ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22270 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 06:34:45 PM »

Maybe I haven't explained things well - I don't know but this is what I'm going to do unless anyone has a better idea KEEPING a two channel amp each side of the stage powering both a top and a sub each.

I will assign mono summing to both ALT out on the mixer and an output in my D Snake. Then, when I run one sub at a show, on that side I can connect 1 for mono sub and the other for L or R top and connect only one to the top on the side with no sub.
I can then use the same set up when I run 2 subs by using both the ALT out on the mixer and the L+R output in the D snake and then run 2 XLR's per side.

My other option is still aux sub but I'll see how this works for me to start.

My only question at this point is about the channel gain settings on the amps as I mentioned before.
Right now using  left to one amp and right to the other means I have the channel input side set to feed both output channels from channel 1 by having channel 1 gain up full and channel 2 gain off.
Now I need to set the channel input gains so input 1 feeds output 1 and 2 feeds 2.
Do I just turn up channel 2 input like channel 1?
This might sound stupid but I'm just making sure....

I believe that the ALT OUT on the QU does not follow the master fader, it has it's own independent level control. Also, I don't believe you can adjust the ALT OUT level via iPad. As others have suggested, using the channel summing feature in the power amps will be the most elegant solution.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »

My metrices are only stereo.

For a mono sub wouldn't it be easier to use 1 amp setup for processing the tops with the other amp for the single sub configured to mono a Y off the first amps L/R outs and setup for the sub?  Just have both power amps setup on 1 side. Your running 1 sub so have it on that side or center of stage. Most it would take is 1 long Speakon to feed the SM80 on the other side. I don't know what the amps can do but maybe even bridge the sub amp if it will still mono the L/R inputs.
Store the configuration so you'll have it when you need to do this.
Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:59:12 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »

I believe that the ALT OUT on the QU does not follow the master fader, it has it's own independent level control. Also, I don't believe you can adjust the ALT OUT level via iPad. As others have suggested, using the channel summing feature in the power amps will be the most elegant solution.

Alt out DOES follow master fader as well as having an independent level control. I have used it this way many times.
I cannot use summing in the  amps because I am using channel 1 for sub and channel 2 for top in each amp. I don't want summed mono for the tops.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »

For a mono sub wouldn't it be easier to use 1 amp setup for processing the tops with the other amp for the single sub configured to mono a Y off the first amps L/R outs and setup for the sub?  Just have both power amps setup on 1 side. Your running 1 sub so have it on that side or center of stage. Most it would take is 1 long Speakon to feed the SM80 on the other side. I don't know what the amps can do but maybe even bridge the sub amp if it will still mono the L/R inputs.
Store the configuration so you'll have it when you need to do this.
Douglas R. Allen

That is an option but I want to stick to my plan of keeping my Speakon cables short and not crossing the stage, placing an amp per side next to the speaker stacks and being able to utilize my D snake to output the side opposite my mixer.
I used to run my passive SRX system using all amps in one rack - 1 amp for subs, 1 amp for tops but I am doing things a little differently this time.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »

That is an option but I want to stick to my plan of keeping my Speakon cables short and not crossing the stage, placing an amp per side next to the speaker stacks and being able to utilize my D snake to output the side opposite my mixer.
I used to run my passive SRX system using all amps in one rack - 1 amp for subs, 1 amp for tops but I am doing things a little differently this time.

With all those factors I would just use the crossovers in the amp and run the rig in stereo.  As I mentioned earlier I am sure you have all your inputs high passed appropriately to keep the mud out of your mix so the aux fed some seems like a diminishing return once this entire picture is factored in.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »

Alt out DOES follow master fader as well as having an independent level control. I have used it this way many times.
I cannot use summing in the  amps because I am using channel 1 for sub and channel 2 for top in each amp. I don't want summed mono for the tops.

You are misunderstanding the way the matrix in the amp works. If you have a left and right xlr feeding each amp, then the matrix lets you use EITHER input solely for the channel powering the top and BOTH inputs for the channel powering the sub. That means that you can have mono summing for the subs AND left/right stereo for the tops using one amp per side.

You would still probably want to create a preset for this as your summed inputs will have to be set to the correct gain for system balance.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »

Can you not just run the mono sub on aux feed out of 2 connectors, one SR and one SL? You would have R+sub come out of your stage box, and L+sub come out of the console itself?

Mac

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2019, 07:31:32 PM »

You are misunderstanding the way the matrix in the amp works. If you have a left and right xlr feeding each amp, then the matrix lets you use EITHER input solely for the channel powering the top and BOTH inputs for the channel powering the sub. That means that you can have mono summing for the subs AND left/right stereo for the tops using one amp per side.

You would still probably want to create a preset for this as your summed inputs will have to be set to the correct gain for system balance.

Thanks for explaining that Mike. I'll look into  it- still not really clear on it right now.
Looks like I'd use 2 XLRs per side using either method - either summing in the amp or taking a summed L & R from the D snake or the mixer ALT out.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »

Can you not just run the mono sub on aux feed out of 2 connectors, one SR and one SL? You would have R+sub come out of your stage box, and L+sub come out of the console itself?

Mac

I'm trying to choose the best method when only using one single sub.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »

I'm trying to choose the best method when only using one single sub.

It would remain the same, you just wouldn't run the sub feed to one side, or you would, but not deploy the sub.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.