xx cabinets there.  Set them up on stands right next to those, and had my TH Mini subs on the floor in between coupled.

Needless to say, the difference was night and day.  The house sub is a single 15" Eminence driver I designed and built years ago(so you know it was better than they usual stuff. ;D), but the difference in kick and bass playing was very evident, let alone with the difference in the tops.

Best regards,

John

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

Used it last night - one sub config. I must have looked such an idiot with a pathetic huge grin across my face the whole night.
It wasn't the biggest of venues so I had to keep my levels lower than I wanted to - I so wanted to let rip! 4 piece rock band - vocals, guitar, bass and drums.

I set the T602's at 0db sub and -12db top for system balance which was where I had it set at my house but once I started playing canned music through the system I  immediately realized that Chris Grimshaw in my last thread was spot on and I needed to be at 0db/-6db for perfect balance.

The place was thumping and I loved it!...... I won't need to use the second sub for while due to the next few shows being smallish venues but that will be an experience for sure.
The overall level was about the same as what it would have been on my powered system with the master fader on the mixer sitting at 0db.

Setup was a breeze and I am so happy I chose the method I did with keeping each amp stack side and using longer XLR's than Speakons. I had the amp rack on the sub side of the stage placed just behind the sub facing out - out of the way but easily accessible to me if I needed to make any changes. The other rack just stood by the wall on the other side next to the speaker tripod.

So first time out - very happy indeed. Now I need a good sized venue, both subs, turn up and let her go!!!

I believe this to be fake news. Not a picture in sight!  ;D ;D  Glad you like the new system. Now that you've had your first night on them do you still feel you need a B system and will want to go out with it?  How was the Coaxial Tops. Sound different or close enough to what you had that it didn't take much to get where you wanted to be? Keep the reports coming if you have the time!
Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 02:47:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.