ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My new Danley System  (Read 22273 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
My new Danley System
« on: November 11, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »

Reference: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172121.0.html

As you know, for the Danley system, I have chosen to use a 2 channel amp per side running stereo to be able to utilize the D snake as I did before with the SRX powered system. A lot of the shows will only require one sub but I still want to stick to stereo and keep the cabling tidy - nothing running across the stage. With the powered system it was easy with one sub as it had 2 channels - my stereo field is only really used for guitar and keys and to separate instruments that share the same frequency space.
Would I be best to run the sub separately from an aux and keep it mono ? Otherwise I'll only be sending only one side of the stereo field for everything under 90hz.

I only use the DSP in the Powersoft T602 amps - no other processing.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: My new Danley System
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:21:58 PM »

As you know, for the Danley system, I have chosen to use a 2 channel amp per side running stereo to be able to utilize the D snake as I did before with the SRX powered system. A lot of the shows will only require one sub but I still want to stick to stereo and keep the cabling tidy - nothing running across the stage. With the powered system it was easy with one sub as it had 2 channels - my stereo field is only really used for guitar and keys and to separate instruments that share the same frequency space.
Would I be best to run the sub separately from an aux and keep it mono ? Otherwise I'll only be sending only one side of the stereo field for everything under 90hz.

I read your question in the other post, and have read it again three times and I don't understand the question. 

The amp is still the central point, you have to cable back to the amp correct?  How does the D-Snake come into play?

From a theoretical standpoint there is no separation at LF as they are unidirectional, however there is LF content in both channels so if you have stereo sources they need to be summed to get a mono base feed. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »

Congrats on the new supercool toys, ENJOY.  I must point out you could have called this thread "Debbie's Darling Danleys". 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »

I would use an Aux Send, but that's my preferred method regardless of circumstance. 

Does the DSP in the Amps provide a way to sum Left and Right inputs?  That would provide the same functionality you had before, if that's what you would prefer to do.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:28:06 PM »

Congrats on the new supercool toys, ENJOY.  I must point out you could have called this thread "Debbie's Darling Danleys".

ha ha  :D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »

I read your question in the other post, and have read it again three times and I don't understand the question. 

The amp is still the central point, you have to cable back to the amp correct?  How does the D-Snake come into play?

From a theoretical standpoint there is no separation at LF as they are unidirectional, however there is LF content in both channels so if you have stereo sources they need to be summed to get a mono base feed.

I have gotten used to placing the D snake opposite side of the stage to the mixer - mixer is usually on stage and I mix with iPad. Then of course I have easy access to input on that opposite side of the stage PLUS I can feed the opposite stack from the D snake too.
So I would like to do a similar thing now using the Danleys. Add to that I can place each PS amp stack side and not run cables across the stage. Each amp powers both sub and top each side. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 06:38:16 PM »

I have gotten used to placing the D snake opposite side of the stage to the mixer - mixer is usually on stage and I mix with iPad. Then of course I have easy access to input on that opposite side of the stage PLUS I can feed the opposite stack from the D snake too.
So I would like to do a similar thing now using the Danleys. Add to that I can place each PS amp stack side and not run cables across the stage. Each amp powers both sub and top each side.

In this case, i'd use the mixer to "sum" the L and R as it's the simplest choice.  If you don't have matrices to do that with, then Aux fed subs are the next logical choice.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »

I would use an Aux Send, but that's my preferred method regardless of circumstance. 

Does the DSP in the Amps provide a way to sum Left and Right inputs?  That would provide the same functionality you had before, if that's what you would prefer to do.

I am using each amp to power subs channel 1 and top channel 2 so I couldn't sum the channels using this method.
I can only think of 2 ways to do this:
1) Use aux for sub as I suggested before or 
2) Use Alt out (QU PAC mixer) assigning L&R summed to both outputs. This is a 1/4" though from the board BUT XLRM if I go from the D snake.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »

In this case, i'd use the mixer to "sum" the L and R as it's the simplest choice.  If you don't have matrices to do that with, then Aux fed subs are the next logical choice.

LOL - I posted a few seconds after you Brian. Yes I think this is the logical choice.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

Next question - maybe Chris??

If I choose to send summed signal to one of the amps when using a single sub and want to retain stereo for the tops, then I would need to send 2 feeds that side - 1 aux to the sub and one side main to the top.
I currently have the DSP in the amps set up for one sub and top PER side and only need to input 1 channel from mixer/snake to each amp but both outputs then respond appropriately to feed sub and  top.

Would I now just turn up channel 2 input in Armonia software and program that set in the amp as a 'one sub configuration' preset?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.